New gaming and working build

Xavier Bauer

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
hi there

I'm looking for a new system to work with and for gaming. (work is development(with several server software))

At the moment I do not plan to overclocking the CPU, most likely the GPU will be OC a little more, I have no plans to add a second GPU right now. maybe later.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA 1150 Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
SSD: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Already in possession)
HDD: got at the moment 2x 300GB and a 2nd SSD (128 GB)
GPU: Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD REV2.0
WiFi: searching one maybe on Mobo
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black)
PSU: Corsair AX760i (want this cool feature 'Link' or something similar)
Case Fan: Corsair AF140 (5x -> 2 for the CPU Cooler)

Complete list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1mEvJ

I'm not sure about the RAMs/Mobo and Graphic Card. Is there better or different parts that work better with this? maybe there is even a better Case(maybe Nanoxia)?

here the Questions:
Approximate Purchase Date: 1 to 4 weeks
Budget Range: 1500$ -2100$ (w/o SSD) (I'm from swiss and some parts will be imported from germany coze cheaper :-D)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Working / Gaming
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: digitec.ch / stegpc.ch (from swiss)
Parts Preferences: Gigabyte / asus / corsair / OCZ
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI: No - later
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
Are you buying a monitor: No not now will get a 30" later
Additional Comments: i don't really need a window, I'm try to make a quiet pc.
software will be SQL Server / CRM Server VS 2010/2012 IIS etc. what u need for developing.
And Most Importantly, Why I'm Upgrading: its time for a new one and actually im using this: http://www.sysprofile.de/id154167

Thanks for your help

Solution

Oh Please! Don't be ridiculous, this motherboard is not at all even capable of moderate overclocking, so please change the motherboard.

And there is no point in going for the 770 SLI. It just sucks power like hell and there is no advantage at all when gaming in 720p over the Nvidia 780. Also with SLI at the first place he would have to deal with Micro Stuttering, Skipped Frames and other such problems. So he should go for the 780 right now and add another 780 if he ever feels like doing so.

And are you recommending a 500GB HDD for a 1800 dollar buid? Are you??

Also, there is no SSD..

The power supply is good but not the best one. The best ones are still made by Seasonic and XFX, so go for them instead.

All in all, your build is not a well balanced build. Just wait like 10 minutes, I am going to soon suggest a better build plan for him.

This is what I would recommend :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($123.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($145.46 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1559.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 12:27 EDT-0400)

Add the SSD, CPU Cooler and fans of your choice, otherwise this is a very good build.

Seriously, I do not know what makes you think that I am dying for getting selected as the best answer. Really I don't care if he selects it as the best answer or not. But the build you suggested is not worth the price in my opinion which is why I pointed out what things I did not like.

It does not matter to me if he selects my answer or not, but I have the full right to express my opinions on what I think is good and what I think is bad.

So, don't just say things like these and just try to help the OP.

Anyways you look like you are doing this for just the "Best Answer", arent you? I was like that quite some time before but now I am not. I am just trying to help and that is what I will do.

Don't hurt yourself big boy, be nice and stay cool.

He did mentioned that he does Server Development and the i7 would be better.

Why are you messing up with me? The 780 is a better option since you do not need the power of 770 SLI with 1080p screen. Also, this GPU would do just fine (read as Awesome) for the next 3-4 years.

Also for all the personal questions. I really do not care and what the hell do you mean by the Pro Pic? And what do you mean by saying things like True Picture?

You should probably stick to the topic and not go on personal. If you do it one more time. I would rather report it to the Moderators. I am here to help the OP, not to start a forum fight with guys like you. So yeah.. Just stay off of me. I really now am in the mood right now to deal with guys like you so I would probably Ignore you.

I am seriously done talking to you. I do not feed the trolls. Good luck trying to troll me, I would stay as cool as ice.

Zynch

Honorable
May 26, 2013

In that case you should have said: In my opinion [insert Text]
(If they aren't actual facts)

Solution

Xavier Bauer

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
thanks for your help guys.
i didn't think that i would get this different builds to my build :-D

first i didn't want to start a fight here! so please stop it.

@AxlFone you can wait every time for new technology, but as soon as you buy something it get old.

what i forgot to tell is i will use a bitfenix recon to control my case fans, maybe this changes something.
what i also didn't write well is i have a 512 GB SSD so i don't need an other and i will using my old HDD for data.

@SLI I'm not sure coze i head a lot, you could get trouble if you are not sure what you do.
then i understand avilash98 about the SLI he tries to tell that 2 Way SLI 770 has a better price/performance ration then 780. and yes i think we all now that 2x 780 is always better then 2x 770. so i think i will stick with an 780 coze i don't have SLI experience, and even if i dont get a 2nd 780 it will work for the next 2-3 years.

@Ram is there a benefit using 1866MHz Rams over 1600 one? (note i will not OC ram just CPU and maybe GPU)

@PSU does de XFX also have something similar then Link at Corsair?

greets

The reason for not recommending the SLI was :

1. It can cause issues such as micro stuttering, skipped frames and some other problems.
2. It consumes a lot of power.
3. It is not recommended for Inexperienced guys
4. Going for Single Card leaves extra space for the future.

This was why I did not recommended the 770 SLI over the Single 780. I hope this clears why I suggested him the Single 780. (I am aware that two 770's are more powerful)

1. What issues it cause? You have self tested that SLI do that? What are the other problems?
2. What is lots of power?
3. What exprience you need to get SLI?
4. Single card is better if it can provide good FSB to monitor or monitors you use. If one card can NOT then SLI is the only way to provide that.

Read this and then think twice what you do. (for OP)
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_770_sli_review,24.html

1. Micro Stuttering, Skipped Frames, Low Minimum FPS are all possible with SLI wheras with Single Cards these issues are not possible
2. Lot's of power is like using like extra 150-200 Watts (which is a lot)
3. I mean you have to set a lot of things up and it can cause some issues
4. I have never heard anyone having problems with Monitors using single cards, so that is not a problem.