New drive isn't showing anywhere after failed initialisation

Nov 29, 2018
Hey guys. So I just got a new hard drive, I plugged it in exactly the same as my other hard drive, went to disk management as a video I was following told me to do. I went to initialise the new drive as a prompt popped up and I was given the option between MBR and GPT. GPT was pre-selected but the video I was following had MBR pre-selected, so I clicked MBR and clicked ok and I got an error. Assuming that I could just go back and redo it, I closed the error without noting it. Now when I go on disk management the drive doesn't come up. Nor does it show in the file explorer or the command prompt when I attempted to convert it from GPT to MBR. I have tried restarting my PC, taking it out / plugging in again. Switching it with my other hard drive and nothing so far has got it to show up. It also doesn't show in the BIOS. When I plug it in with the power on, I can feel the disk spinning up, but once it has spun up it just stops. Ideas?

Solution
Plug the disk into a different PC.
If the disk doesn't work on another PC, it's a good sign that there's something bad going on with the disk. Its called DOA. Return for a replacement.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Suspected as much, just checking.

What HDD are you using? Capacity?

You really should've gone with GPT, unless you have a specific need for MBR, which is unlikely.

Given this occurred after formatting to MBR..... is is a >2TB HDD, by chance?

Nov 29, 2018

1TB seagate. To be honest I just saw the guy on the video select MBR so that's what I went for :D

Nov 29, 2018

Already did and still no luck. I was advised to return it yesterday as DOA by a friend who's fairly good with this stuff also, it has since been returned.