[SOLVED] New gaming build, budget flexible, use €2000 as orientation

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
I've just moved into a second home and because there is 1,000km between my two homes now, I feel I need a whole new build, as hauling my rig around seems unreasonable. Also, my other PC is 10 years old at this point and even though it has been updated to cope with what I use it for, a 10-year-old main board poses certain limitations.

My budget is flexible, I think staying below €2,000 would be reasonable, but if I could get a significant boost in performance for a couple hundred more, I'd probably do that.

My primary uses for the PC will be gaming and internet surfing. I have a bad habit of opening thousands (literally!) of tabs when surfing and the game that I will probably be playing for the foreseeable future (and certainly the most demanding in terms of gaming performance) is Total War: Warhammer 2. So ideally my new build could run that game on maximum settings (ultra unit scale, first and foremost) and handle an unreasonable amount of open tabs.

Approximate Purchase Date: soon, i.e. I will buy parts as soon as I have all the info I need

Budget Range: flexible, ideally below €2,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, watching movies, gaming (Total War: Warhammer 2)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade:Completely new build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (and I despise Windows 10 so either Win7 compatibility or help in tweaking Win10 to effective become Win7 would be greatly appreciated)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't care. Last time I built a PC, I bought parts from various websites

Parts Preferences: I don't care.

Overclocking: Probably not. I'd rather just buy better parts than reduce life expectancy of my build. If it can be done without harming parts, sure, but you'd have to tell me how.

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what that is.

Your Monitor Resolution: I don't know what's common here. My current PC has 1920x1080, I think that's enough?

Additional Comments: A quiet PC would be much preferred.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not really upgrading, but my current PC slows down significantly during large battles in TW: Warhammer 2.

Please let me know if you need any more info from me!

Solution
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/Mrshp8

I have added the 280mm version on the Arctic CPU cooler. Looks like PCpartspicker doesn't include all possible merchants, so I have, for example, just found the monitor for €439 elsewhere. Looks like it might be a little cheaper in the end!

I'm just a bit insecure about the more expensive bits, at the moment. Maybe you could give me a little more guidance there, if I'm not being too demanding of your time!

So basically, I'm wondering regarding CPU, Motherboard, GPU (and maybe the monitor), how much difference in price and performance the next cheaper and the next dearer options would make respectively.

Also, a much more general question: With which of these parts does the brand...

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
The PC is sitting outside now, it's at 62°C now, the difference seems rather small.

GPU at 80°C and CPU at 62°C when outside the compartment. Inside it was 80-90°C and 66°C respectively.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Phew. I guess it was just the fans on the CPU cooler then. They were both pointing out.

Played another round, looks like the peaks are 70°C for the CPU and 85°C for the GPU.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
They both seem to idle at about 59°C... so I guess that's just the ambient temp of the PC.

Seem high, but considering that my last PC was always crazy hot, too and lasted 10 years, I'm not too worried. :/

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Ambient temps will make a big difference in the idle temps.

How has the performance been in WH2?
Performance is great. It's just those outages I've had. I described them earlier. Screen goes black for 2-3 seconds, then comes back blocky in black and white, then the game is back. Music keeps playing the whole time.

Plus the PC is so incredibly hot down their next to my leg.... it's still so hot to the touch, it almost hurts.

And my room is still very noticeably warmer than the rest of the apartment.

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Yes. Except for spikes of a few seconds where it goes above 80, it is consistently around 72°C at the moment.

GPU has been consistently at 93°C for about an hour. I have noticed this now: There is a fan that I can clearly hear whining in the case, every couple of minutes it cuts out, then the screen turns black for a few seconds.

I have also finally managed to capture the blackouts in Warhammer 2, here's a video:
View: https://i.imgur.com/ol9XTIa.mp4

horstp

Reputable
Jul 17, 2018
Seriously. If I hadn't thrown out all the packages, I'd send the whole thing back. I realise now what a bad mistake it was not to mention the fact that the PC would have to live in a very tight space.