[SOLVED] new DisplayPort cables work fine for 1 min, then monitor gradually starts flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

piranha45

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I have a samsung s32d850t monitor that works fine on a 10ft displayport-displayport cable, connected to a EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti . A 25ft HDMI-HDMI cable also works fine.

I want to replace the 10ft Displayport cable with a 25ft cable.

I tried this cable and then this cable.

BOTH 25ft cables give a clear image for about 1 minute, and then the monitor flickers progressively worse; monitor is unusable after about 5 minutes.

What's the deal?

Last edited:
Reactions: SoumithCS
Solution
you verified that the 10ft DP does still work as it should?

many low quality cables have trouble keeping up higher bandwidth over longer distances.
i've had similar issues with lower quality HDMI.

is there an issue with your 25ft HDMI that makes you want to use DP instead?

a high quality 25ft DP should be rather expensive.
I would be wary of anything less than ~$60.
you verified that the 10ft DP does still work as it should?

many low quality cables have trouble keeping up higher bandwidth over longer distances.
i've had similar issues with lower quality HDMI.

is there an issue with your 25ft HDMI that makes you want to use DP instead?

a high quality 25ft DP should be rather expensive.
I would be wary of anything less than ~$60.

Solution

piranha45

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
My graphics card has 1 HDMI port and 1 DisplayPort. I use 2 monitors.

Yes I reconnected the 10'er multiple times as I tried to troubleshoot why the 25'ers wouldnt work. 10'er works fine every time. The 25' HDMI cable works fine too.

Couple hours earlier I put in an order for 25' HDMI-DisplayPort cable, but it was just $30. If it doesn't work, then I'll try a more expensive one. Thanks for that thought, I wouldn't have guessed.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
Jul 30, 2021
For me the problems surface after getting past the Windows login. I would casually browse my folders and Chrome for a minute or two and then POP. I hear a popping noise and the screen goes black. Then my monitor says no signal and goes to standby mode. The popping sound doesn't always happen so I find that pretty interesting.

advancedmd

Last edited:

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Personally I would suggest you to use a expensive cable to get best output or to buy a DP that is HBR3 with 8K at 30Hz or 60Hz support and must be 15-20 only since in passive cables signal get degraded for every 1.2-1.8 inch

SoumithCS

Reputable
Oct 6, 2020
Note: The post above by SoumithCS is copied from this reddit thread: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/989lm2/maximum_cable_length_for_displayport/

What you need to look for are VESA certified DisplayPort cables. See section 3.3 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/
Hi there Mr.Glenwing. Yes the post is copied from a reddit post for helping someone . You didn't had to say that "it was copied from a reddit post by XYZ". But instead tell that it was shared and was taken from reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS