[SOLVED] New EVGA1060 6gb Still Having Massive Frame Drops with GPU hitting 0%

Jan 16, 2019
Hey peeps,

So i have searched here and about everywhere else as to what might be causing this issue. I originally thought the issue was related to an outdated GPU but now that ive upgraded to a 1060 i am still having the same issues. The issues are as thus:

While playing any game, the frames will randomly drop, and then shoot back up again. Ill be playing fine at 120 frames, then suddenly as i load in a new area, or look at the wrong area, i suddenly get a frame drop which in the task manager looks like:

CPU: 30% MEMORY 50% DISK 2% NETWORK ~% GPU: 85% then drops to 0% then 30% then back to normal.

Is this a use of a HDD instead of an SSD, is it my CPU? Ram?

Specs:

evga 1060 6gb
amd 8350
16gb ddr3 ram
2 x 1tb hdd
asrock 970 extreme4

Please and thanks for the help, ive researched everywhere and cant get a straight answer.

Solution
Try undervolting your CPU, and if possible aiming a fan directly at your cpu socket. I suspect your vrms on your motherboard are overheating and throttling your cpu to avoid melting
Jan 16, 2019

Oh okay dope, i got some thermal paste, i think i might try and lube it up again and see if i can get any improvement.

Jan 16, 2019

Alright so i know this will make me sound like a complete noob. But how does one, go ahead to uhh, undervolte, their processor without blowing up their pc?

Jan 16, 2019

Would purchasing a newer mobo for this cpu fix the issue too?