Question New gaming laptop not running smooth

stonebuster1

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I just bought a Lenovo Legion 7 slim and i've just tested to play runescape 3 in ULTRA hd graphics and it isn't running as smooth as i thought. Don't get me wrong it's playable, but when entering crowded areas or doing certain things in game like walking about, it seems to lag slightly.

Here are the laptop specs:
Processor: 12th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-12700H Processor (E-cores up to 3.50 GHz P-cores up to 4.70 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64
Display Type: 16" WQXGA (2560 x 1600), IPS, Anti-Glare, Non-Touch, HDR400, 100%sRGB, 500 nits, 165Hz, LED Backlight, Narrow Bezel, Low Blue Light
Memory: 8 GB DDR5-4800MHz (SODIMM) + 8 GB DDR5-4800MHz (Soldered)
Storage: 1 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 TLCWarrantyOne Year PremiumCareAC Adapter230W Slim Tip
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Should the game be running smooth in ULTRA with these specs?
What can I do to make it run smoother?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 362816

Game is old and isn't optimized for the newest hardware. I am sure the video card is downclocking like Nvidia does in most old games. There may be a way to force higher GPU usage but I personally don't know it with that title.

Sep 24, 2022
If you're using an external monitor try setting VSYNC on, - it helped me a lot. Also I run with a swapfile of both minimum and maximum set to 3 times the size of my total memory in the machine (which helped a lot making everything run quieter and smoother. Also try setting high performance mode both in your lenovo legions vantage tool but also in windows 11's power settings. I also had good results in some games (for instance Civilization VI) by setting it to NOT cap the frame rate. Also be mindful that sometimes DirectX 12 will run much jerkier and slower than DirextX 11 or even lower DirectX, because if the game is optimized for a certain version of DirectX, and sometimes using windowed fullscreen will work better than regular fullscreen. Some of these things are anti-intuitive, but try it yourself and watch what works on your machine.