zulu

Is there no other way to create a *New Folder* than the laborious Right
Click > New > Folder route?
For instance, can I make a keyboard shortcut?

kelly

Hi,

See line 138: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Is there no other way to create a *New Folder* than the laborious Right
> Click > New > Folder route?
> For instance, can I make a keyboard shortcut?

zulu

Hi Kelly
I went for the *desktop* option, but I can't see what it has done! :eek:)
Also, I got the message *Explorer needs to close*
Help.......!

zulu wrote:
> Is there no other way to create a *New Folder* than the laborious
> Right Click > New > Folder route?
> For instance, can I make a keyboard shortcut?

Zulu

In Windows Explorer, hold down the ALT key and press F, W, F in sequence.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

zulu

Thanks, but that gives me a new *Family Tree Maker* file!

I need a _simple_ way to just drop one wherever I happen to be at the time,
usually the desktop.

It would help a lot if I could clear some (most) of the clutter from the
right click list. How do I do that?

zulu wrote:
> Thanks, but that gives me a new *Family Tree Maker* file!
>
> I need a _simple_ way to just drop one wherever I happen to be at the
> time, usually the desktop.
>
> It would help a lot if I could clear some (most) of the clutter from
> the right click list. How do I do that?

Zulu

The shortcut will only work if you are in a standard folder/drive in Windows
Explorer. The results of any keyboard shortcut depends on which location you
are currently focused on when you type the shortcut.

The list of options that you see in the context menu when you right click
will also depend on where the focus is when you perform the right click. For
instance, if you are on the Desktop and you right the Taskbar, a blank spot
on the desktop or a shortcut, you will get a different context menu each
time. It's the same with keyboard shortcuts.

Most of the items you see on a right click context menu are placed there by
programs when they are installed. These can be edited or removed. Here is
some information originally posted by MVP Kelly that will be helpful in
understanding and customizing these menus.
------------------------------
Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html

Add, Modify, Disable, Delete Context Menu Listings (Line 23)

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

zulu

> zulu wrote:
>> Thanks, but that gives me a new *Family Tree Maker* file!
>>
>> I need a _simple_ way to just drop one wherever I happen to be at the
>> time, usually the desktop.
>>
>> It would help a lot if I could clear some (most) of the clutter from
>> the right click list. How do I do that?
>
> Zulu
>
> The shortcut will only work if you are in a standard folder/drive in
> Windows Explorer.

I _was_ in Wibdows Explorer...

The results of any keyboard shortcut depends on which location you
> are currently focused on when you type the shortcut.
>
> The list of options that you see in the context menu when you right click
> will also depend on where the focus is when you perform the right click.
> For instance, if you are on the Desktop and you right the Taskbar, a blank
> spot on the desktop or a shortcut, you will get a different context menu
> each time. It's the same with keyboard shortcuts.

Yes, I do understand that

> Most of the items you see on a right click context menu are placed there
> by programs when they are installed. These can be edited or removed. Here
> is some information originally posted by MVP Kelly that will be helpful in
> understanding and customizing these menus.
> ------------------------------
> Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Sorry, but I daren't fiddle wuth the Registry.
(I have VERY poor eyesight...)

> Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
> http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html

Is a broken link (apparently).

> Add, Modify, Disable, Delete Context Menu Listings (Line 23)

Is not there anynore :-(

I did however find line 139(right):
Add or modify the *New* menu listings
Which doesn't seem to work
(Perhaps I'm missing something here...)

zulu wrote:

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote:
>

>>Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
>>http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html
>

> Is a broken link (apparently).

Works fine for me...

You might want to take a look at this one:

ShellExView - view and disable shell extensions
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/shellexview.html

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: