[SOLVED] New Gaming Build $1200 Max

vmelliott0

Honorable
Jun 8, 2014
Looking for ideas on a new gaming Build with a $1,200 budget.

Expectations of Build: Fast Streaming (Twitch Streamer), strong CPU/Processing (big Modded Minecraft gamer), Able to play high graphic games on higher quality settings, must not sound like it is hyperventilating (good cooling/fan)

Things not needed: Monitors, Mouse, Keyboard

Any and all responses are appreciated.

Thank you

Solution
Here's a possible config.

Actually, uh, an Intel CPU is well-suited to Minecraft. Official support for multithreading didn't come until about a year ago, and support in mods is case-by-case. So it's prudent to go for the highest single-core speed possible, even at the expense of thread count. AMD CPUs are about as efficient as Intel now, and with more threads. But they don't clock quite so aggressively. Obviously, it's nice to have more threads for streaming, Ryzen is an eminently strong alternative. 6C/6T in the i5 should be sufficient for Minecraft and AAA games. That CM AIO is relatively humble, but will keep the i5 cool at stock clocks and leave headroom for overclocking to at least 5GHz. You'll want a comfortable amount...
Looking for ideas on a new gaming Build with a $1,200 budget.

Expectations of Build: Fast Streaming (Twitch Streamer), strong CPU/Processing (big Modded Minecraft gamer), Able to play high graphic games on higher quality settings, must not sound like it is hyperventilating (good cooling/fan)

Things not needed: Monitors, Mouse, Keyboard

Any and all responses are appreciated.

Thank you
If you want a good streaming computer for $1200 ditch the intel idea

The prime mediocre

Distinguished

Actually, uh, an Intel CPU is well-suited to Minecraft. Official support for multithreading didn't come until about a year ago, and support in mods is case-by-case. So it's prudent to go for the highest single-core speed possible, even at the expense of thread count. AMD CPUs are about as efficient as Intel now, and with more threads. But they don't clock quite so aggressively. Obviously, it's nice to have more threads for streaming, Ryzen is an eminently strong alternative. 6C/6T in the i5 should be sufficient for Minecraft and AAA games. That CM AIO is relatively humble, but will keep the i5 cool at stock clocks and leave headroom for overclocking to at least 5GHz. You'll want a comfortable amount of memory. Nvidia's OpenGL drivers are (generally) a lot better than AMD's, so I added a GeForce RTX 2060 instead of an AMD Radeon 5700 (which is a little faster in most DX11/12 games). This is all assuming you're talking about the Java version of Minecraft. The Fractal Define C should keep noise well under control.

I left $100 in the budget for a large hard drive, a faster GPU (an RTX 2060 Super would be the natural step up), or a different AMD platform and CPU with more cores and threads.

Edit: uh, I initially left the power supply off that linked build... I've amended it with a nice 80+ Gold unit, a smaller (but faster) SSD, and a 2TB HDD.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Actually, uh, an Intel CPU is well-suited to Minecraft. Official support for multithreading didn't come until about a year ago, and support in mods is case-by-case. So it's prudent to go for the highest single-core speed possible, even at the expense of thread count. AMD CPUs are about as efficient as Intel now, and with more threads. But they don't clock quite so aggressively. Obviously, it's nice to have more threads for streaming, Ryzen is an eminently strong alternative. 6C/6T in the i5 should be sufficient for Minecraft and AAA games. That CM AIO is relatively humble, but will keep the i5 cool at stock clocks and leave headroom for overclocking to at least 5GHz. You'll want a comfortable amount of memory. Nvidia's OpenGL drivers are (generally) a lot better than AMD's, so I added a GeForce RTX 2060 instead of an AMD Radeon 5700 (which is a little faster in most DX11/12 games). This is all assuming you're talking about the Java version of Minecraft. The Fractal Define C should keep noise well under control.

I left $100 in the budget for a large hard drive, a faster GPU (an RTX 2060 Super would be the natural step up), or a different AMD platform and CPU with more cores and threads.

Edit: uh, I initially left the power supply off that linked build... I've amended it with a nice 80+ Gold unit, a smaller (but faster) SSD, and a 2TB HDD.

Hope this helps!
He didn’t say he ONLY played Minecraft. I didn’t say anything about Minecraft, I said streaming. Read carefully next time please because a 9600k is not a strong streaming CPU. I actually would recommend it to zero people because buying a CPU without multithreading in 2020 makes zero sense.

Add to that the z370/z390 platform has ZERO future upgradability while the X570 will support AT LEAST a whole new generation of CPUs, as well as pcie 4 and WiFi 6.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($394.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1229.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-07 23:22 EST-0500

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My 2 cents:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($102.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($66.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba P300 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.18 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1180.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-08 13:08 EST-0500

Last edited:
My stab at a streaming build. Had to ditch an aftermarket cooler to meet budget though:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($473.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($67.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($75.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1194.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-08 06:15 EST-0500