New Dell Laptop Can't get 4k 60hz on new LG monitor

omar_fernandez

Reputable
Aug 23, 2018
I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 with an integrated Intel HD630 and a Nvidia GTX 1050. I plug an LG27UK650 into the HDMI port using a high speed HDMI cable and cannot find a way to get 4k at 60hz. I have made sure to download the latest drivers for both Nvidia and Intel and even Dell. I tried adding a resolution within the intel graphics program but i am told it exceeds the bandwidth. Any suggestions?

Intel HD Graphics only support HDMI 1.4, which is limited to 30 Hz at 4K. You need to disable integrated graphics so that the HDMI port is connected to the NVIDIA GPU instead. The laptop may have an option for this in the BIOS. If not, you may be out of luck.

omar_fernandez

Reputable
Aug 23, 2018
Thanks! Unfortunately you are correct. Having said that, I did find a work-around. I purchased a Type-C USB to HDMI connector and that worked like a charm! I now get to view my screen at 60hz. Now, I just need to figure out how to get my laptop to realize that its HDR compatible! I bet its something similar to having to disable the fricken Intel Integrated HD630 as you described.