[SOLVED] New gaming pc doesn't seem to be performing as expected

Dec 5, 2018
Hey guys,

Just bought a new gaming pc a few days ago and it doesn't seem to be performing as I expected. It was built by the store since I'm pretty clueless when it comes to building computers. I ran a benchmark today, here were the results:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12670901

Seems like the graphics card in particular is underperforming. I've installed the latest drivers from GeForce but not sure if i'm supposed to do something else?

There's also a warning for the memory, i've enabled the XMP profile in BIOS but I couldn't find any settings for 'top' XMP profile.

These are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K Hex Core LGA 1151-2 3.70GHz Unlocked CPU Processor
Motherboard: MSI B360M MORTAR LGA 1151-2 Micro ATX Motherboard
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 CL14 2400MHz Memory
SSD/HDD: Intel 760p 128GB M.2 3D2 TLC NVMe SSD / Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB BarraCuda 3.5" SATA3
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Aero ITX 6GB OC Video Card
PSU: Thermaltake SMART RGB 600W 80 PLUS Power Supply
Chassis: Thermaltake Versa H18 Windowed Micro-ATX Case

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Solution
your GPU is running fine
userbenchmark lists all 1060s variations, your gpu is within expected performance range of that card, some peoples have higher score than you, but they have different card, even if gpu chip is same, tdp limit is limiting factor on those cards, your card is mini itx type, which propable has only 1x 6pin pcie plug, which limits your gpu auto overclock to 150watts, some another 1060s (like msi gaming x) has 8pin which has 225watts tdp can clock higher

the only thing you could do is:
lower voltage, this will clok your card slightly higher, plug your gpu fan to external controller, this will also save you few watts so your gpu could clock slightly higher, thats as much you can do, or you can diy extra power to it...

Lutfij

Titan
What is it with people going to Usebenchmark and posting threads here about underperforming PC's?

Can you list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Did you uninstall and reinstall your GPU drivers? Assuming you've tried gaming with your system and it's lagging...?

Dec 5, 2018

I wasn't sure how else to test the performance of my parts, a lot of people seemed to use Usebenchmark so i thought it was reliable haha.

Here are the specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K Hex Core LGA 1151-2 3.70GHz Unlocked CPU Processor
Motherboard: MSI B360M MORTAR LGA 1151-2 Micro ATX Motherboard
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 CL14 2400MHz Memory
SSD/HDD: Intel 760p 128GB M.2 3D2 TLC NVMe SSD / Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB BarraCuda 3.5" SATA3
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Aero ITX 6GB OC Video Card
PSU: Thermaltake SMART RGB 600W 80 PLUS Power Supply
Chassis: Thermaltake Versa H18 Windowed Micro-ATX Case

I just updated my BIOS to the latest version, the benchmark was the same. Also tried reinstalling my GPU drivers, no improvement :(

Yes I've tried gaming and it's just not getting the fps I thought it would, it's also very inconsistent with the fps it gets.

Thanks for the reply!

your GPU is running fine
userbenchmark lists all 1060s variations, your gpu is within expected performance range of that card, some peoples have higher score than you, but they have different card, even if gpu chip is same, tdp limit is limiting factor on those cards, your card is mini itx type, which propable has only 1x 6pin pcie plug, which limits your gpu auto overclock to 150watts, some another 1060s (like msi gaming x) has 8pin which has 225watts tdp can clock higher

the only thing you could do is:
lower voltage, this will clok your card slightly higher, plug your gpu fan to external controller, this will also save you few watts so your gpu could clock slightly higher, thats as much you can do, or you can diy extra power to it, here some examples of volt mod cards

Solution
Dec 5, 2018

I see, is there any way for me to look at the performance range of just my card?