New Gaming Computer Crashing

beeerendan

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Hi. Just last week I recently had a friend of mine put together a pc for me and already its constantly crashing when ever I play steam games such as Dota 2 and Counterstrike:GO. The crash happens randomly, sometimes 2 minutes in, sometimes 2 hours in, the screen just completely freezes along with sound and the only thing I can do is a hard reset. I monitor the temps myself and see nothing abnormal so really I'm stumped... This pc cost me an arm and a leg, I've tried to diagnose the problem myself but so far I am having no luck. The only things I can think of would be a faulty HDD,SSD or RAM...All parts are brand new except the SSD which I've had for about a year.
This is my parts list. I am running Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.
PLEASE HELP MY BABY :(

Asus Strix DirectCU II GTX 970 4GB
Coolermaster V750s Gold 750w Power Supply
Aerocool X-Predator Evil Blue Case
AMD FX-9590 8 Core Black Edition CPU
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/R2 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB RAM DDR3
Seagate 3.5 Barracuda 3TB HDD
Corsair Hydro Series H100i CPU Cooler
Plextor 256GB SSD

Solution
Hey! I have to disagree with Yoda! And Yes sizzling is right, it's not supported by your mobo.

The fact that Asus would do this is really stupid. Sabertooth is supposed to be one of the best, but what ever. If you can return the cpu do it, if not sell it on ebay or craigslist. Get the FX 8350 or 8320, both same chip as the fx 9590. Overclock this bad boy and have your system as you would dream of, but better :D

For source check this out: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37763-ASUS-Sabertooth-990FX-Rev-1-and-AMD-FX9590
Thanks, and sorry for this man :(

YoDa_95

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
OMG....you went with an AMD cpu. Normal advice is to stay away, from AMD cpu especially the 8 core version. They are not meant for home use unless you are using CPU intensive softwares. Sorry to say...replace your CPU with an Intel or something. I'm not a expert on cpus but I know a thing or two.

beeerendan

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Well its too late for that since my motherboard is AM3+ :(
I have put both my motherboard and CPU up for sale at a cheaper price...i just hope for the best

As for the voltages... it seems that you are right Sizzling, do you think this could be the reason?

Faradayxy

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
Hey! I have to disagree with Yoda! And Yes sizzling is right, it's not supported by your mobo.

The fact that Asus would do this is really stupid. Sabertooth is supposed to be one of the best, but what ever. If you can return the cpu do it, if not sell it on ebay or craigslist. Get the FX 8350 or 8320, both same chip as the fx 9590. Overclock this bad boy and have your system as you would dream of, but better :D

For source check this out: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37763-ASUS-Sabertooth-990FX-Rev-1-and-AMD-FX9590
Thanks, and sorry for this man :(

Solution

beeerendan

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Hahaha, thanks dude but its far too late to return anything now :(
Yeah Im absolutely devastated about that, why is it so weak?
its one of asus' most expensive motherboards (which is the reason why i got it, yeah i know lol im one of those people who just chooses the most expensive parts without really doing research, for this I admit I am an idiot)
I'm from australia so I guess my next best bet would be eBay....
I dont have the packaging for the parts, what would be the safest way to package them to minimize damage etc
Thank you so much btw guys

The motherboard not being able to deliver the wattage (voltage is different) would definitely cause instability and seems highly likely to be the problem. From what I read the FX9*** range use such a ridiculously high amount of power that very few motherboards support them. I guess the extra cost and heat is not something the board manufactures want to deal with. They are very powerful chips but the heat and power requirements are just extremely high.

Faradayxy

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
I wouldn't upgrade to i7, just sell the amd fx 9590 and get the fx 8320 or 8350. If you do get intel, go for the i5 4690k. It's cheaper, but best one for great computer gaming for budget. Like not like low budget but good budget :D