Question New Ethernet card slow speed :(

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone :)

I've read so many threads on this but none really answer my problem. I'm with Virgin Media on there 200mb speed. My PC has always been downloading at the max speed and been great. Recently the Ethernet port on the motherboard has been a bit loose. move the cable slightly and boom connection gone and have to wiggle lead about.
So i got myself a 10/100/1000 PCI card. problem is its only running at 100mb. I've tried all the fixes connected to windows 10 capping the speed but none worked and since it was fast before the card change I wasn't hopeful anyway.
Any ideas if there is any options etc I need to tick?
Card is cheep but should get max speed 10/100/1000 RJ45 Gigabit Network PCI card intel RC82540em Chipset.

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all. Thanks for the answers. I purchased a cable tester and crimper etc, Cable tests just fine. I've just disabled the PCI and enabled the onboard again and it's maxing at around 212mbs. Only getting about 98mbs with new card.
Don't know if this could be a BIO's thing or one of the many confusing setting on the properties on the new card.
Could it be the generic drivers that Windows is installing?

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like its only set at 100mps
IPc4 Connectivity Internet
IPv6 Connectivity No Network access
Media State Enabled
Duration 00.04:44
Speed 100.0Mbps

Now, how the hell do I change this lol :(

lynx1021

Distinguished
Is the network card PCIE 1X? You said it was PCI, there is a difference, what slot did you plug it into and what drivers did you use? The drivers from the MF's web site are usually the best. I put a USB wifi on my laptop and got 50 Mps with windows drivers but got 100Mbs with the MF's drivers. Do you have a link to the card you bought and what are your specs?

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, Its plugged into the PCI slot, not PCI-E . No drivers came with the card so its loaded the standard win drivers. I have been searching for better drivers but finding some for Win 10 64bit is coming up blank.
Link for the cheap card :(
Card

Asus Z97-A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm back on the onboard port.

IPc4 Connectivity Internet
IPv6 Connectivity No Network access
Media State Enabled
Duration 00.09:41
Speed 1.0Gbps

I have no idea how to fix the speed on the PCI card. I've been at it hours trying to uninstall reinstall drivers...
Maybe get better up to date ethernet card will be the answer

Brian