Question New Editing PC build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
I should have asked here before placing order for all the parts!

Here are the new parts I picked for my new Editing PC build.
Please tell me if there are better and faster parts I should get instead.
Thanks

Or should I just return all of those when they arrive and wait (how long) for AM5?
Because my Ryzen 9 5950x build can barely keep up. So this intel build is not much faster if at all.

What I usually do is video and audio editing on my Ryzen 9 5950x build.
And the number of tasks I have usually max out the CPU at 100%

Threadripper build? I know nothing of them, so don't know if I can do it under $2500 (that's my total budget)
Intel equivalent of Threadripper? Please suggest.

I am not a gamer so I don't need more powerful GPU. Maybe I should get RTX 3060 with 12GB vRam and money saved towards a faster CPU?

Parts: Total Price: $2374.98 (Total Budget: $2500)

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K Desktop Processor
GPU: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti Trinity OC 12GB GDDR6X
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel RGB DDR4 32GB
MOBO: GIGABYTE B660M AORUS PRO AX DDR4
PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular
SSD (OS): SK hynix Platinum P41 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD
SSD (Storage): Western Digital 2TB WD Green SN350 NVMe Internal SSD
HDD(backup Storage): Western Digital 4TB 3.5 Inch SATA III, 7200 RPM
Heatsink: Vetroo U6PRO Dual Tower CPU Cooler w/ 6pcs Heatpipes

Last edited:
I should have asked here before placing order for all the parts!

Here are the new parts I picked for my new Editing PC build.
Please tell me if there are better and faster parts I should get instead.
Thanks

Or should I just return all of those when they arrive and wait (how long) for AM5?
Because my Ryzen 9 5950x build can barely keep up. So this intel build is not much faster if at all.

What I usually do is video and audio editing on my Ryzen 9 5950x build.
And the number of tasks I have usually max out the CPU at 100%

Threadripper build? I know nothing of them, so don't know if I can do it under $2500 (that's my total budget)
Intel equivalent of Threadripper? Please suggest.

I am not a gamer so I don't need more powerful GPU. Maybe I should get RTX 3060 with 12GB vRam and money saved towards a faster CPU?

Parts: Total Price: $2374.98 (Total Budget: $2500)

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K Desktop Processor
GPU: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti Trinity OC 12GB GDDR6X
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel RGB DDR4 32GB
MOBO: GIGABYTE B660M AORUS PRO AX DDR4
PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular
SSD (OS): SK hynix Platinum P41 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD
SSD (Storage): Western Digital 2TB WD Green SN350 NVMe Internal SSD
HDD(backup Storage): Western Digital 4TB 3.5 Inch SATA III, 7200 RPM
Heatsink: Vetroo U6PRO Dual Tower CPU Cooler w/ 6pcs Heatpipes

If your 5950X is truly inadequate then a 12900K will be too. Threadripper sounds like what you need but that is implausible for $2500. Intel HEDT hasn't been updated for a while so that's a waste of money.

Can I ask what software your using?

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
How so?
With what software?
Nothing demanding on its own,.

Its just a Downloader with video editing function build in. This way I can download the video and have it automatically encoded to MP3.

The program allows me to have max 50 active download and encoding tasks running at the same time.

I usually have over 2000 files that needs to be downloaded and encoded at the same time and the resulting MP3 files are usually over 1 hour long each.

I like to lesson to audio books but they only come in video format. Its audio book with comic drawings showing what's going on.
I encode them to MP3 formats so I can lesson to them on the go, don't care about the comics.

So basically I max out the Ryzen 9 because I run 50 tasks at the same time.
I download and auto encode allot.

I tried the same task on a ryzen 5 5600g before and it can only run 5 tasks at a given moment and it takes forever.

I lesson to allot of books. not those books from amazon or audible

USAFRet

Titan
Nothing demanding on its own,.

Its just a Downloader with video editing function build in. This way I can download the video and have it automatically encoded to MP3.

The program allows me to have max 50 active download and encoding tasks running at the same time.

I usually have over 2000 files that needs to be downloaded and encoded at the same time and the resulting MP3 files are usually over 1 hour long each.

I like to lesson to audio books but they only come in video format. Its audio book with comic drawings showing what's going on.
I encode them to MP3 formats so I can lesson to them on the go, don't care about the comics.

So basically I max out the Ryzen 9 because I run 50 tasks at the same time.
Given that use case, NO consumer level CPU is viable.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
Maybe the program I use sucks because if I just run 5 or 10 tasks, it only utilizes like 10, 15% of the CPU usage. It does not automatically use all the CPU power that's available.

That is why I keep 50 simultaneous tasks because that just so happened to reach 100% CPU usage.

On my old ryzen 5 5600g HP pc, its usually a over night job to download a whole book and converting them to mp3

I like the Ryzen 9 because i can have it done in just few hours.

my son has the ryzen 9 system now that is why I am building a new one.

I don't download that often, usually when I am done with 1 book and moving on to another book in few month time. (Trust me, those books are long)

Just I can't stand how slow it can be without the ryzen 9 pc

Last edited:
Maybe the program I use sucks because if I just run 5 or 10 tasks, it only utilizes like 10, 15% of the CPU usage. It does not automatically use all the CPU power that's available.

That is why I keep 50 simultaneous tasks because that just so happened to reach 100% CPU usage.

On my old ryzen 5 5600g HP pc, its usually a over night job to download a whole book and converting them to mp3

I like the Ryzen 9 because i can have it done in just few hours.

my son has the ryzen 9 system now that is why I am building a new one.

I don't download that often, usually when I am done with 1 book and moving on to another book in few month time. (Trust me, those books are long)

Just I can't stand how slow it can be without the ryzen 9 pc
It sounds to me like your using software to convert ebooks to an audio book? If it's using 10/15% then the software isn't well threaded and very limited in the number of cores it can use. The 12900K would be a bit faster in lightly threaded scenarios but uses more power and runs hotter than the Ryzen 9.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
How often do you need to download and convert 50 books to mp3?
I don't download often because it usually takes couple month or more to finish lessoning to 1 book.

not 50 books. 50 files. each book I download usually have couple thousands of chapters with each chapter being from 20 minutes to an hour or more.
so every time I download a book, there are couple thousand mp3 files. I know that sounds like a long book, but yea, they are really long.

So every few month, except few times where I have couple books or more lined up, that is when I will download all of them for later.

the Ryzen 9 is very fast and does what I want it to, only reason why I am building another one is because I give my pc to my son for playing games.

I ask for parts advise and mentioned threadripper and AM5 platform is because I don't want to end up with a generation old hardware when the new ones are right round the corner.

The 5950X and 12900K are the fastest consumer desktop CPU's currently available, Intel 13th gen and AMD 6000 come out soon. I don't know what video editing you do to know whether a 3080 is beneficial over a 3060.

If your doing any heavy sustained writes on that 2TB SSD, then you'll want something better than a WD Green. A Crucial P3 would be better if you don't want to spend too much.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't download often because it usually takes couple month or more to finish lessoning to 1 book.

So every few month, except few times where I have couple books or more lined up, that is when I will download all of them for later.

the Ryzen 9 is very fast and does what I want it to, only reason why I am building another one is because I give my pc to my son for playing games.

I ask for parts advise and mentioned threadripper and AM5 platform is because I don't want to end up with a generation old hardware when the new ones are right round the corner.
And that is why I asked.

If it takes overnight with CPU X, and a couple of hours with CPU Y....but you only do this 4-5 times a year....so what?

As far as:
I don't want to end up with a generation old hardware when the new ones are right round the corner.
There is ALWAYS something new on the horizon.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
It sounds to me like your using software to convert ebooks to an audio book? If it's using 10/15% then the software isn't well threaded and very limited in the number of cores it can use. The 12900K would be a bit faster in lightly threaded scenarios but uses more power and runs hotter than the Ryzen 9.
your probably right about the program not well threaded, it sucks, that is why I keep 50 tasks running at the same time in order to max CPU performance.

It doesn't matter what percent utilization your CPU is at. What matters is how long it takes to complete the task which you've assigned it, and the fact is, NO MATTER WHAT anybody else says or what you think, that task is going to take a HELL OF A LOT LONGER with 50 other processes running on top of the background processes Windows already has running normally. When you want things to get done faster you STOP processes/tasks, you don't add more. I'm sorry but I think you are not understanding exactly how this all works and the fact is there is no other CPU out there that can do the job you want done, or any other job for that matter, faster than what you have now across the board. For threaded applications yours will be the fastest so long as this is a consumer application (Which it is) and not a bunch of server applications or processes that it's trying to serve up to a bunch of clients or workstations.

For single threaded only applications, sure, the 12th Gen Intel upper SKUs might be a little faster, but not by much and certainly not by enough to warrant spending the money on them. Especially for something you do a few times a year rather than continuously 24/7. I think what you NEED to do is find a different program that has had better development that does what you need it to do.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
It doesn't matter what percent utilization your CPU is at. What matters is how long it takes to complete the task which you've assigned it, and the fact is, NO MATTER WHAT anybody else says or what you think, that task is going to take a HELL OF A LOT LONGER with 50 other processes running on top of the background processes Windows already has running normally. When you want things to get done faster you STOP processes/tasks, you don't add more. I'm sorry but I think you are not understanding exactly how this all works and the fact is there is no other CPU out there that can do the job you want done, or any other job for that matter, faster than what you have now across the board. For threaded applications yours will be the fastest so long as this is a consumer application (Which it is) and not a bunch of server applications or processes that it's trying to serve up to a bunch of clients or workstations.

For single threaded only applications, sure, the 12th Gen Intel upper SKUs might be a little faster, but not by much and certainly not by enough to warrant spending the money on them. Especially for something you do a few times a year rather than continuously 24/7. I think what you NEED to do is find a different program that has had better development that does what you need it to do.

I know what your talking about but the thing is if I run 5 tasks it only use like 5% of cpu power and no new tasks will auto start until 1 of the 5 task is finished. the rest of 95% of processing power stay unused and still have to process the rest of my files that's in queue.

But when I run 50 tasks, all 50 run at the same time and it uses all 100% of the CPU crunching power resulting in more tasks being processed at the same time and thus faster time to complete.

to be honest time required to finish one task when I am only running 5 task total is not faster than it takes to finish processing 1 task when I am running all 50 tasks at once.

there must be an explanation for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.