[SOLVED] New gaming pc advice

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Hi, I'm looking to order a new pre built gaming pc this week and I have two options and amarwondering which would be better. Mainly online 1st and 3rd person shooters and might venture into vr. I have a 1440 monitor but will be upgrading to 4k soon. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

ComponentDescription
ChassisCorsair Carbide 275R TG
MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz 8-Core with SMT
CPU Cooler3XS 240mm AIO Liquid Cooler
Memory16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4
Graphics Card8GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER BLACK EDITION
Power SupplyCorsair CX550M - 80PLUS
System Drive1TB Intel 660p M.2 SSD
NetworkingIntel LAN & ASUS Wi-Fi
Or

ComponentDescription
ChassisCorsair Carbide 275R TG
MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX B360-H GAMING
ProcessorIntel Core i7 9700F 3.0GHz Eight Core
CPU Cooler3XS 240mm AIO Liquid Cooler
Memory16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz DDR4
Graphics Card8GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super BLACK EDITION
Power SupplyCorsair CX550M – 80PLUS
System Drive1TB Intel 660p M.2 SSD

Solution
Welp, I guess then, you don't really need my thought, which is that your PSU will STRUGGLE with the GPU and CPU.
Minimum PSU for a 2080 Super is 600watts, but what do I know, right?

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I've been out of the computer game for a while. The guy at scan said you would get better gaming performance with the Intel. You can't overclock that Intel but could you overclock the 3700x on that motherboard?

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
It is the one bit that's worrying me. This is what it says about that graphics card
Requirements
  • Minimum of a 650 Watt power supply.
  • An available 6-pin PCIe power connector and an available 8 pin PCIe power connector
  • Total Power Draw : 250 Watts

You will have issues with the PSU in the future mate.Maybe not for the first few days or months but certainly when the PSU will age a bit. You either ask them to replace it if possible with a higher wattage, or you need to do it as soon as you buy it. Of course building the PC on your own would have been much cheaper ...

Last edited:

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Of course building myself would be cheaper but my pc has just packed up and I need it for work so don't have the time. I haven't built a pc before and I imagine it would take quite a while

Jan 26, 2020
Of course building myself would be cheaper but my pc has just packed up and I need it for work so don't have the time. I haven't built a pc before and I imagine it would take quite a while
aslong as you make sure you have the right components and dont lack common sense then building a pc now days really isnt hard or doesnt take long at all , if you have never done it before there is tons of info and step by step guides online , when I built my first one I was nervous as hell but only took me about 2 hours to put it all together and get it up and running .. windows updates can take longer haha also as the guys have stated never ever skimp on the psu , I've always been told the psu and motherboard are the two components that you should set your budget as high as possible

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
For about 100 more I could get the following with an overclocked processor up to 5ghz that comes already on motherboard with ram and cooler plus 2tb instead of 1 and a better case and power supply. Is there anything I'm missing? I've had a bit of experience with computers changing graphics cards and adding storage but that's about it.

Reactions: Flayed
Jan 26, 2020
the psu looks spot on to me , personally I always use ssd or m.2 ssd no more than 1tb to run windows and c drive then in my gaming pc I have a 4tb seagate barracuda hdd that i solely use for installing games onto as ssd with high storage are still quite pricey , plus if your hdd fails it's not too much stress paying for and replacing , if you are on a tight budget a 500gb m.2 ssd would do aslong as it's just for gaming with a 4tb hdd , both of these combined £ wise will probably cost a bit more (maybe £50) but etleast your system will run faster and you will be able to store probably all the games you want