Question New Editing PC build help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
I should have asked here before placing order for all the parts!

Here are the new parts I picked for my new Editing PC build.
Please tell me if there are better and faster parts I should get instead.
Thanks

Or should I just return all of those when they arrive and wait (how long) for AM5?
Because my Ryzen 9 5950x build can barely keep up. So this intel build is not much faster if at all.

What I usually do is video and audio editing on my Ryzen 9 5950x build.
And the number of tasks I have usually max out the CPU at 100%

Threadripper build? I know nothing of them, so don't know if I can do it under $2500 (that's my total budget)
Intel equivalent of Threadripper? Please suggest.

I am not a gamer so I don't need more powerful GPU. Maybe I should get RTX 3060 with 12GB vRam and money saved towards a faster CPU?

Parts: Total Price: $2374.98 (Total Budget: $2500)

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K Desktop Processor
GPU: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ti Trinity OC 12GB GDDR6X
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel RGB DDR4 32GB
MOBO: GIGABYTE B660M AORUS PRO AX DDR4
PSU: EVGA 210-GQ-0750-V1 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular
SSD (OS): SK hynix Platinum P41 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD
SSD (Storage): Western Digital 2TB WD Green SN350 NVMe Internal SSD
HDD(backup Storage): Western Digital 4TB 3.5 Inch SATA III, 7200 RPM
Heatsink: Vetroo U6PRO Dual Tower CPU Cooler w/ 6pcs Heatpipes

Last edited:
Again, being all technical lol
The problem isn't being too technical. The problem is, you seem to lack the basic level of technical knowledge required to actually understand how this all works even though several here have tried explaining it to you. The bottom line is that doing more things requires more resources and using more resources ALWAYS causes things to take longer to complete. There is simply no argument against that. It is a fact. If you can't understand that then you can't understand any of this and that's what we are trying to explain to you.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
There is, and that explanation is "you are wrong". Because it's simply not the way computers and processors work.
I don't know the technicality of pc and cpu but I know how to use a mouse and keyboard.

does that mean processing 5 tasks while only using 5% of CPU processing power is faster than processing 50 tasks at using 100% CPU power?
keep in mind there are allot files needs to be processed, not just 5 or 50.

When you built your current system did you do a clean install of Windows or did you just continue to use the Windows installation that you already had prior to building the new system? Because I suspect you might be using a previous Windows installation and if so that is probably a huge part of your problem.

USAFRet

Titan
does that mean processing 5 tasks while only using 5% of CPU processing power is faster than processing 50 tasks at using 100% CPU power?
keep in mind there are allot files needs to be processed, not just 5 or 50.
Maybe, yes.

We out here have no idea of what these tasks are, what software is involved, how these dozens of processes are all invoked, and how often you do this.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
Maybe, yes.
Darkbreeze: no, I do a fresh install of windows.

Now I will have to do a trial download and conversion when I get home tonight.

I am gonna download the same 1000 files and convert them to MP3. with 1 only running 5 tasks at the same time and 1 with 50 tasks at the same time.

I am doing this for me to get my answer since I don't really know how to record the process and result and posting it here.

I can only time the 2 and see which one finish faster.

Have you considered breaking the job into two tasks and using separate software for each task:

Task1: downloading the files in original form (MP4?)

Task 2: converting the downloads to mp3.

I don't know exactly where you are bogging down, but it may be that your current software is good at one of those tasks, but not so efficient at the other.

I do that all the time.....but on a much smaller scale, usually one at a time. Download mp4 and then convert that MP4 to MP3. Downloading is the most tedious and slow aspect of the job.

While I think completely saturating the CPU was perhaps overkill. If you cannot increase the speed at which a single task completes because it cannot scale to the available resources. It's perfectly reasonable to then run multiple tasks simultaneously and achieve greater efficiency that way.

If one book takes 3 hours, and 10 books takes just over 3 hours, you might as well do 10.

I know what your talking about but the thing is if I run 5 tasks it only use like 5% of cpu power and no new tasks will auto start until 1 of the 5 task is finished. the rest of 95% of processing power stay unused and still have to process the rest of my files that's in queue.

But when I run 50 tasks, all 50 run at the same time and it uses all 100% of the CPU crunching power resulting in more tasks being processed at the same time and thus faster time to complete.

to be honest time required to finish one task when I am only running 5 task total is not faster than it takes to finish processing 1 task when I am running all 50 tasks at once.

there must be an explanation for that.
If your encoding process is single threaded (can only run on a single core), you have 10 cores, then as long as there are no I/O bottlenecks it wouldn't be surprising that 1 task on it's own completes no faster than 1 of 10 parallel tasks.

I am a little surprised that there is no difference between 1 of 5 and 1 of 50. It would suggest that a single task doesn't even saturate the resources of a single core. However you have a 16 core/32 thread chip, your software clearly cannot break up a single task and spread it across multiple cores. Therefore the simple answer is to run parallel tasks to make better use of it. Whether 50 tasks is optimal is another thing, but clearly 5 is not.

USAFRet

Titan
While I think completely saturating the CPU was perhaps overkill. If you cannot increase the speed at which a single task completes because it cannot scale to the available resources. It's perfectly reasonable to then run multiple tasks simultaneously and achieve greater efficiency that way.

If one book takes 3 hours, and 10 books takes just over 3 hours, you might as well do 10.
Sure.

But running multiples just to force the CPU to 100% usage...not necessarily beneficial.

As we have no idea what is actually being done here, who can say...

Sure.

But running multiples just to force the CPU to 100% usage...not necessarily beneficial.

I would tend to agree, but clearly running a single task is not an optimal use of resources. I just tried exporting the audio track from a 45 minute video to mp3 in Adobe Premier Elements. That didn't use all cores but it did complete in seconds. There may be other audio encoding software out there that can scale better, but I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Why a single file takes so long to convert to an mp3 is also unclear but I don't know anything about the process being used.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
Exactly.
We out here have basically no idea what is actually going on, besides "Force the CPU to 100% is automagically faster!!"
Maybe the confusion is me running 50 tasks exactly puts the CPU at 100% usage.

what I mean is I have 50 tasks that are all doing the encoding, so 50 simultaneous encoding. not starting 50 tasks just to force the CPU at 100% to run 1 encoding task.

USAFRet

Titan
Maybe the confusion is me running 50 tasks exactly puts the CPU at 100% usage.

what I mean is I have 50 tasks that are all doing the encoding, so 50 simultaneous encoding. not starting 50 tasks just to force the CPU at 100% to run 1 encoding task.
No, the "confusion" comes from:
"Because my Ryzen 9 5950x build can barely keep up "

A top level consumer CPU 'can barely keep up'....would indicate a software issue, or user expectation issue.

Sure.

Besides which, just because there is more CPU usage with more tasks CERTAINLY doesn't mean that any more of those CPU cycles is being dedicated to THAT specific piece of software and it's tasks. It's likely because whatever else you've set it to doing DOES make good use of multithreaded processing. Whatever resources are dedicated to your conversion software should still be using the same amount of resources, or less, due to other tasks running. It may (likely) simply be that that software is just not well optimized OR that the process is not particularly CPU intensive but might be more GPU or storage device intensive.

What are your FULL hardware specs for the system that you are using now? All I see are the CPU and graphics card specs for the current system, nothing about storage devices, memory, power supply model (Exact model) etc.?

what I mean is I have 50 tasks that are all doing the encoding
How, EXACTLY, are you doing that? Are you encoding 50 different projects, or what? Because I don't know of any way to make any piece of consumer software just suddenly start running 49 additional processes on ONE project, to complete it faster. If that was possible, it's what everybody would do with EVERY piece of software that they run.

How, EXACTLY, are you doing that? Are you encoding 50 different projects, or what? Because I don't know of any way to make any piece of consumer software just suddenly start running 49 additional processes on ONE project, to complete it faster. If that was possible, it's what everybody would do with EVERY piece of software that they run.
I think he has some software that can automate the downloading of video files and convert them from MP4 to MP3. So some of his 50 tasks would be downloading files and others would be audio encoding tasks taking the MP4 and spitting out an MP3. If it is a mix of downloading and audio encoding tasks then that would explain why it took such a strange number like 50 to reach 100% of the CPU.

I think we'd need to know the exact software being used to provide further meaningful commentary.

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
Ryzen pc spec that I was using: I have all the order numbers from amazon if anyone wants to see a screen shot of them. I got the Ryzen 9 sealed in box from a local guy through offerup, so no order number.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: RTX 3070
MOBO: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi
RAM: T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB Kit 3600 MHz
SSD (OS): SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB
SSD (Storage, where my books are directly downloaded to and converted from): Kingston NV1 2TB M.2
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB
PSU: EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W

The program I use is called: YouTube Video Downloader Pro (Its a licensed program, not the free ones around the internet)

This program allows me to downloads the entire YouTube play list in their original video format and auto converts them to MP3 files when the download finishes.
I usually allow 50 tasks to run simultaneously, that includes the downloading's and the encoding tasks all together.

My internet speed it 500Mb/s so download does not take long. majority of the 50 tasks spends time doing the encoding.

Anybody follows the DC and marvel comics? They are like never ending right? New chapters are always coming out.
The book I lesson to is similar in a way that it goes on forever thus why some of them reaches over 2000 chapters with each chapter ranging from 20 to 30 minutes long.
some books have 10 chapters together so that like 3 hour long mp3 file while number of total files being less.

I usually download 1 book at a time and download more when I finish lessoning to them.
but sometimes I will download few books all together. Lots and lots of individual files.

I hope I have given you all the information your seeking.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
So basically:

You download One book at a time.
Said book may include hundreds/thousands of individual files.
These are then re-encoded into .mp3.
You do this once every couple of months. (4-5 times a year)

Is this correct?

How long might this take, typically?

treefrogannr

Prominent
Feb 18, 2022
Here is an example of the task I am doing right now. Downloads usually finish before the encoding are done.
below example, is a shorter book with 10 chapters in each file, with total of 60 files. each resulting MP3 file are around 3 and half hours long.
It took less than 15 minutes to finish with all 50 converting tasks running.

I don't do them often but when I do, it usually takes no more than an hour or 2 for long books.
I just don't like waiting, its more of a mental thing.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I don't do them often but when I do, it usually takes no more than an hour or 2 for long books.
I just don't like waiting, its more of a mental thing.
According to this, there is no real problem.

An hour, every other month.

With a system that is one of the top configurations on the planet.

Lastly, the YouTube downloading action is...suspect. Paid tool or not.

I think we're done here, closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.