Solution
It doesn't look like the 9800GT is on the card list for this cooler. When you say it is garbage, what do you mean? That it no longer works? Or it works fine it just runs hotter than you like and you are trying to overclock? What is the REAL issue? a replacement cooler really isn't all the cheap to be honest. If your stock cooler is broken and is under warranty have them replace it, or look on ebay.
It doesn't look like the 9800GT is on the card list for this cooler. When you say it is garbage, what do you mean? That it no longer works? Or it works fine it just runs hotter than you like and you are trying to overclock? What is the REAL issue? a replacement cooler really isn't all the cheap to be honest. If your stock cooler is broken and is under warranty have them replace it, or look on ebay.

Solution

neonmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
oh ya i didn't explain that. It is EXTREMELY loud, I think there is something loose in it but i cant find out what.
I was playing far cry 2 with my headset on and i could hear the awful rattling.

Plus it doesn't keep the card cool at all.

I saw that it isn't on the list of compatible cards but but my card excepts 55 mm heatsinks which is the same size as this fan so I am not sure...

neonmonkey

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I am not sure of the temps, I just know it was hot because i took it out of my case a while after playing far cry and i could barely hold it long enough to get it out of the board. (I was taking it out to use my integrated graphics)

Video cards just hot, many time hotter than a CPU. I've had 2 cards in crossfire before and actually burned my hand taking the top card out one time.

90C is 194F, think of it that way. It is not uncommon for a GPU to hit 90C and that heat gets transferred to the cooler and the rest of the card. If you take it out immediately it is going to be toasty hot.

If your card is not actually having issues, I wouldn't worry about it. When cards get to hot they usually start to display artifacts in games or crash the display drivers.