[SOLVED] New gaming build, budget flexible, use €2000 as orientation

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
I've just moved into a second home and because there is 1,000km between my two homes now, I feel I need a whole new build, as hauling my rig around seems unreasonable. Also, my other PC is 10 years old at this point and even though it has been updated to cope with what I use it for, a 10-year-old main board poses certain limitations.

My budget is flexible, I think staying below €2,000 would be reasonable, but if I could get a significant boost in performance for a couple hundred more, I'd probably do that.

My primary uses for the PC will be gaming and internet surfing. I have a bad habit of opening thousands (literally!) of tabs when surfing and the game that I will probably be playing for the foreseeable future (and certainly the most demanding in terms of gaming performance) is Total War: Warhammer 2. So ideally my new build could run that game on maximum settings (ultra unit scale, first and foremost) and handle an unreasonable amount of open tabs.

Approximate Purchase Date: soon, i.e. I will buy parts as soon as I have all the info I need

Budget Range: flexible, ideally below €2,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, watching movies, gaming (Total War: Warhammer 2)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade:Completely new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (and I despise Windows 10 so either Win7 compatibility or help in tweaking Win10 to effective become Win7 would be greatly appreciated)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't care. Last time I built a PC, I bought parts from various websites

Parts Preferences: I don't care.

Overclocking: Probably not. I'd rather just buy better parts than reduce life expectancy of my build. If it can be done without harming parts, sure, but you'd have to tell me how.

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what that is.

Your Monitor Resolution: I don't know what's common here. My current PC has 1920x1080, I think that's enough?

Additional Comments: A quiet PC would be much preferred.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not really upgrading, but my current PC slows down significantly during large battles in TW: Warhammer 2.

Please let me know if you need any more info from me!

Solution
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mrshp8

I have added the 280mm version on the Arctic CPU cooler. Looks like PCpartspicker doesn't include all possible merchants, so I have, for example, just found the monitor for €439 elsewhere. Looks like it might be a little cheaper in the end!

I'm just a bit insecure about the more expensive bits, at the moment. Maybe you could give me a little more guidance there, if I'm not being too demanding of your time!

So basically, I'm wondering regarding CPU, Motherboard, GPU (and maybe the monitor), how much difference in price and performance the next cheaper and the next dearer options would make respectively.

Also, a much more general question: With which of these parts does the brand...
So... I played another round. It peaked at 85°C. This is clearly a big problem. There are two fans in front drawing air in, one fan in the back blowing it out. So it shouldn't be possible for the warm air to get back in, but I guess there just isn't enough room for the hot air to escape. Maybe putting an ordinary desk fan behind my desk could improve things. I'm really caught for space here. It sucks, because since the case is half empty, I could have probably used one half the size and that would have fitted in the compartment. Not blaming you, it's my own fault for not mentioning where I was going to place it... :/
The reason why air can get back in is that when new hot air is expelled from the case it pushes the old hot air forward, since it sounds like that is the only direction that air can es. This can then be sucked in by the intake fans and your typically cool intake air is already hot. I personally will not have my computer case located in an enclosed area. While that setup looks clean, it adds issues for the temps. Besides the temps, how is the performance of the new build? Is it pretty quiet even at those higher temps?

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Actually went up to 92°C just there... here: I've taken some photos to give you an idea of what the desk / room looks like. With the door to the left and the window/radiator to the right, I really don't know where else to put the PC...
NiwRIS2.jpg

fOFFPQz.jpg

b35GEo9.jpg

Moving all the fans to the front isn't an option, is it?

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Yeah, I did apply the paste, pretty much exactly like they showed in the tutorial video that was included via QR code. There were like 4 or 5 flattened copper tubes that made connection with the CPU and those I overed and then a little more past just to be on the safe side.

I'll download that tool, but with the crappy wifi from the cafe across the street it might take a while :D

No, the two fans (one from the config on page 2, one included with the case) in front blow in, the one in the back (included) blows out. But I guess it would make sense to reverse that? The one in back to blow in and the two in front to blow out? Should I move the better one to the back then? Or are they all the same?

If you are Pushing the Air in from front with this config then it will give you bad results as the amount of Air entering in Will be much greater than the Air being Pushed out. And if the Radiator is involved the Air being Pumped in becomes Hot and being Trapped in will increase the Temperature of the PC.
If PC was to be placed in that cramp area you would have been better off purchasing Air Cooler.

Yeah, I did apply the paste, pretty much exactly like they showed in the tutorial video that was included via QR code. There were like 4 or 5 flattened copper tubes that made connection with the CPU and those I overed and then a little more past just to be on the safe side.

I'll download that tool, but with the crappy wifi from the cafe across the street it might take a while :D

No, the two fans (one from the config on page 2, one included with the case) in front blow in, the one in the back (included) blows out. But I guess it would make sense to reverse that? The one in back to blow in and the two in front to blow out? Should I move the better one to the back then? Or are they all the same?
Doesn't make big difference if you swap the fans from front to back. But I recommend Turning the Fans so that Air is Pulled in from the back and Pushed out from the Front.

If you are Pushing the Air in from front with this config then it will give you bad results as the amount of Air entering in Will be much greater than the Air being Pushed out
That would be a positive air pressure setup for the case. Remember cases aren't perfectly sealed so the extra air will escape through all openings. That helps prevent hot expelled air from being recycled as well as cutting down dust buildup.

But we all agree I should reverse air flow?
See what Ryzen Master shows for temps first. If it turns out that the 92C is actually 72C then there isn't much to worry about. If Ryzen Master does show 92C as well then swapping fan direction to pull in from the rear might help. In the data center world it isn't uncommon to have switches with different fan directions depending on your setup. For you the biggest issue will be reversing the airflow will be the back fans don't have dust filters.

Ryzen Master says 81.45°C and I believe his, my office has turned into a sauna today.

There is also a red warning that says 92% of 90A EDC (CPU)
EDC info threads: https://community.amd.com/thread/230768
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9twvw0/what_does_edc_means_in_ryzen_master/

81.45C is still within limits, but I'd want it 75C or less under 100% load.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Okay. I'll reverse the fans and see what happens. Just in case I made a booboo and installed them wrong, heck, for all I know, they might all be blowing in or out :D How do I check which way the blow?

Actually went up to 92°C just there... here: I've taken some photos to give you an idea of what the desk / room looks like. With the door to the left and the window/radiator to the right, I really don't know where else to put the PC...
NiwRIS2.jpg

fOFFPQz.jpg

b35GEo9.jpg

Moving all the fans to the front isn't an option, is it?
That really does only just fit in there heh. I think I would seriously consider returning the case and motherboard and get ITX ones so it would fit better.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
So,I've reversed the fans, booted it up just about 2-3 min ago. Idling at 40°C (keeps going up and down between 40 and 50 when I do something like open the browser). Will run the game now to see.

When I had pulled it out and taken off the side covers I ran the game to, there it seemed to peak at 57°C. It was a small battle, but that seemed nice and low.

I should add that the outside temperature here is 32°C, at least it was yesterday, but the apartment is relatively cool (except for my office, that was pretty toasty, actually).

So,I've reversed the fans, booted it up just about 2-3 min ago. Idling at 40°C (keeps going up and down between 40 and 50 when I do something like open the browser). Will run the game now to see.

When I had pulled it out and taken off the side covers I ran the game to, there it seemed to peak at 57°C. It was a small battle, but that seemed nice and low.

I should add that the outside temperature here is 32°C, at least it was yesterday, but the apartment is relatively cool (except for my office, that was pretty toasty, actually).
That seems have solved the issue to some extent.
Use MSI After burner and test the temps on both GPU and CPU while gaming.