[SOLVED] New desktop won't power on unless I turn off PSU for a few seconds then turn it back on.

May 13, 2021
Hey, i just built a new desktop and am pretty new to all of this. But there is one issue I am finding in my build.

When I try to power it on, it wont turn on unless I turn off the PSU for a few seconds and then turn it on, then press the power button.

When I first built it and turned it on and stuff it was fine. didn't need to worry. hell, the second time I turned it on it was fine. but afterwards it started to show these symptoms.

build:
  • CPU: Intel I9 10850k 10th generation
  • Motherboard: MSI z590 wifi pro
  • GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
  • RAM: Ballistic Crucial 32 gb 3200 DDR4 DRAM
  • PSU: MSI A750LLLGF 750 W
When I do power it on everything is all right, it runs well, i can game, do homework, do work, listen to music, everything. the issue comes when I try to power it on. the power button on the front doesn't seem to work unless I turn off the PSU and then I turn it back on. I don't think that's normal.

another symptom i am finding is when i put my desktop to sleep it stays asleep no matter what. I leave for a few minutes and then I come back tryuing to wake it up with either my keyboard, mouse, or power button but it doesn't unless i turn off the psu and then turn it on. I think that can be harmful to the build and I'm stumped on what the issue can be.

May 13, 2021
I turned it off for 3 minutes and was able to turn it on. but when i leave it off for an hour or more then it seems to not want to turn on unless I do the aforementioned psu fix. what should I be doing here?

I feel like fixing one issue will fix the other. but I have no idea what to do here.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021
It's either the Mother board or the power supply. I would start with the PSU and if you still have the same issue then it's the Mother board.
The sleep issue makes me lean toward the Mobo being the problem but I wouldn't rush to sending that back unless I was still in the 30 day refund window or was absolutely sure it was failing.
There are plenty of PC shops around getting a used PSU is easy.
OR, send parts back and sit around waiting for shipping testing and potentially repair times. GL

May 13, 2021
It's either the Mother board or the power supply. I would start with the PSU and if you still have the same issue then it's the Mother board.
The sleep issue makes me lean toward the Mobo being the problem but I wouldn't rush to sending that back unless I was still in the 30 day refund window or was absolutely sure it was failing.
There are plenty of PC shops around getting a used PSU is easy.
OR, send parts back and sit around waiting for shipping testing and potentially repair times. GL
I was actually thinking that maybe the power switch could be an issue. I ran a test where i jumped the power switch completely and used a screwdriver to power the device and it worked just fine. i unplugged some stuff and plugged them back in and i found that not only did it power on but it powered on instantly compared to previously when it started about 2 seconds later. so i think my issue could have been some loose cables. I'll get back to you on that. I'll see if tomorrow morning it wont start up.

May 13, 2021
reading a bit from Intel's support page it says that if i was able to jump start the system then issue is most likely the case. if i can't get it to work, then imma switch the reset cable with the power cable and try to use the reset cable to power on my pc. But i shall see what happens.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
reading a bit from Intel's support page it says that if i was able to jump start the system then issue is most likely the case. if i can't get it to work, then imma switch the reset cable with the power cable and try to use the reset cable to power on my pc. But i shall see what happens.

Sounds solid, I see you verified that PSU/motherboard is probably fine as well. Any updates OP?

May 13, 2021
Sounds solid, I see you verified that PSU/motherboard is probably fine as well. Any updates OP?
yea i thought it was fixed, but i guess not. Im testing one last thing before checking out a different mobo. im switching the functionality of the reset and power button and see if it starts fine. if not then idk.

its weird cause sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
yea i thought it was fixed, but i guess not. Im testing one last thing before checking out a different mobo. im switching the functionality of the reset and power button and see if it starts fine. if not then idk.

its weird cause sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

Intermittent connection maybe? Sometimes the wires connect, other times they don't. I don't think you need a new motherboard; it works fine when the proper pins are jumped. The case wires should do the same, jumping the pins for a moment to signal power on.