New Gaming PC: Build vs. Buy vs. Build with reuse of some components

Bob DeFranco

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I currently have a somewhat elderly gaming PC. The motherboard is an EVGA 132-YW-E178-FTW, the CPU is an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 clocked at 3.00 GHz. I recently replaced a pair of EVGA GTX 295 graphics cards with an Asus GTX 970 Turbo card (way less power needed and noise, better performance), but otherwise the rig is mostly vintage 2008. It runs the sorts of games I play (mostly FPS) more than adequately. HOWEVER, the rig has become increasingly unstable recently, randomly rebooting or giving BSODs and other crashes. I'm thinking that all these years of baking have gotten some of the components (who knows which ones?) crispy, resulting in random failures.

So,my question is this: should I build a new PC, keeping only the graphics card, the case (a Cooler Master HAF932), and maybe the Swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima liquid cooling kit; should I buy a commercial PC from, say, HP or Dell, and install the graphics card; or should I build an entirely new PC, keeping only the graphics card?

I would love to hear your opinions, with as much support as you feel like providing.

Thanks.

Solution

reddwarf45

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Keep the GPU and the case and custom select your parts. It should be cheaper and you can get better components, if the mobo and CPU you choose support your liquid cooling then keep that as well.

TheZek42

Honorable
Jul 8, 2015
Honestly, after eight years I would keep the case if its in good condition, replace the PSU, because that sounds like it could be a problem and just get a new CPU mobo RAM combo. IF you just want to cool the CPU and not expand to GPU, just buy an AIO, like the NZXT Kraken X61 or Corsair H110.

Bob DeFranco

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

So, just to understand, you're suggesting that I NOT use the Swiftech liquid cooler? I think it's OK, so I'm not sure why I would replace it unless it doesn't go with the new MOBO/CPU.

I am starting to think that the PSU, which is an IN WIN irp-com 1200, may in fact be the issue as far as random reboots goes. I suppose I could just start swapping out old stuff until I have a new computer (helps with the cash flow, too). Anyhow, thanks for the specifics.

TheZek42

Honorable
Jul 8, 2015

Just to be clear, the Swiftech kit isn't a AIO its a full on kit that you put together yourself, but if you want to create a full loop later, go for it.

Solution