Question New fan issues (Be Quiet Light Wings 140mm high speed)

Jan 9, 2022
Hey guys,

I have gone around in circles for 6 hours trying to get these new fans to work, and I'm hoping you can save me from this torture :sweatsmile:

In a nutshell, I replaced my 3x case fans with new Be Quiet Light Wings 140mm high speed fans (triple pack). I connected them up and the RGB lights up, but the fans do not spin at all.

The RGB is connected to the supplied RGB hub that comes with the fans, powered by a sata connection. This is all fine. For power the fans are connected to the 4-pin fan headers on the mobo (CHA1_FAN / CHA2_FAN / CHA3_FAN). Still no spinning. These fan headers work perfectly fine. If I plug my old fans back in they spin ok. I have tried them singularly on each header, and combined using a splitter.

I would have guessed it was a faulty fan, were it not for all 3 new fans to not spin up. I have voltage tested the fan cables, and the mobo headers and all supplying 12v. I have also tried Q-Fan control in the BIOS but they are not detected at all. In AI Suite 3 (Fan Xpert) software is sees the fans but displays 0 RPM.

Is there something obvious I have overlooked? To me, this just doesn't make any sense.

PC Spec is:

Mobo: Asus X570 Prime Pro
BIOS: v4021
Case: Phanteks P500a DRGB
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
Fans: New - 3x Be Quiet 140mm high speed / Old fans that work: Phanteks SK PWM 140mm

Reactions: Enrique Sanchez

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You're right - make no sense! I can suggest some things to try.

1. MAYBE your mobo headers are trying to tell those fans to run too slowly so that they are stalled. This would be done by the PWM signal sent to the fans, and you would NOT see that by measuring the voltage supplied on Pin #2.For each of those fans, go into BIOS Setup for the respective CHA_FAN header. See your manual, p. 3-7 and 3-8. NOTE the default minimum speed setting on the graph for the lowest temperatures.
  2. Change the Profile choice at the bottom to TURBO for each fan, use Esc back to Main Menu, and F10 to go though the Exit Menu (p. 3-19) and choose Save Changes and Exit. Your machine will reboot. WATCH those fans immediately. The NORMAL operation is that, at boot time, a fan will start up at full speed, but a few seconds later it will slow down to what is required by the automatic system. So IF those fans DO start up, they are working. Now, with those headers set to Turbo, they all should NOT slow down at all. If that is what happens, then the fans themselves are OK, and you simply need to adjust their control strategy.
  3. IF those fans work on the Turbo setting, go back into BIOS Setup and change the Profile setting at bottom to Manual. Now use the graph above to change the "fan curve" by dragging the points for the lowest temperatures and speeds to higher minimum speeds. MAYBE try a different min speed for each fan, and come back later to reset them all the same. Again, Esc and F10 to Save and Reboot. Check now whether all fans DO start at max speed then slow down and KEEP running. If they do, you have your solution - you MAY need to re-adjust the min speed to keep them running at the coolest temps, but not too fast.

IF the fans do nothing at all in Part 2 above (forced full speed for all headers), then you have to suspect that all those fans are faulty. Odd if that happens, but maybe?

Jan 9, 2022
You're right - make no sense! I can suggest some things to try.

1. MAYBE your mobo headers are trying to tell those fans to run too slowly so that they are stalled. This would be done by the PWM signal sent to the fans, and you would NOT see that by measuring the voltage supplied on Pin #2.For each of those fans, go into BIOS Setup for the respective CHA_FAN header. See your manual, p. 3-7 and 3-8. NOTE the default minimum speed setting on the graph for the lowest temperatures.
  2. Change the Profile choice at the bottom to TURBO for each fan, use Esc back to Main Menu, and F10 to go though the Exit Menu (p. 3-19) and choose Save Changes and Exit. Your machine will reboot. WATCH those fans immediately. The NORMAL operation is that, at boot time, a fan will start up at full speed, but a few seconds later it will slow down to what is required by the automatic system. So IF those fans DO start up, they are working. Now, with those headers set to Turbo, they all should NOT slow down at all. If that is what happens, then the fans themselves are OK, and you simply need to adjust their control strategy.
  3. IF those fans work on the Turbo setting, go back into BIOS Setup and change the Profile setting at bottom to Manual. Now use the graph above to change the "fan curve" by dragging the points for the lowest temperatures and speeds to higher minimum speeds. MAYBE try a different min speed for each fan, and come back later to reset them all the same. Again, Esc and F10 to Save and Reboot. Check now whether all fans DO start at max speed then slow down and KEEP running. If they do, you have your solution - you MAY need to re-adjust the min speed to keep them running at the coolest temps, but not too fast.
IF the fans do nothing at all in Part 2 above (forced full speed for all headers), then you have to suspect that all those fans are faulty. Odd if that happens, but maybe?

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried changing the fan profiles to run on Turbo and Full Speed (and raise any minimum spin cycles etc) to ensure it has the maximum request from the system, but again, no signs of movement. I have a sata powered fan controller arriving today just to see if that helps jump start any power issues but I doubt it will. The only thing I can think of is the Amazon delivery guy didn't have a van and decided to kick the box all 60 miles from the depot. What are the chances of Be Quiet shipping 3x DOA fans together in a single batch? :mouais:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'd have thought the chances VERY small, but I suppose there could have been a string of defects on the assembly line. If you're a bit "handy", there's another test you MIGHT try on each fan. A common automobile battery is a good source of 12 VDC, the voltage required to make one of these fans run full speed. You would need a couple of wires with small thin tips. On the fan's connector there are four holes, with two ridges running down one side aligned with holes 1 and 3. Hole 4 is outside the space of the ridges. Hole 1 is the Ground (-) line, Hole 2 is the +12 VDC line. On the car battery the wider post is +, the smaller post connect to the car chassis is -. Try to connect two wires from battery large (+) to hole #2, and small post to hole #1. That's all you need. The fan should start and run fast immediately, so ensure you fingers are out of the way. Just another way (independent of your computer) to test whether the fans are faulty.

ivananonymous

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Really late reply here. I bought the 120mm as well and 2 /3 of them are not spinning but the rgb works. Tried my old fans and they are working fine. Mobo can't even detect the rpm of the one working fan.

Any solutions?