New Gaming build Core i7 975 Extreme edition feedback please

His Nibs

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Hello, I would really appreciate some feedback as to the following sytem's components I'm contemplating purchasing. Bear in mind these prices are in CDN dollars are from a local computer shop and the shop will be doing the physical assembly as well. $1275 Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 (4x3.2GHz, 8MB Cache, LGA1366)
$??? Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer Motherboard (Intel X58 Chipset, SLI + Cross Fire, SAS + SATA) (*1)
$205 Kingston HyperX 6GB 1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Kit (*2)
$450 2 x Seagate Cheetah 15,000RPM 73GB SAS Hard Drive (*3)
$109 Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA2 Hard Drive
$919 2 x Evga NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 FTW 1GB PCI-Express Graphics Card
$139 LG GBC-H20L DL DVD+/-RW & Blu-Ray Player
$405 Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W ATX Power Supply
$239 CoolerMaster Cosmos S Black Full Size ATX Case
$219 Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit (*4)
$50 Physical Assembly + Windows Installation
$10 BC Environmental Handling Fee
---------------------------
$4459 Total, before tax I'm almost certain I'm not going with the Cheetah drives, Barracuda drive as I have a RAID 5 setup with 3-500GB HD's and I'll just add another 500GB drive and go RAID 10. Going with another PC case because I don't like the look of the recommended one although I don't have an idea of which one just yet although would like one with hot-swappable HD SAS/SATA bay. Going with Windows 7 64-bit not Vista and probably going without the LG as well as Blu-Ray isn't mainstream enough yet. That being said with the money being saved by the deletions I may put that into 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295's instead. Water cooling is preferred but I like the Zalman CNPS9700 LED CPU Cooler or the Thermalright Ultra120 Extreme CPU Cooler.

Stock Cooler?

And more than a 22" monitor I hope.

Seriously, you already know your paying a high premium for the increase in performance this setup provides. The last time I did this I spent $6k on a system 3 years ago, and while it still runs everything I get my hands on, I could have spent $3k or less twice and be riding a newer, faster horse today.

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
What are you going to do with this monstrous contraption but if it's just for gaming given the fact that by year's end the new GPU's will be out and they will have DirectX11 and new processors will be out plus who knows what else then most likely this configuration will allow you to play most if not all games maxed out.
How about this:
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819115202
MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131365
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145224
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130433
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139006
CASE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811129021
DVD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827135165
Total:$1152
I know that you required CDN but this is for comparison only.You could get 2 GPU's.The rest of the parts are open to change (also so are those above).You could get next year much powerful hardware or whenever you wish.I was about to buy a $5000 PC 2 years ago but I stoped in time :kaola: insted I bought a ~$1200 PC that worked well and later the new stuff(DX10) came out. BTW when I saw your build I was like :eek: .
Hope I helped and not wasted your time.

His Nibs

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for your replies guys. Andraxxus I'm not sure if Newegg's site is down but all your links get me a Home> 404 error and it says page unavailable error but thanks for your suggestions all the same. I am debating about giving this the green light as your points about GPU's and processors have crossed my mind and if I'm going to spend this kind of money I would like bleeding edge and if that means waiting until the fall so be it. I have the money and can wait it out if need be. I haven't had a new system for 6 years now so if I dole out this kind of coin I know I won't need to upgrade for awhile or maybe just one or two pieces not the whole setup. Thanks. Oh BTW this will be a Media Centre PC as well and will be wired to a 50" plasma/LCD TV so not worried about monitor size ;)

His Nibs

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Andraxxus, the link for DVD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827135165 is for a deactivated product so that's a no go but again I appreciate your diligence in fixing it so I could go to newegg for a look. I guess I'll have to go to their Canadian website to find corresponding products/prices. I don't want to go on the cheap though either. The main reason I'm not going for a core i7 920 is you can't guarantee it's overclockability. Every chip is different so by going with the 965/975 I'm getting an unlocked multiplier. ASUS's mobo p6t6 ws revolution has 6 USB2.0 PCIe X 16 slots all X16 they don't default to 4/8 and that's also another feature that's inportant to this build. I've though about going SSD but for the time being price per GB isn't where it needs to be right now not to mention that I've read that over time their read/write speeds slow considerably over time/use and I'd rather wait until the PCIe bus feature is adapted for SSD's anyway.

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I put the link to the discontinued Asus instead of the Plextor link (facepalm) so no more Newegg links but still there might be something interesting (I hope this news is better then my links) http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,686976/Intel-to-release-Nehalem-with-6-cores-later-this-year/News/
but this CPU might not have HT so it will have only 6 cores and not 12.

His Nibs

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

Definitely P6T7 WS SuperComputer mobo. Thanks for that helloworld_98!!!!!!!

His Nibs

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

Just read that article and I think maybe I'll hold off buying anything for now until fall. At the very least I'll probably be able to get some better pricing on the components. Thanks again Andraxxus!

samucaninja

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi there.

A couple of years ago I was in a similar dilema as you are now.
I was thinking on what are the best parts & OS for my new PC so I can reach the fastest performance ?

And just after a few hours thinking, researching on the web, reading forums, I realize the PS3 was the best option for gaming, and it remains for it today in my point of view.

No viruses, no Microsoft OS, no security patches, no freezing, no bugged video and/or sound drivers.

No worries, just fun.

Samucaninja

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
No SSD? Why get the two Cheetah drives when you can get two nice Intel SDD. They are certainly more reliable. Also I don't recommend the Cosmos S. I got it, decent case but poor cable management and horrible hard drive cage. Definitely not tool free for hard drives. Should be good for water cooling, however. For air cooling, the Cosmos HAF is often recommended.

unlimitedro

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

ditch that mb, it doesnt help at all. get p6t6.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
You're PSU is overkill. I would consider this a extremely high end PSU and would easly handle this rig and cost significaly less: Antec Signature 850 - This thing can handle two gtx 295's if u wanted it to. (This PSU is truely in a league of its own)

I'm surpised no one has said this yet but your CPU is big time over kill to. Just go with the i7 920. Much cheaper and basically the same performance. A lot of people have had even better luck overclocking this cpu than the 965 when reviewing a lot of benchmarks.

There's nothing out there that would even touch the power underneath it.
I wouldn't go with the Cheetah's either. If your dead set on having fast hard drives go with intels SSD's noted above. And use WD Black 1TB for your backup.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
If you truely want to just blow money on an overkill rig:
OVERKILL - This rig would still need water cooling. I want to strongly confirm that I'm just helping here and would never buy such a rig.

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
I didn't read all the responses but if no one has said it yet...You will be a lot happier spending 2000 or less now, and then spending 2000 two years from now. That way in two years, you still have all the latest stuff rather than a bunch of parts that were good two years ago.

G

Use the QuadCrossfireX support to get 2 of the XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition. It's the best you can get at the moment and has the Black Edition overclocking ready for you to use in the box. There is no SLI setup that will beat it.
Stick with that great motherboard. It will be brilliant for many years to come. As will the video cards which have DirectX11 support for into the future. Just make sure that your PSU can handle it. It should be able to as you ony need 2 GPU's instead of 4.