[SOLVED] New Gaming computer, Cpu super hot.

Oct 14, 2021
Hey guys ,
First of all sorry for my english
Posting today cause I have a big issue and I dont know what to do and how to solve it :
I just bought a new computer, and after 2 days ( i was downloading all the stuff, installing games etc) I saw that the pc was very hot when on gaming.
I checked with hw monitor and indeed, the CPU (and the mother board? )was super hot (90Degres !).
I brought it back to the after sales service, and the guy called me , told me that he was playing for 45 minute, and the temperature was not more than 60 degres....
I dont understand where it can come from... I told him that i think that the noctua NH-L9a-AM4 was too tiny for this pc, so he changed it to a Artic cooler 34 esport duo.

I just took the PC back, and when im doing my test, look like nothing changed... when im ingame, on HW monitor, maximum is 88 degrees..

What should i look at ?

My pc :
Amd Ryzen 5600x
Msi Meg x570
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4(Update : Changed to a Artic freezer 34 pro duo)
Samsung Evo plus 970
Corsair spec delta tempered glass
Geforce Gtx 3070 Ti asus tuf

I though it came from the cpu cooler but its seems that the problem is not appearing in the after sales services .. so i dont know ..

Solution
The Arctic Freezer is a lot better than the low profile L9a.

What are you using to measure temp? Ryzen, especially 5000 series, is known to boost aggressively to maximum clocks and spike temps along with it. Those temp spikes are short live but utilities still record it as the CPU temp. I'd suggest getting HWInfo 64 and looking for the CPU die Average temp sensors to get the true measure of the CPU's temperature.

Otherwise, the usual applies: double check cooler mounting hardware and make sure the cooler isn't cocked on the CPU.

Ralston18

Titan
Your English is fine.

Temperatures: C or F? (I think C but no harm in verifying.)

PSU: make, model, wattage, age ("0"), condition ("New")? Not previously used or refurbished - correct?

Any over-clocking?

What games did you play? What games did the "guy" play?

Are you able to see if all of the fans are working? No blocked vents

= = = =

This case?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Corsair-...ower-ATX-Gaming-Case-Tempered-Glass/609980862

Note the bottom most image showing the various fan and cooling options.

Is your pc using a supported configuration (option)?

How many fans and where/how are the fans installed?

Could be that the air flows are not as they should be. Check the case's User Guide/Manual.

The Arctic Freezer is a lot better than the low profile L9a.

What are you using to measure temp? Ryzen, especially 5000 series, is known to boost aggressively to maximum clocks and spike temps along with it. Those temp spikes are short live but utilities still record it as the CPU temp. I'd suggest getting HWInfo 64 and looking for the CPU die Average temp sensors to get the true measure of the CPU's temperature.

Otherwise, the usual applies: double check cooler mounting hardware and make sure the cooler isn't cocked on the CPU.

Solution
Oct 14, 2021
Hey, Thx for your answers.

Temperature : C

Psu : ASUS Rog Strix Modular 750w Gold

What games : Horizon Zero dawn/Path of exile

What games he played : 45 min of Horizon zero dawn

Any over clocking : My gtx 3070 is OC from the Asus

For the case yea think its the one you linked.

All the fan are working ''good'' ( i dont know if they are , but they are mooving lol.

To mesure temp im using hwmonitor, on my cpu right now it say (without gaming ) 50 degrees , Min: 48, Max 87

I dont understand how to use HWinfo 64. should i just run it and take a picture of the dashboard and send it here?

What ''the cooler isn't cooked on the cpu'' mean ? ( my computer is still on the 14 days of guarantee, i cant open it :S

Last edited:

I dont understand how to use HWinfo 64. should i just run it and take a picture of the dashboard and send it here?

What ''the cooler isn't cooked on the cpu'' mean ? ( my computer is still on the 14 days of guarantee, i cant open it :S
HWInfo presents a lot of information but it's not hard to use... when you open it just tick the SENSORS ONLY box. Then skim through the list of sensors to find one labeled CPU Die (Average). That's a running average of all the sensors across the CPU die. There are a lot of sensors and other ones are reporting the hottest of them at the instant within certain areas. There's almost always one that's hot at the moment as the CPU boosts so aggressively (it's called hotspot temp reporting). Although still not really accurate, the AVERAGE of all of them is the best indication of actual thermal output of the CPU die.

Once you've got the CPU die (Average) sensor, there's 4 columns: current, minimum, maximum and average. That's the current average of the sensors, then the minimum and maximum readings since you started the program.

The AVERAGE column is the average of the sensor averages across a time period, so that's going to show you how average temperature is varying over a time period. That's really useful to graph to see it's movement when running a game, just right click on the label and select SHOW GRAPH . You can adjust the time period in configuration, but that's not really necessary.

You can also hover your mouse over a sensor label to get a little info (tooltip) on what it is.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021
Ok so the Die of all of them together is : Min : 54 Max : 81 Average :71.
I dont know if its mean that the cpu its ok and mean to be like this or if there is a problem.. ?

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
I dont know if its mean that the cpu its ok and mean to be like this or if there is a problem.. ?
An average of 71C while playing is not much for that CPU.
The only thing that I think it's high is the Min: 54C. I think that at least in idle should be a bit low, especially with that cooler.
If you leave your pc doing nothing at lease, for example 5m, what is the temp?

As a reference: Tjmax for 5600X CPU's is 95C so anything lower than that is 'safe'. Also, AMD's stated that it can push hard to Tjmax when boosting so you need to expect warmer temps than you may be used to so I'd say temps in the low 70's is pretty good. It's always nice to keep a Ryzen cool though as the boost algorithm is temperature sensitive, but short of a 240mm AIO not much more you can do and not sure it would get you much if you did. Maybe if you turned on PBO, which makes it boost higher/longer but also run hotter.

if im just on the net and doing nothing much the die is between 35 and 43 degrees
Another thing that make me wonder : on the hwinfo the power reporting deviation is very low,like its on the report. i posted a picture

https://ibb.co/rmLF5nY
That temp looks good for low CPU utilization (a Windows system is never truly 'idle').

Power reporting deviation is a bit confusing. It only reports valid values if the CPU is working extremely hard in a realistic work load with CPU settings full stock (both clocks and voltage on AUTO, PBO not enabled). Cinebench 20 or 23 is the best thing to use, in a multi-thread test. It should read 100% +/- 10%. If the error is greater than that the motherboard mfr. probably didn't calibrate the power reporting correctly so power and current sensor readings won't be accurate.

Last edited: