Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2018
On 17-dec-2018 I connected the following hardware

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon AC Motherboard Schwarz
Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake S CPU - 3.6 GHz
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 4000MHz C19 XMP 2.0
Corsair RM650x v2 (2018)
Noctua NH-D15
Samsung 860 EVO MZ-76E250B - 250 GB - 2.5" - SATA 6Gb/s - buffer: 512 MB - 256-bit AES

I use the Intel UHD graphics. I installed the drivers from the DVD that come with the motherboard, and I also downloaded and installed the latest BIOS update.

Today for the 4th time (1st after BIOS update) the screen image froze. Every time it has happened I haven't been doing any heavy computations and the CPU temp according to CAM is 31 degree.

The first time it happened while scrolling in matlab, and the second time (2 min later) it happened while scrolling in the same file in matlab. Third time it happen in the moment I click the youtube logo to get to the front page.

I didn't adjust anything in the BIOS settings.

What could be the cause? Is there anything I can do to avoid these freezes?

ubaten

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
Having similar problem. Random freezes. I'm starting to suspect the motherboard because
I've pulled most components out, and the freezes are occurring during the Win 10 install.

MSI MPG Z390 gaming Pro Carbon AC
Intel i9-9900 (non-K) LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD

So... Pulled the M.2 SSD out and tried to install to a USB HDD: freezes
Pulled out the RAM and left one stick in the #2 DIMM position per MB instructions: freezes
Rotated each RAM stick through #2 DIMM spot: freezes
Pulled the video card and tried using onboard video: freezes
Just happened to have an old Win10 install USB stick laying around: freezes
Pulled the keyboard and tried to install with mouse: freezes
Pulled mouse and tried to install with keyboard: freezes
Pulled some non essential cables from the MB like the RGB control: freezes

During two of the freezes while I was reading through manuals and double checking connections and taking a long time to reboot, BSOD actually popped up! Error was DPC_Watchdog_Violation both times. BSOD said it would collect data and reboot, but it never got past 0%.

Probably going to RMA the motherboard tomorrow.

Jul 13, 2019
Having similar problem. Random freezes. I'm starting to suspect the motherboard because
I've pulled most components out, and the freezes are occurring during the Win 10 install.

MSI MPG Z390 gaming Pro Carbon AC
Intel i9-9900 (non-K) LGA 1151
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD

So... Pulled the M.2 SSD out and tried to install to a USB HDD: freezes
Pulled out the RAM and left one stick in the #2 DIMM position per MB instructions: freezes
Rotated each RAM stick through #2 DIMM spot: freezes
Pulled the video card and tried using onboard video: freezes
Just happened to have an old Win10 install USB stick laying around: freezes
Pulled the keyboard and tried to install with mouse: freezes
Pulled mouse and tried to install with keyboard: freezes
Pulled some non essential cables from the MB like the RGB control: freezes

During two of the freezes while I was reading through manuals and double checking connections and taking a long time to reboot, BSOD actually popped up! Error was DPC_Watchdog_Violation both times. BSOD said it would collect data and reboot, but it never got past 0%.

Probably going to RMA the motherboard tomorrow.

I had the same issue, its because of the ram frequency , i have vengeance also . disable the xml so the ram can stay at 2133 Mhz, my pc stopped freezing after that , i will update if i will have anything new.

ubaten

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
Going to assume you meant XMP. Tried that both enabled and disabled. Both scenarios still freeze. One feedback comment suggested manually changing RAM MHz, too, because he was having a problems with unstable system. I noticed my Bios reported 2133Mhz when the RAM packaging said 2666Mhz. Toggled between both speeds... still no luck. MB is RMA'd. Replacement coming soon. We'll see...
BTW thanks for the suggestion.

ubaten

Reputable
Jul 7, 2019
Finishing this as I'm finally up and running. 10 days later... UGH!

RMA'd motherboard did the trick. It installed Win 10 just fine and booted right up. Immediately ran into another problem where the wireless adapter would throw a code 10 error in the Windows device manager. This usually means bad driver or hardware problem. Neither new nor old drivers would clear the error. There's a Reddit thread where a whole slew of people also have their Intel Wireless AC 9560's go on the fritz. Someone figured out resetting the BIOS gets the wireless going again. In my MSI BIOS, there's no reset menu item, so I jumpered JBAT on the motherboard for about 5 seconds to reset. That didn't work. But you know what does work? A $50 PCI wireless card. =)

There's no way I can leave a good review for this board. I've had 2 shipped to me and both had problems. I just hope this replacement lasts.

Good luck with your Gigabyte, hbkz0r!

Status
Not open for further replies.