Question New EXTERNAL SSD failing to backup using Macrium. Copies individual files ok. RETURN IT?

shawnc

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
New WD 5TB My Passport Portable SSD
Attempting to backup Win10 desktop with M.2 1TB Samsung SSD - fails Error Code 23

Formatted NTFS first quick, then slow/full format after failing twice. Have tried to backup 3x now.

It runs the full back up then after 30 minutes get:

"Backup Aborted! Unable to read from disk - Error Code 23 - Datea Error (cyclic redundancy check)."
see pic below. Drive shows 0 GB, nothing on it.

When I copied a folder of 100 images, it copies without issue to the external SSD dragging the folder over.

After failing, I have no problem using Macrium to backup to an older SSD doing the same operations, but it doesn't work on the new SSD.

Searched Macrium forum but didn't figure it out. Macrium appears to work fine on the old SSD, so my assumption is it's the new SSD that is the problem.

Should I just return this while I can? Any tests to run? Thanks!

kVTHxna.jpg

Last edited:
Instead of trying to do repeated back up that fail , can you save ANYTHING to it such as a simple word document or a piece of music just by doing right click on something and send to .......

If you cant then as mandark says send it back

Extra info ...

Error code 23 indicates a read error on the source disk.

shawnc

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
This is a fail of your Source drive, not the external target drive.

Your main drive has an issue.
Thanks, as said, Macrium has no problem backing up to my old external SSD, but will not backup to new SSD.
Settings and drives for backup are the same.
So that leads me to believe that something is different with the new SSD.
Either a software conflict, or hardware issue.
Am I missing something?