[SOLVED] New drive, HDtune benchark question

je1983

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2016
Just curious at these benchmark results on my new WD Passport which I believe is the latest model. I'm used to seeing the sloping benchmark with the yellow dots along the line of the graph but this is quite different.

Also, when I transfer files to this drive, they start off really fast but then the green bar stalls a bit when it's nearing the end and it takes slightly longer than the estimated time to actually finish. For instance if I transfer a single 2gb file, it will show transfer speeds of upwards of 180 or 200Mbps, the green bar will start to race from 0 to near the end and the estimate will be something like 30 seconds but it will stall a bit towards the end and take slightly longer (maybe 15-25 seconds more). I'm sure it's fine, probably just need to format it first but I thought I'd ask.
p.png

p.png

Solution
That's kind of normal as you first fill the high speed ram cache buffer of the drive very quickly which leads Windows to believe the drive is a Porsche and not a Caravan...

And then there's the SMR technology that could also be affecting the performance.

popatim

Titan
That's kind of normal as you first fill the high speed ram cache buffer of the drive very quickly which leads Windows to believe the drive is a Porsche and not a Caravan...

And then there's the SMR technology that could also be affecting the performance.

Solution