New Details Revealed on AMD's Upcoming Richland Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I hope the FM2 still has an upgrade path after Richland.

AMD promised another chip for FM2 after Trinity.

In reality - Richland is like a new stepping of Trinity.

I hope that doesn't count as a new upgrade for Trinity, because if AMD abandons FM2...

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
It's nice to see a steady stream of positive news for AMD. The previous two years every article was about layoffs, C level departures, and bulldozer's disappointment. The PS4 was a huge win for AMD, I'm guessing both monetarily and in notoriety.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]Soon we will have HGPCs (home gaming pc) instead of HTPCs.[/citation]

Any difference from our good old gaming desktop?

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]I hope the FM2 still has an upgrade path after Richland.AMD promised another chip for FM2 after Trinity. In reality - Richland is like a new stepping of Trinity. I hope that doesn't count as a new upgrade for Trinity, because if AMD abandons FM2...[/citation]
still better than intel when was the last time they kept a socket? 775?

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]I want this in a tablet! The atom tablets are tempting, but probably wouldn't game as well as these chips[/citation]
Tried the windows 8 tablet with the Atom dual core N2600 1.6Ghz and GMA graphics, and graphics sucks, I also noticed there is a little fan on the CPU to keep it cool, that makes the bettery life short rather. Hope to see an AMD based soon.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bjaminnyc[/nom]I'm guessing both monetarily[/citation]

Doubtful. If AMD was to get a decent amount of money from console GPUs, the Wii and XBox 360 probably would've helped keep them very much afloat.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
[citation][nom]maxinexus[/nom]I don't think this will be enough for 4k/5k TVs[/citation]

Depends on what you mean. If you mean video playback, then yes, it would be enough. If you are talking about gaming at 4K/5K, then no, but most gpus cant play AAA games at that anyway.

i see that the slide about richland being 50% faster than core i7 isn't here. :D yes, there's a promo slide like that.
the measures they took to improve power efficiency seem good.

if kaveri indeed adds support for gddr5/ddr4, amd may change kaveri's pin count.

no. lga 1156 supported nehalem and some of the westmere cpus(arrendale) iirc. lga 1155 supported sb and ivb. lga2011 will(rumored) support ivy bridge-e. haswell and broadwell will(rumored) fit lga1150.
amd hasn't integrated anything or added support for new ram since am3/am3+, that's why they didn't change sockets. they spun it as doing service to customers though. convenient.
when they put pcie controller on die, they introduced a new, incompatible platform (fm1) right away. :)

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Anyone know how theses APUs compares to the 4600M...is the 4600M between the A8-5550M and A105750M or weaker then the A8 5550M? I;m only asking in gaming terms as I might by a laptop for light gaming and the 4600M is available for well under $500 these days (I have a desktop for full gaming).

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]amdfangirl[/nom]I hope the FM2 still has an upgrade path after Richland.AMD promised another chip for FM2 after Trinity. In reality - Richland is like a new stepping of Trinity. I hope that doesn't count as a new upgrade for Trinity, because if AMD abandons FM2...[/citation]

FM2(1) and AM3+, have served his purpose, now should go. The sooner they get unified the better.
AMD do not have the staff to develop so many concurrent chipsets. For that reason the 990 series is now lacking features. It would make sense if the FM2/AM3+ MoBos where differentiated but in the maket their prices overlap a lot.

The reatil channels do not like keeping inventories in 3 levels (entry,middle,enthusiast) for two different sockets, therefore order Mobos with caution.The stock do not move fast enuff nowdays.

Besides the whole era of sockets as We know it are coming to an end. Keeping MoBo signals synchronized 12 cm apart at the proyected speeds is increasing harder.Add the new ram type (DDR4 or even GDDR5) will demand a new design.

Some clever ideas are being propose to save the sockets, like MoBos with components in both sides or adding stuff in the CPU interposer.If Intel manages to put the ram in the CPU interposer at commercial prices, the next gen Apus better be fast; very fast.So it seems Kaviery Apus and Steamroller FX are the end of the line.

Good riddance

novaguy

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
[citation][nom]DEY123[/nom]Anyone know how theses APUs compares to the 4600M...is the 4600M between the A8-5550M and A105750M or weaker then the A8 5550M? I;m only asking in gaming terms as I might by a laptop for light gaming and the 4600M is available for well under $500 these days (I have a desktop for full gaming).[/citation]

I think the trinity A10-4600m is still better in terms of performance than the Richland A8's - it looks like all of the Richland A8's have a 256 shader count; the trinity A10's have 384 shaders. Even assuming Richlands shaders are higher clocked, they won't overcome the shader count. And the A8 Richland GPU is still being fed by ddr3-1600.

Now, the A10 richland is interesting. The cpu portion is an extra 200 mhz base and 300 mhz turbo above the trinity a10-4600m, and the gpu is clocked a little faster. But the ddr3-1866 potential may really give a nice boost to the gpu memory subsystem, which is a bottleneck in the AMD apus. But I don't know what ddr31866 so-dimms are going to be priced at as there doesn't seem to be much of a market at the moment; ddr3-1600 so-dimms just became affordable over the past 16 months or so.

G

Would've liked to see some ultra low power chips. Ultrathin gaming? Yes, please!

analytic1

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I was wondering , since both console will have a amd apu with some esram on chip , what do you think the effects would be if amd released a apu with on chip esram , because i am guess the ddr3 ram is slow for gpu functions , well most gpus have ddr5 ram , do you think lets say 10mb of esram would have a great impact within gaming for a amd apu ?

well i don't how long it will be before ddr4 or ddr5 ram is released , but i thought adding a little esram could solve the problem with apus not having access to faster ram , because bandwidth wise 10mb of esram is 500mb of ddr 5 ram and would make up for not having ddr5 ram on a apu, please correct me if i am wrong .

When do you think before you see consumer grade apu with embedded esram ?
If a apu came with esram on chip , do you think drr3 ram would then be the bottleneck ?

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

AMD and Intel have leaked reports of samples with components in the cpu interposer.The natural guess is that is esram.The problem is cost.Current manufacturing technique produce very little working samples from the production runs.
R&D for a fix may be and option for Intel deep pockets but for AMD is easier;cheaper; better unify the sockets.That way the end user can chose an APU with balanced cores/gpu or a pure cores one; working on the same motherboard,using the same power envelope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS