Discussion New Forum Is Slow. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Curious to know what's up with the new forum being super slow at loading.

I'm thinking it might just be that your hosting service just isn't equipped to handle the heavier load of the new forum software, but would like to know if there's a more specific/alternate reason or not.

There is currently a massive amount of data moving to the new software, while all the info transfers over and things sort out, the forum will be somewhat slow.
The migration started this morning and is still on going, I believe PMs are currently migrating.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
There is currently a massive amount of data moving to the new software, while all the info transfers over and things sort out, the forum will be somewhat slow.
The migration started this morning and is still on going, I believe PMs are currently migrating.

Since I've got you here, with the new software will there be any plans to set up a mobile app next to streamline the site on mobile along with push notifications for followed threads?

I have not heard anything on that topic but that is an interesting idea.
There are several stages to this new forum rollout, including several stages that are going to be a "surprise" for us (we dont even know yet).
Expect new content in the future, but Ill let you know if a mobile app is a part of that.

I know the mobile site is vastly improved over the old software.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah, the mobile site is much better, can actually do reply with quote since now there's an option for it. Along with notifications (alerts) badge. But still need to open a new page or refresh to see it change, but better for sure.

But a mobile app would be nice for push notifications since the whole send me an email when something new is posted feature never worked right on old site and I'm not sure if it even is an option or works properly with the new site.

And push notifications would go nicely with the new social media aspect of the new site as well.

Email should work properly now, in your account settings you can have it default to email or no email, and there should be a "watch" button, when clicking that you get the option of alert or alert+email.

If its not working, be sure to let us know.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Question, if I were to make a youtube video explaining how to use the new site for those that would have a hard time understanding the how to thread, is there a way to make a sticky for it that would make it immediately visible to anyone right on the home page of the forum and grab their attention to help guide them?

Or do you think I should not bother making a video tutorial for you guys?

So we can assume it will get better sometime in the future? Because if not, that would be terrible step back compared to previous forums.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Any way to switch back to the old format? I really dislike this new one.

give it some time. any massive change like this will take time to get used to. i'm already seeing forum speed back to usable and getting used to where things are. lots more features available and easier to get to them.

remember having to load a new page to make a post that was anything more than basic?? now everything is done from the same page. need to edit your post? no more relaoding a new page to do it. it just changes from right where it is and updates. this is a ton better than what we had. give it some time and you'll learn to like it as well

Reactions: Gam3r01

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Anyone else having an issue (using chrome on mobile) if I reload the new posts or posts I've commented in it won't actually refresh I have to go back into menus and click it again. Not sure if bug or working as intended just thought I'd ask

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there guys - please be sure to address any feedback or issues you have with the new forum in the thread dedicated to just this very thing.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Hey there guys - please be sure to address any feedback or issues you have with the new forum in the thread dedicated to just this very thing.

Feel free to lock this thread. No need for people to keep posting in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.