New Gaming PC Appears to be having a slower network performance!

Jake Rimmer

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Good Evening All,

I recently upgraded my to a Ryzen 5 build but it appears since i have gotten the new PC up and running the performance of the network appears to be significantly slower than the rest of my devices on the network.

I am using the MSI x370 pro carbon gaming motherboard and have made sure the Gigabit drivers are up to date and i also have a "TP-LINK Archer T6E PCI Wireless Adapter" (Link https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-and-upgrades/interface-cards/tp-link-archer-t6e-pci-wireless-adapter-ac-1300-dual-band-10140801-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR) which i have downloaded the drivers for as well.

Both my power line adaptor and Wireless network card pc appear to reach around 17-25Mbps Down according to speedtest. Yet if i am sat on my desk and use my Samsung S6 to perform the speedtest on that i am reaching 57Mbps Down.

Any ideas to how i can find the cause of this bottleneck i am using bitdefender Anti-virus and ensured my system is clean but i am fresh out of ideas on how to get this performance increased.

Regards
Jake

Solution
Found out it was due to my Extension cable my new pc rig setup also included a new 8 socket extension which i had to use along with another extender so i could cable manage the room better. Turns out which makes logical sense you can't have a Powerline adaptor going through 2 extension cables and expect the same results as if your plugged direct to a wall socket.

Sorry for being an idiot.

Ralston18

Titan
Wireless is just naturally slower than wired - even with an ideal wireless environment and proper configuration.

However, your post makes me wonder if you have both a wired and a wireless adapter enabled on your gaming PC. Should only be one or the other.

Powerline adapters are likely to perform between wired and wireless speeds but so much depends on the quality and condition of the home's electrical system

Are you able to sketch out and post a simple diagram of your network showing the network devices (wired and wireless)?

Jake Rimmer

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
Found out it was due to my Extension cable my new pc rig setup also included a new 8 socket extension which i had to use along with another extender so i could cable manage the room better. Turns out which makes logical sense you can't have a Powerline adaptor going through 2 extension cables and expect the same results as if your plugged direct to a wall socket.

Sorry for being an idiot.

Solution