New Eye-Fi SD Card Connects To Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Great! Thanks to you, Apple, we have an ecosystem of products which should have been "actually" integrated in your devices. But its all right, i'll just get another 3rd party app for that

G

now make it with class 10 performance and we can start to talk.......

realtychris

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
OK I am a little resistant.. this peace of technology here in reference to wifi and such.. OK so if your phone is not on your phone companies 3g or 4g network.. OK here it is.. """" !!why are they charging you?!! """"

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]realtychris[/nom]OK I am a little resistant.. this peace of technology here in reference to wifi and such.. OK so if your phone is not on your phone companies 3g or 4g network.. OK here it is.. """" !!why are they charging you?!! """"[/citation]
Did you even read the article? It's about an SD memory card that has a wifi feature built into it. It has nothing to do with any company's 3g or 4g service at all. It's a memory card. You put it into a camera. It's what holds the pictures that you take when you use a camera. However, instead of having to take the memory card out of the camera and insert it into a memory card reader, it has the wifi feature so it can send the pictures straight to your PC or MAC without wires. There was already a reference to this by a previous poster

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]This card has been sold for some time for digicam users. It is a nice feature for all your images to auto transfer to your computer.[/citation]

The thing that makes this "new" is that they are making an app so it can transfer the pictures and stuff to an iOS device or Android device via their respective wifi features instead of having to tranfer to a PC or MAC computer first.

So to Answer your question, they are charging you for buying their product (which is the SD memory card with built in wifi) because that's how things work. You want something you buy it.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]SD Card and ipad? Where?[/citation]
RTFA before you comment.

The SD card goes into your digital camera, and connects to your phone or iJunk over wireless so you can easily get photos from the camera to the device.

This is a really great item, I'd love to have one for my Nikon D90 to upload stuff to flickr or wherever via my droid.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]RTFA before you comment.The SD card goes into your digital camera, and connects to your phone or iJunk over wireless so you can easily get photos from the camera to the device.This is a really great item, I'd love to have one for my Nikon D90 to upload stuff to flickr or wherever via my droid.[/citation]
Agreed, but a CF card instead for people who still have "real" SLR cameras.

G

the product is great for folks who spend alot of time uploading pix to online services but you have to bear in mind that the device re-compresses and optimizes the picture for transfer over wifi, which may result in loss of details and introduction of compression artifacts

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]ReCompress[/nom]the product is great for folks who spend alot of time uploading pix to online services but you have to bear in mind that the device re-compresses and optimizes the picture for transfer over wifi, which may result in loss of details and introduction of compression artifacts[/citation]
Eww. That's definitely a problem for someone using an SLR since they're most likely very concerned about quality.

gillat

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Guys, a few comments to answer all of you, so far:

* The Eye-Fi card DOES NOT compress anything. The bits are uploaded over the wire, UNTOUCHED. I'm not sure why you think that we compress or touch the media at all. We absolutely don't.

* It's up to you to enable 3G/4G uploads, if your data plan doesn't have any caps (mine doesn't, on Verizon). If you're concerned about charges or data caps, just tell the app to not upload over 3G/4G. Then, the Eye-Fi Card will upload to your mobile device, and when the mobile device is back on Wi-Fi -- it will relay the media to your destination, over Wi-Fi (your PC, or favorite sharing site)

* Class 6 vs. Class 10 -- which camera do you have that requires Class 10? There are none that REQUIRE it. Class 6 is sufficient for HD video on cameras today, and the Eye-Fi Card can sustain 12MBps, which is even faster than Class 6, but we're not as fast as Class 10 (more like Class 8), we called our specs honestly -- as Class 6 writes.

* Symbian did have a hotspot, and you could use our Pro X2 card with that hotspot, but the card will need to be on, to upload through the hotspot, and you could only do it with the Pro X2, because it's our only card that supports ad-hoc. The Symbian hotspot is ad-hoc and not Infrastructure based.

Eye-Fi Direct is a combination of features, apps and new firmware for ANY X2 Eye-Fi Card. The card spawns an Infrastructure network, and the iOS or Android device connects to the card, as a router. Then, the app that sits on the mobile device, receives the media (RAW, JPG's, movies). THEN, the card goes offline and goes to sleep, and the mobile device re-connects to 3G/4G/Wi-Fi and can relay the media to anywhere you set it to.

Helps?

G

@gillat

wow, neat that eye-fi folks come and read this forum. My bad, i remember eye-fi from way back when they did not have RAW support, just one question, is RAW support limited only to the Pro range card or does the mobile range have RAW support too

i think a class 10 card helps with burst shooting, but i think maybe only an extra 1 pix before slow down kicks in, there's also the recent uhs U1 speed too, but i yet to get to test one of things out

i usually buy Sandisk's extreme range of cards because they tend to have very good shooting speed, but to be honest i dont do much burst shooting any more so i might just look into an eye-fi card now that i know they can do RAW

consider me enlightened

Status
Not open for further replies.