[SOLVED] New gaming build, budget flexible, use €2000 as orientation

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
I've just moved into a second home and because there is 1,000km between my two homes now, I feel I need a whole new build, as hauling my rig around seems unreasonable. Also, my other PC is 10 years old at this point and even though it has been updated to cope with what I use it for, a 10-year-old main board poses certain limitations.

My budget is flexible, I think staying below €2,000 would be reasonable, but if I could get a significant boost in performance for a couple hundred more, I'd probably do that.

My primary uses for the PC will be gaming and internet surfing. I have a bad habit of opening thousands (literally!) of tabs when surfing and the game that I will probably be playing for the foreseeable future (and certainly the most demanding in terms of gaming performance) is Total War: Warhammer 2. So ideally my new build could run that game on maximum settings (ultra unit scale, first and foremost) and handle an unreasonable amount of open tabs.

Approximate Purchase Date: soon, i.e. I will buy parts as soon as I have all the info I need

Budget Range: flexible, ideally below €2,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, watching movies, gaming (Total War: Warhammer 2)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade:Completely new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (and I despise Windows 10 so either Win7 compatibility or help in tweaking Win10 to effective become Win7 would be greatly appreciated)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't care. Last time I built a PC, I bought parts from various websites

Parts Preferences: I don't care.

Overclocking: Probably not. I'd rather just buy better parts than reduce life expectancy of my build. If it can be done without harming parts, sure, but you'd have to tell me how.

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what that is.

Your Monitor Resolution: I don't know what's common here. My current PC has 1920x1080, I think that's enough?

Additional Comments: A quiet PC would be much preferred.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not really upgrading, but my current PC slows down significantly during large battles in TW: Warhammer 2.

Please let me know if you need any more info from me!

Solution
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mrshp8

I have added the 280mm version on the Arctic CPU cooler. Looks like PCpartspicker doesn't include all possible merchants, so I have, for example, just found the monitor for €439 elsewhere. Looks like it might be a little cheaper in the end!

I'm just a bit insecure about the more expensive bits, at the moment. Maybe you could give me a little more guidance there, if I'm not being too demanding of your time!

So basically, I'm wondering regarding CPU, Motherboard, GPU (and maybe the monitor), how much difference in price and performance the next cheaper and the next dearer options would make respectively.

Also, a much more general question: With which of these parts does the brand...

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Seems to peak at about 72°C now. I'll test more. Does anyone know a tool that can monitor all the temperatures, not just CPU and also draw a graph over time? Thi s Ryzen Master only shows the current temp

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Thanks guys. No, I only have 3. Two came with the case, one I purchased additionally. There are two in the config, but the shop I bought the parts from only had one. I asked and @jeremyj_83 said the additional one was only for dust management, so I figured I could do without. I can buy and install more, though, if that helps.

Still at ~73°C now, but I can feel that the radiator slits in the front of the case (left and right) is noticeably hot, not warm, read: almost hurts to touch.

It is also fairly loud now, I can hear it over my room fan. I'm getting worried, I have to say.

Thanks guys. No, I only have 3. Two came with the case, one I purchased additionally. There are two in the config, but the shop I bought the parts from only had one. I asked and @jeremyj_83 said the additional one was only for dust management, so I figured I could do without. I can buy and install more, though, if that helps.

Still at ~73°C now, but I can feel that the radiator slits in the front of the case (left and right) is noticeably hot, not warm, read: almost hurts to touch.

It is also fairly loud now, I can hear it over my room fan. I'm getting worried, I have to say.
That is funny it should have two packed in from factory. Well no need to buy extra fan just that you could have tested if it was able to bring down temps by 4-5°C.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Still downloading. Will do in a few min.

There were 2 fans in the case an I bought one initially.

What temperature should it have? I mean, sitting here in front of it actually makes me sweat - and I have a fan blowing cool air at me from across the room already!

Still downloading. Will do in a few min.

There were 2 fans in the case an I bought one initially.

What temperature should it have? I mean, sitting here in front of it actually makes me sweat - and I have a fan blowing cool air at me from across the room already!
But then did you get fans with the CPU Cooler.
How many fans in total do you have. Including Fans in case and Fans included with CPU Cooler and the One you Purchased.

Are you using AIO. Because if you are then the Fans connected to the Radiator which I think you mounted to the front of the case are used to Push or Pull air in and out of the Case passing through Radiator.

Did you mount the radiator to the front or did you mount it to the top.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Played for a while now, Ryzen Master says CPU is at 70°C (but this tool crashes very reliably every 20 min or so, not sure how much I can trust it) and the MSI Afterburner reading for GPU temp is 66°C.

And the whole case, front and back, is so hot, it's unpleasant to touch.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Are you using AIO. Because if you are then the Fans connected to the Radiator which I think you mounted to the front of the case are used to Push or Pull air in and out of the Case passing through Radiator.

Did you mount the radiator to the front or did you mount it to the top.
What is AIO?

And what do you mean by radiator? The case has this solid plate fron cover with slits for airflow to the left and right. I'd imagine this would seriously restrict air flow, but I assumed that Fractal know what they're doing

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Here is another design with changing the CPU & cooler, I added one more case fan for the front intake to make doubly sure it is positive air flow design.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€288.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (€42.75 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (€202.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€133.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€58.90 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€135.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Dragon Video Card (€407.99 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€98.89 @ Alternate)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit (€40.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan (€16.82 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140 mm Fan (€16.82 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Monitor: Philips 345B1C/00 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor (€458.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1980.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-17 15:52 CEST+0200
I'm using this config, except I only got one of the Case fans. And a different SSD, but that shouldn't matter.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
klaMrxZ.jpg
HC3WBdU.jpg
nrL7gxw.jpg