Question New disc - not detected

Dec 26, 2020
Hi,

I have just bought a WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 SSD for my computer. I have ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming motherboard. I'm pretty sure I've installed it correctly, but the disc wont be detected.
In my BIOS I find the product when I go to "Advanced\NVMe controller and Drive information\NVMe controller and Drive information", I guess that means it's succesfully installed? But how to detect it?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,

I have just bought a WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 SSD for my computer. I have ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming motherboard. I'm pretty sure I've installed it correctly, but the disc wont be detected.
In my BIOS I find the product when I go to "Advanced\NVMe controller and Drive information\NVMe controller and Drive information", I guess that means it's succesfully installed? But how to detect it?
Not detected, where?

Does it appear in Disk Management?

Dec 26, 2020

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, it looks so. I'm no pro at this, but when check for updates through AI Suite 3 and EZ Update there's no BIOS update suggested when I click "Check now"

But when I compare my "Current BIOS" i EZ update app to the latest version of BIOS for manually updating on https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z390-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_download I'm not up to date.
Discover the actual BIOS version (not the 'app', just in the BIOS), and compare that to what their latest is.

Dec 26, 2020
Discover the actual BIOS version (not the 'app', just in the BIOS), and compare that to what their latest is.
Now I've messed up. Updated to the latest BIOS version and after the BIOS update i got the following message "after setting up Intel octane memory or the Raid configuration was built, SATA Mode selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues". I did as told and now I get bluescreen when booting with following message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Do you what to do, please?

Dec 26, 2020
Your system had nothing to do with Optane or RAID.
Why do you go down that path?

In the BIOS, change it from RAID back to AHCI.
Because I'm a noob and it told me to do so. Sorry!

Now my BIOS is updated and the disk still doesnt appear in Disk Management.

Dec 26, 2020
So all working, except this WD SSD, correct?

It might be a faulty drive. It happens.
Contact WD about a warranty replacement.
Yeah, it's running like normal now.

So just before I contact them, this should be a "plug and play" product, is that correctly understood? I'm not supposed to do any changes and it should appear in Disk Management with a succesful installation? Which I presume is likely since I find the productnumber in my BIOS?

Dec 26, 2020
Update:

It wasnt a faulty drive, but my fault.

I had used the M.2_2 slot which is in conflict with my old SSD SATA drive. Switched to M.2_1 slot on ROG Strix Z390-F motherboard and it worked fine.