New Dell XPS 15 9550 Battery Installation Help

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
I have a old dell xps 9550 and bought a new dell xps 9550 battery and am pretty sure I put in the screws and everything else correctly.

It at the moment, did not have any battery because I had it removed at a computer repair shop not long ago due to it being swollen. That was the smaller 56wh battery but i got the bigger battery. After I put the new battery in and put in the screws, I connected the ac charger to it as I recall before you turn on the laptop with new battery, you need to connect it ac charger right?

Well what i noticed was when i connected ac charger to it... the bottom of my laptop under the trackpad was flashing white and orange. Is that normal? When I saw this for a few seconds, I unplugged the ac charger. I also did not power on my laptop yet. Is that a concern i saw flashes of white and orange when charging it?

I don't think i ever seen that before when charging my laptop when it had a battery? Then again, I don't think i look under the trackpad when it charges. So could i just power it on with the ac charger and see what happens?

Laptop is bought from parts people so its a legit genuine battery and I think i installed it correctly.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Okay so i connected my ac charger to it again... and i noticed it flashed orange light four times... then white once... then flashed orange four times... then white once ... repeatedly.

Again I did this without powering on my laptop with the new battery. I googled this and I read its either a bad battery or its possible it does that if the battery is really low percentage. Now is there any risk if i power it on while ac charged or not?

When i saw those four orange flashes and one white light flash, it didn't seem good. So what should I do now? Should i open up my laptop again to see if its properly plugged in? Im pretty sure i put in the battery correct. I mean there is no risk of turning on the laptop power on while ac charged right?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Okay so I decided to open up the laptop inside again and remove the screws of the laptop outside and the screws connecting the new battery and try to realign the battery in case it wasn't connected properly. Now after I did all this, then screwed everything back to the battery, then closed up my laptop.

I then plugged the ac charger to it. It showed a white light only for a second. No orange lights or anything like that. Then while plugged in... I powered it on... it powered on with no issue... but then it shows no battery is detected though in the bottom right corner.

So I assume me moving the battery a bit inside did some change to it since it doesn't show those orange and white flash lights?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Okay this is beyond weird.

I shut down my laptop while plugged in of course. I then unplug the ac charger. Then few seconds later power on my laptop without the charger connected to it... and my laptop turns on... how does that even happen when it shows no battery is detected? but the dell logo and then the windows screen shows up but it seems to take a long time to all load.

I then open up chrome and it takes a while and then loads the pages. During this time, it still shows no battery is detected in the bottom right... while its working without plugged in.

Then the moment i plug the ac charger into the laptop, the laptop suddenly powers off?

Then while the ac charger is still connected... i powered it back on and it works. So right now im back to using it plugged in.

Im not even sure if i unplug the charger right now when using it if it will power off immediately or not...

Could be the battery is defective or something in the battery detection and charging system is damaged. Check for damaged or bent battery pins. A lot of aftermarket batteries are unreliable. Although battery selling in the 9550 appears common. As one of the BIOS revisions is supposed to help with that.

You can try the latest BIOS. A couple of BIOS revisions corrected some battery issues. The latest should include all prior corrections. Make sure the linked is your laptop model. You don't want to install the wrong BIOS. as that can cause serious issues.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...t/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers/advanced

You may also try resetting the CMOS. Which requires removal of the CMOS battery. Which I would replace given how cheap they are and how complex the procedure is.

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
Could be the battery is defective or something in the battery detection and charging system is damaged. Check for damaged or bent battery pins. A lot of aftermarket batteries are unreliable. Although battery selling in the 9550 appears common. As one of the BIOS revisions is supposed to help with that.

You can try the latest BIOS. A couple of BIOS revisions corrected some battery issues. The latest should include all prior corrections. Make sure the linked is your laptop model. You don't want to install the wrong BIOS. as that can cause serious issues.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...t/product/xps-15-9550-laptop/drivers/advanced

You may also try resetting the CMOS. Which requires removal of the CMOS battery. Which I would replace given how cheap they are and how complex the procedure is.

Hi. Yes that is my laptop. But i never did bios update because i heard years ago, updating it could brick a laptop. So you still suggest this?

The battery i bought was from parts people which is legit dell batteries.

But when i connected the battery to it... the end of it has those pins and like a rainbow thing. I basically connected it inside the thing to see if it fits... and when it did... i figure okay it should work. But could that be it maybe?