Build Advice New gaming build for 2023 ?

Apr 15, 2023
Hi I was wondering if anyone could recommend some new parts for a gaming setup.

Preferences
Motherboard: Intel or am5
RAM: ddr5
GPU: amd or nvidia good for 1440p/4k
PSU: 1000watts
Case: Corsair
Air cooler

I currently have an LG C2 48" OLED for display , so don't need a monitor, but will need a keyboard and mouse in the budget. Really only want to spend £2000 if possible.

Any ideas would be brilliant. Don't want an overkill gpu, just a decent one like 4070 or amd one that is good for gaming.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i5-13600KF 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (£279.56 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£114.43 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£99.99 @ Box Limited)
Video Card: *XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card (£962.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: *Fractal Design Focus 2 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (£70.97 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: *MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit (£103.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: *ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (£9.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Total: £2003.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-04 16:10 BST+0100

A better look at those components.

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/focus/focus-2/rgb-black-tg-clear-tint/

https://www.msi.com/Power-Supply/MPG-A850G-PCIE5

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B760-TOMAHAWK-WIFI

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-24m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz/specifications.html

https://www.deepcool.com/products/C...al-Tower-CPU-Cooler-1700-AM5/2022/16082.shtml

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-black-sn770-ssd-review

average-fps-3840-2160.png

Reactions: Lucky_SLS
Some thoughts for you:
I use a the same LG 48" c2 tv.
To run it at 120hz(the max) you need a graphics card with HDMI 2.1 output.
In the nvidia realm which I am more familiar, that is a 3000 series card or better.
And, you want an ultra high hdmi cable.

On the cpu side, consider the types of games that you will play,
If you play cpu centric games, like MMO,strategy or sims, then buy a strong cpu.
Particularly strong in single thread performance.
If you play fast action games, higher resolutions or eye candy then favor a strong graphics card.
Tom's gpu hierarchy chart is a decent guide to comparable gpu capabilities:
I would avoid the cards with maximum factory overclocks; pick an intrinsically stronger base card instead.

Intel cpu option will allow you to use DDR4 ram and motherboards which are cheaper and perform comparably to DDR5.
Intel does not depend on fast ram. 3600 speed ddr4 is fine.
The amd 7800X3d processors looks good for gaming, but they are deficient in any other work. I would be hesitant due to the recent issues with bad voltage destroying the processors.
amd will need ddr5 and performance is connected to the speed of ram.

Intel 13600K/13700K would be a good choice. 13700K is top of the line.
You get what you pay for.
Spend the extra $25 or so for the non F version with integrated graphics.
You will be glad you did if you ever have a gpu issue.

Most any lga1700 motherboard will do, but I would avoid the lesser chipsets like H610.
Pick Z690/Z790/B660/B760.
Modern processors rely on the normal turbo mechanism; overclocking is not usually useful.

What case do you have in mind?
For good air cooling, it should have two 140mm front intakes or 3 120mm intakes to give sufficient airflow to the cpu cooler and graphics card. In coolers, there is nothing better than the noctua NH-D15.
That cooler needs 165mm headroom.

Nothing wrong with over provisioning the psu with 1000w.
A psu only uses the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
DO NOT skimp on quality.
Look for a corsair RMx or seasonic prime/focus with at least a 10 year warranty.

Apr 15, 2023
Some thoughts for you:
I use a the same LG 48" c2 tv.
To run it at 120hz(the max) you need a graphics card with HDMI 2.1 output.
In the nvidia realm which I am more familiar, that is a 3000 series card or better.
And, you want an ultra high hdmi cable.

On the cpu side, consider the types of games that you will play,
If you play cpu centric games, like MMO,strategy or sims, then buy a strong cpu.
Particularly strong in single thread performance.
If you play fast action games, higher resolutions or eye candy then favor a strong graphics card.
Tom's gpu hierarchy chart is a decent guide to comparable gpu capabilities:
I would avoid the cards with maximum factory overclocks; pick an intrinsically stronger base card instead.

Intel cpu option will allow you to use DDR4 ram and motherboards which are cheaper and perform comparably to DDR5.
Intel does not depend on fast ram. 3600 speed ddr4 is fine.
The amd 7800X3d processors looks good for gaming, but they are deficient in any other work. I would be hesitant due to the recent issues with bad voltage destroying the processors.
amd will need ddr5 and performance is connected to the speed of ram.

Intel 13600K/13700K would be a good choice. 13700K is top of the line.
You get what you pay for.
Spend the extra $25 or so for the non F version with integrated graphics.
You will be glad you did if you ever have a gpu issue.

Most any lga1700 motherboard will do, but I would avoid the lesser chipsets like H610.
Pick Z690/Z790/B660/B760.
Modern processors rely on the normal turbo mechanism; overclocking is not usually useful.

What case do you have in mind?
For good air cooling, it should have two 140mm front intakes or 3 120mm intakes to give sufficient airflow to the cpu cooler and graphics card. In coolers, there is nothing better than the noctua NH-D15.
That cooler needs 165mm headroom.

Nothing wrong with over provisioning the psu with 1000w.
A psu only uses the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
DO NOT skimp on quality.
Look for a corsair RMx or seasonic prime/focus with at least a 10 year warranty.
Thanks for the info I will go with Intel cpu and nvidia gpu as this has served me well in previous generations thanks for the advice mate 👍