Question New fiber install bandwidth issue, not getting 1Gbps

bhsguyjesse

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
Hello, I just had a new fiber install and whoever put in the work order at my isp initially put it in as 100Mbps. The installers checked and made sure I was getting 100 Mbps and they left. I promptly called the isp and told them I wanted the 1Gbps plan. I gave it a couple days and I'm still only getting ~100Mbps via speedtest.net, fast.com, and google speed check.

I called my ISP tech support and they called the isp noc and they have confirmed that the speed change order was completed. Tech support suggested it was probably a bad cable somewhere on my end. They're going to send someone out sometime later next week but I'm trying to cover my bases and make sure there's not a problem on my side.

WHAT I'VE TRIED

I have verified that I'm getting a 1Gbps local connection via "ethernet status" in windows directly to my router.

I've went ahead and tried bypassing my router and connecting directly to the ONT outside and still have the same problem.

I've tried multiple laptops and multiple known good cat 6 cables at the ONT and every one of them show a 1Gbps connection in "ethernet status" in windows but speed test is the same each time. The speed test always starts by briefly flying up to 250Mbps for about a half a second and then quickly drops to and stays right around 100Mbps for the remainder of the test.

I believe I've covered all the bases and it pretty much has to be on their end.... right?? Anything else I can try in the mean time?

If it was a bad cable stuck at 100mbps or a port stuck at 100mbps you would never exceed 100mbps. In most cases you would only see about 94-95mbps on things like speedtest.

If it goes to 250mbps then it is likely outside your equipment.

I guess you could try to copy files between 2 machines in your house. You are not likely to get gigabit speeds because of all the overhead in file copies but it should be a lot more than 100mbps. Be careful a lot things like resource managers show file copies in BYTES/sec rather than bits.

Not sure if your router has it but many of the newer vendor routers used on fiber systems have speedtest built into the router itself. That would eliminate your PC as the problem.

bhsguyjesse

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
If it was a bad cable stuck at 100mbps or a port stuck at 100mbps you would never exceed 100mbps. In most cases you would only see about 94-95mbps on things like speedtest.

If it goes to 250mbps then it is likely outside your equipment.

I guess you could try to copy files between 2 machines in your house. You are not likely to get gigabit speeds because of all the overhead in file copies but it should be a lot more than 100mbps. Be careful a lot things like resource managers show file copies in BYTES/sec rather than bits.

Not sure if your router has it but many of the newer vendor routers used on fiber systems have speedtest built into the router itself. That would eliminate your PC as the problem.

Yeah I'm about 95% certain that it's on the noc side of my isp. Before my isp even came out to my house I went through and made sure every wired device on my network was running at 1Gbps.

Besides, connecting directly to the ont makes my local network hardware irrelevant anyway.

It would be strange they would have to come to your house. Most times the limits are in the main office equipment. If they were to limit it in the equipment in your house you would think someone would find a way to take it apart and hack it to bypass the limit.

What I do know on most fiber systems...and many cable systems... the data is actually sent at the maximum rate over the media since the actual fiber strand is shared by many houses and they can buy different contracted rates. This means there is some device placing a artificial limit on the data before it enters the fiber.

bhsguyjesse

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2014
Since posting this I did some research on my particular ONT and based on the status lights I'm getting, everything is working as it should so yeah I think I'm just gonna let it go for now. I'm still faster at 100Mbps than I was with my old fixed wireless broadband. Let them send someone out and that person will likely call the noc and tell them it's on their end which we pretty much already know.

Thanks!