[SOLVED] New Dell S2721DGF 165Hz - Can't get decent FPS even on older games.

Aug 13, 2020
Hi,
So I just got the new Dell S2721DGF monitor and I’ve been having trouble getting good FPS even on older games. It’s a 165HZ monitor (when using DP 1.4, which I am), yet I can’t get any game to get anywhere near that, nor can I seem to even get it to be stable. I’ve tried the latest Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, even with graphics settings on low and the FPS fluctuates between 80-120. I’ve tried a bunch of older games, including Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1, and Battlefield V. All of them bounce between 80-120 fps. BF4 actually stays around 80-90. I can understand that the CPU may be bottlenecking the latest CoD, but I can’t imagine why these older Battlefield games can’t get higher FPS.

I’ve checked in both Windows and NV Control Panel to make sure the monitor is set to the right refresh rate, etc.
I’ve used several monitoring programs, like Core Temp and HW Monitor and they show everything being at normal temps. The CPU never really goes above 70 degrees Celsius. The highest it’s ever gone was 72 degrees and that was for a few seconds. The GPU gets up to 70 (but never beyond) in CoD at High settings, but the other games stay below 60. CPU and GPU usage in Task Manger never really goes beyond 70-80%.

I’m thinking the issue may just be the PSU is too weak and I should get a new one, but I figured I’d put this out there in case there’s something else I missed. The fact that BF4 is only getting around 80 fps seems weird to me.

Here’s my basic specs:
CPU: i7-6700K
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: EVGA Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
PSU: 460W stock Dell

Here’s the original PC that I ordered from NewEgg: https://www.newegg.com/dell-xps-8900-x8900-8756blk/p/N82E16883159539?Item=N82E16883159539
The only things I changed were the M.2 SSD (the original died) and the GPU. I also added a couple Samsung 860 EVO SSDs.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Solution
2060 Super is a 1080p card, your monitor is 1440p... so this all sounds normal.
As for the fps fluctuations, use G-Sync.
I'd definitely upgrade that PSU though to 650W+, and don't go cheap on it.
Hi,
So I just got the new Dell S2721DGF monitor and I’ve been having trouble getting good FPS even on older games. It’s a 165HZ monitor (when using DP 1.4, which I am), yet I can’t get any game to get anywhere near that, nor can I seem to even get it to be stable. I’ve tried the latest Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, even with graphics settings on low and the FPS fluctuates between 80-120. I’ve tried a bunch of older games, including Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1, and Battlefield V. All of them bounce between 80-120 fps. BF4 actually stays around 80-90. I can understand that the CPU may be bottlenecking the latest CoD, but I can’t imagine why these older Battlefield games can’t get higher FPS.

I’ve checked in both Windows and NV Control Panel to make sure the monitor is set to the right refresh rate, etc.
I’ve used several monitoring programs, like Core Temp and HW Monitor and they show everything being at normal temps. The CPU never really goes above 70 degrees Celsius. The highest it’s ever gone was 72 degrees and that was for a few seconds. The GPU gets up to 70 (but never beyond) in CoD at High settings, but the other games stay below 60. CPU and GPU usage in Task Manger never really goes beyond 70-80%.

I’m thinking the issue may just be the PSU is too weak and I should get a new one, but I figured I’d put this out there in case there’s something else I missed. The fact that BF4 is only getting around 80 fps seems weird to me.

Here’s my basic specs:
CPU: i7-6700K
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: EVGA Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
PSU: 460W stock Dell

Here’s the original PC that I ordered from NewEgg: https://www.newegg.com/dell-xps-8900-x8900-8756blk/p/N82E16883159539?Item=N82E16883159539
The only things I changed were the M.2 SSD (the original died) and the GPU. I also added a couple Samsung 860 EVO SSDs.

Thanks for any help you can give!
I would use a volto meter to test the psu it may not be providing strong enough outputs for everything.

Reactions: KafkaBorges
Aug 10, 2020
So what was your frame rate for the "old monitor"? There is nothing in the monitor refresh rate that would cause the frame rate that is delivered by your game to change. Since the human eye can't detect frame changes faster than 72 frames per second, and human reaction time .3 seconds, I don't see this as a problem. Possibly you increased resolution; if I increase monitor from 1280x720 to 1600x900 the frame is larger so frame rate decreases.

Aug 13, 2020
So what was your frame rate for the "old monitor"? There is nothing in the monitor refresh rate that would cause the frame rate that is delivered by your game to change. Since the human eye can't detect frame changes faster than 72 frames per second, and human reaction time .3 seconds, I don't see this as a problem. Possibly you increased resolution; if I increase monitor from 1280x720 to 1600x900 the frame is larger so frame rate decreases.

My "old monitor" is a DELL U2412m. So, it's 1080p, 60 Hz, 8ms. Part of the issue isn't just the actual frames per second, but the wild fluctuation. I'd be more okay with only 120 fps, if the 120 fps was actually stable, but it isn't. From what I understand, the constant wild fluctuations (no matter what is happening) from 80-125 fps can be problematic. Even still, the fact that Battlefield 4, a game from 2014, can't hit 120, let alone 144 or 165 seems weird to me. While it's true that the human eye can only see so much, the faster frame rate helps to ensure that what I'm seeing on the screen is more accurate in terms of player location, which is important in fast-paced games. It also helps to minimize ghosting and screen-tearing, which is, again, important in fast-paced games.

Aug 15, 2020
2060 Super is a 1080p card, your monitor is 1440p... so this all sounds normal.
As for the fps fluctuations, use G-Sync.
I'd definitely upgrade that PSU though to 650W+, and don't go cheap on it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS