[SOLVED] New gaming PC Build help!!!!

Feb 28, 2020
Hello forum,
I am looking to gain some insight on a new build that I just made that is less than a week old. So here is my situation. Upon building this system I ended up using my old computers power supply which is an evga 500w unit for a couple of days which might I add worked perfectly fine and had not caused me any problems gaming. I, however noticed that the minimum requirements for my GPU was a minimum of 600w. Concerned as I was, I ended up purchasing an evga 650w power supply. Now with that being said, I am unable to play my games anymore due to my computer shutting off within 3-5 minutes of being in game. I honestly do not understand what the issue is. Would anyone be able to provide any information to why this is happening with a higher powered power supply? Below I have listed the Specs of my build. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING (AM4) 32 °C
Graphics
Sceptre L24 (1920x1080@59Hz)
8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (MSI)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WDS100T2B0B-00YS70 (SATA (SSD)) 41 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Solution
thank you for the quick reply! This thing has been driving me crazy for the past few hours. I purchased an EVGA 100-N1-0650-L1, 650 N1, 650W. Should have I just stuck with my original one? It worked perfectly fine.
that psu is low rated and has no 80+ logo on it
here is the psu tier list https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-old/ but this is the old one
go with psu that have 80+ bronze/silver/gold/platinum/titanium logo :)
if your fine with the first psu then try switch it and find if the problem is gone,
like Ceriumin said the higher wattage psu will beated by lower wattage psu that come with beter quality
Hello forum,
I am looking to gain some insight on a new build that I just made that is less than a week old. So here is my situation. Upon building this system I ended up using my old computers power supply which is an evga 500w unit for a couple of days which might I add worked perfectly fine and had not caused me any problems gaming. I, however noticed that the minimum requirements for my GPU was a minimum of 600w. Concerned as I was, I ended up purchasing an evga 650w power supply. Now with that being said, I am unable to play my games anymore due to my computer shutting off within 3-5 minutes of being in game. I honestly do not understand what the issue is. Would anyone be able to provide any information to why this is happening with a higher powered power supply? Below I have listed the Specs of my build. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 9
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING (AM4) 32 °C
Graphics
Sceptre L24 (1920x1080@59Hz)
8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (MSI)
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WDS100T2B0B-00YS70 (SATA (SSD)) 41 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Welcome to Toms Hardware @slumped !

If you switched your psu then it definitely is a psu problem, and that your computer switches off. Also something to take in mind, a high wattage PSU generally does not mean its good. What is your exact PSU model of your psu? It could be rated low.

Feb 28, 2020
Welcome to Toms Hardware @slumped !

If you switched your psu then it definitely is a psu problem, and that your computer switches off. Also something to take in mind, a high wattage PSU generally does not mean its good. What is your exact PSU model of your psu? It could be rated low.

thank you for the quick reply! This thing has been driving me crazy for the past few hours. I purchased an EVGA 100-N1-0650-L1, 650 N1, 650W. Should have I just stuck with my original one? It worked perfectly fine.

johnupham80

Reputable
Sep 12, 2017
here is the psu tier list https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-old/ but this is the old one
if your fine with the first psu then try switch it and find if the problem is gone,
like Ceriumin said the higher wattage psu will beated by lower wattage psu that come with beter quality

Solution
Feb 28, 2020

great thank you so much for your help I am in the process of putting my old one back in. If it resolves the problem! That would be awesome! I don’t know what I was thinking “if it isn’t broke I shouldn’t fix it”

gravef1ghter

Reputable
Mar 4, 2017
Just an FYI, based on the components you listed and standard PSU wattage calculations, a 650W PSU should be fine for that system. Definitely with an 80+ bronze/gold/etc.. rating as the others have said too. Just a recommendation as well, if you add more hardware to that build you might want to increase the power capacity, you're right on the edge of a 1.5 multiplier as it is right now. Personally, I would. Good luck with your new build!

Feb 28, 2020
Thank you all for your input. I did try putting my old power supply and my problem went away. I will be returning that 650w to buy a much more highly rated power supply