[SOLVED] New Gaming/All-Purpose Desktop PC Build - Please Review My Choices and Offer Opinions

Feb 3, 2021
I am trying to keep this build high quality, but not insane on price. Here is what I currently have planned. I have already purchased the case, fans, and RGB & Fan hubs. I appreciate any feedback or evaluation of my planned choices.

Tower/CaseDIYPC Vanguard-V6-RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (x3 120mm case fans)
CPUAMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU FanCooler Master MASTERAIR MA620M 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler
MotherboardASRock X570 PG Velocita ATX AM4 Motherboard
GPUGigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB GAMING OC
Power SupplyCorsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
StorageSamsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
PeripheralsLogitech MK570 Wireless Wave Keyboard and Mouse Combo
Optical DrivePioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
MonitorViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD 27.0" IPS 2560x1440 144 Hz
FansCooler Master SickleFlow 67 CFM 140 mm Fan (x2)
OSWindows 10 Home (64-bit)

Solution
I would go for 3700X/one of the new 3000 series/6000 cards.
You dont need a 3900x if you are onlt gaming.Even a 3700X is overkill for that,but 8c 16t should be enough for 5 years.
A few points here:
  • Also agree with dropping the Ryzen 3900X for something like the 3700X. Or heck, if you're not doing anything too CPU intensive like editing videos, even the 3600X will be fine here.
  • Would recommend a B550 board over an X570. There's not a lot of features the X570 has over the B550 to justify the increased cost. I have an ASRock B550 Steel Legend and it has plenty of features to keep me going
  • You can also drop the PSU to the 650W model if you want to save money somewhere.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Feb 3, 2021
I would go for 3700X/one of the new 3000 series/6000 cards.
You dont need a 3900x if you are onlt gaming.Even a 3700X is overkill for that,but 8c 16t should be enough for 5 years.

I am trying to build a beast that can game, stream video, be super fast at everyday use, and be upgradable to the max. I may be going a little overboard, but all I have read points to the 3900x being far superior to the 3700x, but please elaborate if you have more info. I'm not a CPU expert.

Feb 3, 2021
A few points here:
  • Also agree with dropping the Ryzen 3900X for something like the 3700X. Or heck, if you're not doing anything too CPU intensive like editing videos, even the 3600X will be fine here.
  • Would recommend a B550 board over an X570. There's not a lot of features the X570 has over the B550 to justify the increased cost. I have an ASRock B550 Steel Legend and it has plenty of features to keep me going
  • You can also drop the PSU to the 650W model if you want to save money somewhere.

I'll look into the B550, but I do like having the most future-facing hardware I can as well without spending $400-$500 on a board. I've liked the setups I've seen with X570, and I don't want to say money is NO object, but I like the extras too lol.

As for the PSU wattage, what type of increase can I expect with overclocking?

I am trying to build a beast that can game, stream video, be super fast at everyday use, and be upgradable to the max. I may be going a little overboard, but all I have read points to the 3900x being far superior to the 3700x, but please elaborate if you have more info. I'm not a CPU expert.
If you're dead set on an AMD card, then that might be a case for getting the 3900X, because AMD's GPUs don't have dedicated hardware video encoding. NVIDIA's does, which for streaming quality is perfectly fine. But for gaming only, most games don't even scale past 6 threads, so a 12C/24T CPU doesn't make sense here. Especially for everyday use unless you're some kind of octopus who can have a dozen things active at once.

I'll look into the B550, but I do like having the most future-facing hardware I can as well without spending $400-$500 on a board. I've liked the setups I've seen with X570, and I don't want to say money is NO object, but I like the extras too lol.

I'm of the opinion you should get what you will really use. Those extras may be nice, but if you don't end up actually using them, that's a good chunk of change throw out the window.

As far as overclocking goes, you can't really overclock an AMD CPU because the default settings basically run the thing to maximum turbo anyway. AMD GPUs you might be able to push, but generally speaking it only adds like 10-15% over the default at worst, so not a whole lot. The entire system is likely only going to pull 250-300W anyway.

Reactions: Dj0gany

g-unit1111

Titan

The main reason you'd go with X570 over B550 is 4th gen PCI-E support, and for using multiple M2 drives. If you want to use a 4th gen M2 drive such as a Sabrent Rocket, Corsair MP600, or Gigabyte Aorus, you want the extra bandwidth because that will transfer to higher data transfer speeds and lower load times.

As far as overclocking goes, you can't really overclock an AMD CPU because the default settings basically run the thing to maximum turbo anyway. AMD GPUs you might be able to push, but generally speaking it only adds like 10-15% over the default at worst, so not a whole lot. The entire system is likely only going to pull 250-300W anyway.

This is incorrect. AMD encourages overclocking and the 3rd and 5th gen Ryzens are very easily overclockable. I have my 3900X running at 4.4GHz with all cores unlocked with very little effort, and enabling XMP/DOCP was very easy as well. Default settings won't do anything to overclock or adjust the speeds no matter which CPU you run.

Feb 3, 2021
If you're dead set on an AMD card, then that might be a case for getting the 3900X, because AMD's GPUs don't have dedicated hardware video encoding. NVIDIA's does, which for streaming quality is perfectly fine. But for gaming only, most games don't even scale past 6 threads, so a 12C/24T CPU doesn't make sense here. Especially for everyday use unless you're some kind of octopus who can have a dozen things active at once.

I'm of the opinion you should get what you will really use. Those extras may be nice, but if you don't end up actually using them, that's a good chunk of change throw out the window.

Thanks for the insight. I still want to have a little bit of head room, but it sounds like I could easily jump down to a 550W-600W and have not a care in the world for both current and future use.

This is incorrect. AMD encourages overclocking and the 3rd and 5th gen Ryzens are very easily overclockable. I have my 3900X running at 4.4GHz with all cores unlocked with very little effort, and enabling XMP/DOCP was very easy as well. Default settings won't do anything to overclock or adjust the speeds no matter which CPU you run.
And this is where I run into the trouble of what "overclocking" means to the community. For a while it's been turbo-boost overclocking, but this is because of Intel dominating the market and all anyone did was bump the multiplier up.

If we call it base-clock overclocking, then sure, AMD's CPUs are overclockable in that regard. But if we call it turbo boost overclocking, then no, you can't really push AMD's processors past what they go to by default.

Though to be honest with you, I don't find base-clock overclocking to be useful anyway because it requires locking the CPU's frequency. And while the CPU can still current gate cores or something to decrease power consumption, it's still not going to be as good as just letting the CPU do its own thing.

Feb 3, 2021
The main reason you'd go with X570 over B550 is 4th gen PCI-E support, and for using multiple M2 drives. If you want to use a 4th gen M2 drive such as a Sabrent Rocket, Corsair MP600, or Gigabyte Aorus, you want the extra bandwidth because that will transfer to higher data transfer speeds and lower load times.

The M.2 upgrade down the road is one of the key selling points to me on that X570 board. I love the heat sinks on the M.2 slots as well!

The M.2 upgrade down the road is one of the key selling points to me on that X570 board. I love the heat sinks on the M.2 slots as well!
B550 boards also support PCIe 4.0 on at least one PCIe x16 slot and on one of the M.2 slots if you use a Zen 2 or Zen 3 CPU.

However I would argue that there's no real point in going to PCIe 4.0 yet. It's still hard for me to justify going from SATA SSDs to NVMe ones since loading times don't really decreased all that much. Maybe in the future if DirectStorage proves itself to be a compelling performance boost.

g-unit1111

Titan

I have the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra and it is a very excellent board, really easy to use and work with compared to other boards I have owned.

B550 boards also support PCIe 4.0 on at least one PCIe x16 slot and on one of the M.2 slots if you use a Zen 2 or Zen 3 CPU.

However I would argue that there's no real point in going to PCIe 4.0 yet. It's still hard for me to justify going from SATA SSDs to NVMe ones since loading times don't really decreased all that much. Maybe in the future if DirectStorage proves itself to be a compelling performance boost.

The X570 boards also have more GPU lanes so if you're using a 3080 or 3090 you will also benefit using PCI-E 4.0 from it.

As far as storage goes, yeah you could make that argument. If you're using high end applications that require a lot of data to be moved, like video editing or CAD / rendering applications, you would definitely notice the extra speed. But for everyday tasks you would notice some benefit, but it's not really required. I have a PCI 4.0 drive as my boot drive on my rig and I have noticed how dramatic the speed increases are, but for every day tasks, you most likely won't notice a difference in 2000 MB/s vs 3500 MB/s. Think of it like buying a $50 pair of headphones vs buying a $250 pair. Only the people who are looking for the details will really notice, and the extra money that they spent will have been worth it.

g-unit1111

Titan
Yeah but doesn't X570 have like 24 or 32 lanes? I'm not knocking B550 because they're pretty solid boards, but my argument is that it's one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of deals.
The chipset provides provides 16 4.0 lanes, but these typically aren't wired up to the GPU slots. Not that it matters because it'll be bottlenecked by a 4 lane interface to the CPU.

In any case, all of the PCIe lanes meant for graphics come from the CPU, which all Ryzen processors have 16. Unless you get an APU, in which you only get 8.

g-unit1111

Titan
The chipset provides provides 16 4.0 lanes, but these typically aren't wired up to the GPU slots. Not that it matters because it'll be bottlenecked by a 4 lane interface to the CPU.

In any case, all of the PCIe lanes meant for graphics come from the CPU, which all Ryzen processors have 16. Unless you get an APU, in which you only get 8.

I would think if you're in the market for a high end board then you wouldn't be purchasing an APU.