New Egg ad for G4560 Pentium says " OS support: Windows 10 Only" .Will Windows 7 run O.K. ?

gr9h0fr

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I want to put my meager funds into hardware and don't want to scrimp in order to buy a new OS if I don't need it. Is this just Intel's way of telling me customer service will be denied, or is there something incompatible about older OSes?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Windows 7 will run just fine on 7th/8th gen cpus. Win7 was built primarily as a bridge between 32 and 64bit OS/apps, just as XP was a bridge between 16 and 32bit apps. Win10 is primarily a 64bit OS and runs better under 64bit instructions but can still use 32bit, if the 32bit is open ended. What win7 can't do is take full advantage of all the instructions that 7th/8th gen cpus have, which is a few more than what's available on the 3rd/4th gen cpus, win10 can.

Microsoft would be perfectly happy to see the end of win7/8/8.1 and have everyone adopt win10, so I'm pretty sure there's incentives to Intel/Amd to promote such. Support for older OS requires expenditures in manpower and resources for no obvious gains.

gr9h0fr

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

gr9h0fr

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Thank-you all for answers. Tried to reply last night,but not up to speed nav
igating forum. D'uh.
Popatim, Do ya recall which mobos /makers provide Win 7 drivers?

gr9h0fr

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018

Thank-you for your answer. I'm somewhat of a clutz on forum. Do ya recall which mobos and makers provide Win 7 drivers?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Every mobo I can think of has at least some 32bit drivers. There's components that simply do not require or use 64bit drivers, like CD/DVD, and because manufacturers need to fill every condition, win7-win10 usage, you'll still get basic functionality. Just as most budget type boards also have a vga port still, as there's many ppl who do not use or have a use for hdmi/display port.

About the only thing I can think of that's not supported at all by windows 10 is anything that requires DX9.0c, which was supported by Win7. But even that is an easy fix with a download from Microsoft.

Microsoft ended Active support for Windows 7 a little while ago, is now in extended support, until 2020?, which is basically just some security updates and bug fixes. Other than that, Microsoft is only offering full support for Windows 10.

gr9h0fr

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
hadn't given any thought to 64 bit. but now that u mention it, Of course I want as much RAM as I can afford. Until now all my mobos have been maxed out with memory and I haven't needed 64 bit addressing. So, the question I asked is moot. thank-you all for this discussion as it has jogged my memory about .memory needs. and like it or not I will need Windows 10.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you are using applications like certain rendering/editing/production apps that have a need for high amounts of ram, you'll have no need for more than 16Gb for games. Almost all games average @4Gb-12Gb total pc usage, so 8Gb would be recommended minimum, next dual channel size up is 16Gb. Maxing out potential ram would be a huge waste of cash, upwards of $1000 currently.

gr9h0fr

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I agree: 16GB is plenty for my needs. I'll get a board with extra RAM capacity to dodge obsolesence. and keep using 7 while saving up for 10.