Question New fan installation

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi all

I need some help regarding installing new fans. I currently have the Corsair Carbide case with 3 Corsair LL120mm fans Aswell as a H115i Cooler.

I just bought new Corsair fans,the ml 120 and ml 140 magnetic levitation.

So I’m not sure how my fans are installed as it was put together for me.

I have a Msi B450 Tomahawk Motherboard

I know that I have the Corsair hub at the back for the led lights which I know how that works but I don’t no how fans are installed.

Once I remove the hub and all the fans,do i plug each fan individually to a motherboard fan header and daisy chain the two 140mm radiator fans together?

So 3 120mm fans going Into System Fan Header 1-3 and maybe the 2 140mm into System Fan 4? Or Can I use Headers 4 and 5.

Are fans basically plug and play? Will I have to configure anything? If I don’t daisy chain the Aio fans will the run at different speeds or are they suppose to run together?

In the Corsair Icue software I currently see the pump temperature and 3 Fans and the 3rd one has like double the speed of the others so I don’t know.

But I would like to install each fan individually. Will I still be able to use icue software to adjust the fans?

Help would be much appreciated

Thank You

Lutfij

Titan
Corsair hub
Corsair have a number of hubs to date, which one do you have to work with?

Corsair Carbide case
Also, Corsair have a number of Carbide cases out there, which one do you have?

Pictures tend to help us identify an anomaly if the end user doesn't know what to look for. You can host your images on Imgur or their ilk and then parse the link to said image(s) here.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Apologies it’s only the lighting node pro that’s all it is and the case is the Corsair Carbide 5 you won’t be able to see anything on the images as all the cables are tucked away with zip ties aswell

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's not clear how many fans for CASE VENTILATION ONLY you are installing. Further, are you replacing the fans already mounted on the RADIATOR or leaving those alone? For now, I'm going to assume from your post:
  1. The RAD FANS will NOT be changed, and the H115i system will continue to be used as installed. There MAY be changes to their connections, or maybe only checking to verify they are already OK.
  2. You ARE replacing all your case vent fans with ML120 Pro RGB PWM and ML140 Pro RGB PWM models- counts not clear, but maybe 3x 120 and 2 x 140.

Ift hose assumptions are wrong, please post corrections.

The H115i cooling system is simple, especially if you are not changing any of it. For your reference, here's how to download the installation instructions are for that system. Go to the web page for the H115i system.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ...iquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060027-WW#tab-overview

Scroll down a little and click on Downloads, then click on "H115i Quick Start Guide (2 MB)". You can simply view that in your browser OR open it with Adobe Acrobat in your own computer, and save it to your hard drive if you wish.

The design of this system is that it has ONE connection cable from the pump unit to the mobo CPU_FAN header specifically. A second cable runs from a socket on the pump side to a mobo USB2 header. This is how the iCUE software utility communicates with the pump and the rest of your H115i system. iCUE takes over from the mobo all control of CPU cooling, using rad fan speed to control CPU internal temperature. For this purpose both rad fans plug into a 2-headed cable from the PUMP unit so they are powered and controlled from there. These two fans have NO direct connection to the mobo. This system does NOT make any use of your mobo's PUMP "fan" header.

All of the ML120 PRO RGB (and 140's, too) fans have TWO cables from them. ONE of these is a standard female fan connector with 4 holes, and two ridges running down one side aligned with holes 1 and 3. These plug into mobo SYS_FAN headers so they are used for the MOTORS only of CASE VENTILATION fans. Your mobo has FOUR of these (not five), so you need a way to connect an extra. Get a simple SPLITTER like this

file:///C:/Users/Ken/AppData/Local/Temp/H115i_QSG-1.pdf

That's a two-pack of Splitters with three output arms each, and you need only one. Because sellers mislabel such devices often, NOTE this important difference between a SPLITTER and a HUB. A SPLITTER has ONE input "arm" to connect to a mobo fan header, and two or more output "arms" where you plug in fans, and that's all. A HUB has those PLUS a third type of "arm" that must plug into a power output from the PSU. You do NOT need one of those here. I'm not sure where which fans are to be located, but use the Splitter to make a group of two or three fans that all are located in similar places and perform similar jobs. Connect that Splitter to one of your SYS_FAN headers. The connect the rest of your case vent fans to other SYS_FAN headers.

The second cable from each of those fans is for the LIGHTS only in their frames, and their connector also has 4 holes but also a locking tab. These have to be plugged into the lighting control system. What you have with those fans is a 2-box system: The Lighting Node Pro controller box with only two output ports, and an RGB Hub with six outputs and one input. The RGB Hub should be in a place where the lighting cables from all those fans can reach. Make SURE to plug those cables into ports 1 through 5 of the Hub, assuming you have five such fans. The Lighting Node Pro can be mounted anywhere convenient and it has three connections to make. On is a wide connector that plugs into a SATA power output connector from the PSU for power. Another cable plugs into a mini-USB port of the Node Pro and goes to another mobo USB2 header so the iCUE software can communicate with this box. (Unfortunately, this consumes BOTH of your mobo's USB2 headers, but you still have its USB3 Gen1 header to use.) Lastly you connect a cable from ONE of the Node Pro's two output ports to the RGB Hub so the Node Pro can power and control the lights in all of your fans.

You will continue to use the iCUE software. It handles both fan motors and fan lights. Its screens allow you to observe their actions and make your own settings. One place controls the PUMP unit and may give you some choices about pump speed. Many AIO system run their pump at full speed all the time, but iCUE may allow you to choose a slower speed for light workloads. Actual CONTROL of the CPU cooling is done automatically by altering the speed of the RAD FANS only.
iCUE also takes control of CASE cooling, using the mobo SYS_FAN headers to alter the speeds of the fans you plugged in there. For the LIGHTS in the ML120 case fans, iCUE uses the Node Pro and its RGB Hub to power and control all those.