new downloads

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hello.

I went to the dell.com download site, put my tag number in it and got a list
of updates.
Are they customized to my system (through the tag number) or are they just a
general list for my PC type?
I'm asking that because I noticed that one of the updates (BIOS) is an older
version than mine but I didn't check the others yet.

Thanks.

Steffo
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:41e40be0$1_2@news.bluewin.ch...
> Hello.
>
> I went to the dell.com download site, put my tag number in it and got a
> list of updates.
> Are they customized to my system (through the tag number) or are they just
> a general list for my PC type?
> I'm asking that because I noticed that one of the updates (BIOS) is an
> older version than mine but I didn't check the others yet.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steffo
>
>


Some will apply to your system (such as flashBIOS files) and some may not
(i.e.- if you use integrated video and the site displays drivers for an AGP
or PCI express video adapter).

As a general rule of thumb, there's no need to update the drivers or the
BIOS version unless you have a specific need or problem you're attempting to
address.

And by all means, the same can be said for Windows Update "device
software/driver updates".

If what you have is working satisfactorily, then stick with what you have.


Stew
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In article <OlVEd.417$MP1.3@bignews1.bellsouth.net>, stew1960
@cover.bellsouth.net says...
> And by all means, the same can be said for Windows Update "device
> software/driver updates".

Particularly since Dell does not support any drivers other than those
distributed by Dell. If Windows update tells you that it has a better
driver for you to download and install, it may indeed be true. But Dell
won't support it and if you have a problem, Dell will want you to revert
back to the driver that shipped with your system (or the latest
available driver on the Dell web site).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:41e40be0$1_2@news.bluewin.ch...
> Hello.
>
> I went to the dell.com download site, put my tag number in it and got a
list
> of updates.
> Are they customized to my system (through the tag number) or are they just
a
> general list for my PC type?
> I'm asking that because I noticed that one of the updates (BIOS) is an
older
> version than mine but I didn't check the others yet.

My understanding is that the downloads listed are for the type of machine
that yours is, not for your specific machine as such.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

John Fryatt wrote:
> "Steffo" <steffo@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:41e40be0$1_2@news.bluewin.ch...
>> Hello.
>>
>> I went to the dell.com download site, put my tag number in it and
>> got a list of updates.
>> Are they customized to my system (through the tag number) or are
>> they just a general list for my PC type?
>> I'm asking that because I noticed that one of the updates (BIOS) is
>> an older version than mine but I didn't check the others yet.
>
> My understanding is that the downloads listed are for the type of
> machine that yours is, not for your specific machine as such.

Hi John!
What you said is what it should be but sadly it is not: I've already found
2 updates older than what's in my PC.
I personally think Dell should make an effort and update their download
site, giving to the customers only the updates their tag numbers need.