Question New/First build is making a strange sound I cannot identify.

Nov 29, 2019
There are a few faint sounds I can chalk up to some kind of coil or fan installation issue, almost like a wind blowing but with the faintest scratch. But this one sound comes only when gaming and I'm losing hair trying to understand what it is.

It comes every 10 seconds or so. The sound occurs for about 5 seconds. It's a buzz/grind and so far as I can tell it is coming from the PSU or the region of the PSU.

In-game, when it comes, I can actually pause the game and the sound will disappear, and bare with me, if I wait the full five seconds, the sound will be gone, but if I only pause it for 1 or 2 seconds, the sound will still be there, finishing, basically.

In "Period Grinding 2" you can really hear the sound and the interval in perfect clarity.
It's loud enough to hear well with the PC about 2 feet away.

View: https://soundcloud.com/brendan-mitchell-762042050/sets/computer-sounds

As this is my first build, and first PC in a decade, I'm not entirely sure what to make of noise in general, or what noises should be anticipated. Though I've done my research enough to know this is not normal GPU whine, and that in general, my PC is louder than it should be.
I've never had a crash and I've never seen the GPU go over 70 degrees.
The RPM on my fans is usually between 600 and 1200.

I have a sneaking suspicion it's some sort of battery issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Setup:
AMD Ryzen 3900x
Black Rock Pro 4
Aurus x570 Pro Wifi
NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super windforce oc 3x
Seasonic Plus Gold 750 W 80+

Corsair MP510 SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
G. Skill Ripjaw 16gb x2
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Case
2x Pure Wings 2 140mm PWM

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
How old is your PSU? I have a similar issue although i do not know if the cause is the PSU in my case. I did read that it can be a sign of your PSU having trouble running.

I sadly don't know much about computers but generally a good idea is to do process of elimination to make sure its the PSU. Like run the pc without things that have fans in them like the case fans or GPU and if the sound still happens then you know for sure its the PSU. If removing one of these parts fixes it you know the cause too.

Last edited:

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
I just with a lot of pain replaced my fans and yeah first thing i'd do if i were you is to check if the fans are running smoothly aka no stuttering, If the bearings that connect them to the case are not loose and if there are any loose cables touching anything they should not be in the case.