Question New Forbes article on 1903 update

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Well, I trust Gordon Kelly and Forbes about as far as I can fly under my own arm power with regard to technology. His track record is, to put it mildly, spotty.

No one has ever said that no one, anywhere, has not had problems with any given Windows Update, and particularly feature updates, but there is zero doubt that, taken as a whole, the 1903 rollout has been much, much smoother than either of the two that came immediately before it.

If even a million (and I believe that to be a gross overestimate that I'm giving for effect) users were encountering those errors, that's a drop in the bucket of the embedded user base.

I'll offer my own counterpoint regarding virtually all computer problems, regardless of who's having them: Most Computer Issues Are Idiosyncratic - Not Global. As you can see by the topic referenced on the Malwarebytes forum, as well as prior contributions by subject matter experts on that topic, I'm far from alone in that assessment.

Lots of folks are, truly, completely clueless about the "care and feeding" of a computer over time, and do all sorts of silly stuff [and we see questions on this very forum about doing things like blocking updates - which is the silliest of all things to do], and are shocked when, eventually, an update finally exposes a vulnerability that has existed in that system for some time. If I do enough "delicate digging" when I'm called out to service a machine that has developed issues or collapsed, almost invariably I find that something that should have been being done consistently was not (or vice versa).

Reactions: gn842a

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
All one needs to look at is the difference in writing style/tone in those two articles.

Lawrence Abrams (who I happen to know, and well) is factual and dispassionate. He doesn't get in to throwing around pure speculative opinion such as, "The update has been a mess, so pushing it to users does little to inspire confidence on the back of other deceptions. Microsoft is also in a race to patch new wormable vulnerabilities and Visual Basic issues which hit every version of Windows 10.

Right now, Microsoft needs to inspire trust. It has a long way to go."

Nor does he pull in ancient history from other KB updates that are utterly unrelated to the issue he's reporting on.

Like I said, I don't rely on Forbes for technology reporting (and not just on Windows). This single article, when compared against other reporting on the same issue, is a clear indicator as to why I don't.

You can call me a Microsoft fan boy if you wish, but that would not be accurate (and check out my body of posts on Bleeping Computer to see that, as when Microsoft did the clearly bone-headed I yelled as loud as anyone else does. I just refuse to blame Microsoft for every problem, because many that occur are not of their making).

Mr. Kelly has a very long track record as anything between a constant naysayer and a Microsoft hater, or something very close to it. He also conflates the Version 1903 Feature Update and a KB update (several, actually) that have occurred under 1903 but are not a part of the Feature Update, but regular patches or cumulative updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
All one needs to look at is the difference in writing style/tone in those two articles.

Lawrence Abrams (who I happen to know, and well) is factual and dispassionate. He doesn't get in to throwing around pure speculative opinion such as, "The update has been a mess, so pushing it to users does little to inspire confidence on the back of other deceptions. Microsoft is also in a race to patch new wormable vulnerabilities and Visual Basic issues which hit every version of Windows 10.

Right now, Microsoft needs to inspire trust. It has a long way to go."

Nor does he pull in ancient history from other KB updates that are utterly unrelated to the issue he's reporting on.

Like I said, I don't rely on Forbes for technology reporting (and not just on Windows). This single article, when compared against other reporting on the same issue, is a clear indicator as to why I don't.

You can call me a Microsoft fan boy if you wish, but that would not be accurate (and check out my body of posts on Bleeping Computer to see that, as when Microsoft did the clearly bone-headed I yelled as loud as anyone else does. I just refuse to blame Microsoft for every problem, because many that occur are not of their making).

I don't think I'm going to join Bleeping computer any time soon this forum is taking enough of my time! If this OS stays steady like my 8.1 did I will be very happy with it. But the install process was excruciating. Thanks for your comments,

Greg N

USAFRet

Titan
Every single OS release or update, ever...has had issues. Real or perceived. And people bitching about it.
Windows, iOS, Linux, phone, laptop, PC, server....

systemd, WinXP, WinME, all that smart crap that lives in your TV.

Some of it justified. But today, a lot of that 'bitching' is a way to generate clicks, and justify space consumed in the cube farm.