New Firefox 4 Beta Has Direct2D GPU Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
if this new api does integrate seamlessly with the linux kernel or the nv and ati drivers, then we can finally let that horrible flash go to hell! that is, if they can get their act together and chose a viable open video and sound codec.

G

Can we use this advance in description many problems
of physic, math...and education

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
The HTML5 audio really reminds me a lot about Winamp AVS, I wish is more or less the same coding with those, hehe so I can make some cool visual out of it

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]stifle[/nom]Looks like this is the end of the desktop, Dang.[/citation]

buddy, desktops are here and will be here for many more centuries...just so you know. there is a very big demand for them since businesses use them all over the world

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Humans think[/nom]Why NOT OpenGL, now they have to implement it almost from scratch for Mac and linux vesions...[/citation]
I think one of the issues with Windows is that you a can't have both DX9 and OpenGL active with the same program and would have to turn off the AERO interface when using OpenGL. At least all my CAD programs do so for that reason.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
[citation][nom]Humans think[/nom]Why NOT OpenGL, now they have to implement it almost from scratch for Mac and linux vesions...[/citation]
I'm not sure if the OpenGL API has 2D rendering acceleration.
I think OpenGL is for 3D rendering only like Direct3D.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Didn't work well for me. Adblock+ said it was running, but I had ads everywhere. Browser ended up crashing after about 5 minutes. Guess that's why they call it a beta.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]Didn't work well for me. Adblock+ said it was running, but I had ads everywhere. Browser ended up crashing after about 5 minutes. Guess that's why they call it a beta.[/citation]
Really? I haven't had a crash yet in 4.0b5, and my Adblock+ is working normally. (getting rid of the flash ads on Tom's... :))

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
While the previous release supported Direct2D features in a secret setting, this latest beta release, available for download here, has it enabled by default.
It wasn't a "secret setting"; I've have D2D acceleration on since 4.0b2. The only thing 4.0b5 does with D2D acceleration is fix some bugs and turn it on by default.

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I'm loving the Minefield Beta6-pre version. Tab Candy/Panorama is great too! It crashes every once in a while but hey, it's not the final product.

geossj5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]why not? if i have the gpu power then why not[/citation]

no.. the question is WHY
WHY would some1 need physics acceleration on a browser

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I heard rummors that Microsoft was funding DirectX on Firefox.

An attack on Apply.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]willgart[/nom]I'm not sure if the OpenGL API has 2D rendering acceleration.I think OpenGL is for 3D rendering only like Direct3D.[/citation]
It most certainly does as some 2D graphics software uses OpenGL. In that case it's noticeable as it turns the Vista / Win7 interface back to Basic mode to turn off DX9 which is needed for AERO.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]doped[/nom]if this new api does integrate seamlessly with the linux kernel or the nv and ati drivers, then we can finally let that horrible flash go to hell! that is, if they can get their act together and chose a viable open video and sound codec.[/citation]

Unlikely. Can you name any alternate to vector motion graphics in a container, which is what .SWF originally started out as? Forget about using video for a moment, pretend Sorenson and h.264 do not exist.

This will likely serve as a platform to accelerate it further.

OpenGL is not 3D only: it does 2D too, ever since OpenGL 1.0 as defined by Silicon Graphics years ago. However, some special memory management features only available in some DirectX 9 and all DirectX10+ graphics card are needed to perform some operations with proper performance - thus, why it took ages for Microsoft to create Direct2D (that has nothing to do with the outdated DirectDraw), and the need for at least OpenGL2.0 hardware.

And proper drivers.

Why no OpenGL support in Firefox for Windows? Answer: not all Windows have OpenGL drivers available...

Moreover, it's not exactly Firefox that added support for Direct2D: to be more specific, Mozilla worked heavily on the Cairo rendering library to add a Direct2D back-end. They are, also, working on adding OpenGL support to Cairo (added in the brand new Cairo 1.10), so maybe for a future revision of Firefox 4, we'll get OpenGL acceleration too...

Note that Cairo is also used by Webkit, so hardware acceleration may also appear soonish in Google Chrome and Apple Safari...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS