[SOLVED] New Gaming PC (Final Thoughts)

agentile

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2012
Hi everyone,

After spending most of last night watching videos, reading articles and painstakingly trying to make decisions, this is where I have fallen.

This will be a prebuilt system from Scan 3XS. I would appreciate any advice on ways to improve and especially areas where I may have gone a little too far and could save money without performance loss.

This system will be for 1080p and in the future 1440p gaming when I upgrade my monitor. My computer is also my media system for TV shows, movies, and general usage.

CPU: R7 2700X
MB: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F
CPU Cooler: be quiet Dark Rock 4
GFX: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB BLACK GAMING
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Module DDR4 3000Mhz
PSU: Corsair Fully Modular RM650X
HD1: Samsung 970 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2 PCIe 3D NVMe SSD/Solid State Drive
HD2: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 Desktop SATA III Hard Drive
Case: Fractal Meshify C

Total inc VAT: £1670

I decided on Ryzen because of value. For the price, you really do seem to get a lot for your money and for the sake of a few FPS, the i7 9700k--which was my other option--seemed very expensive. The money saved has gone into CPU cooling, an upgraded PSU and RGB memory.

Before I make the purchase I'd love to get your opinions.

Solution
That system is a very good performer and the 2700x will allow for future gpu upgrades. The only reccomendation i can make would be an x470 board over the b450, however the b450 board will work fine and allow that cpu to run well at 4.0ghz.
That system is a very good performer and the 2700x will allow for future gpu upgrades. The only reccomendation i can make would be an x470 board over the b450, however the b450 board will work fine and allow that cpu to run well at 4.0ghz.

Solution

agentile

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2012
I was considering saving money on the CPU cooler and going for the Dark Rock Pro 4, would that be enough? I could save another £20 on dropping the RGB Memory too if I was to do that.

The dark rock will keep a 2700x around 60c on full load, & you won't hit full load ever unless you're doing professional rendering or stress testing.

So yeah it's more than enough.

I'd personally pick a better board than the B450 Strix when you're spending that kind of money though.

agentile

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2012
Update. It has arrived! Installing AC: Odyssey and getting everything set up. I also bought myself a S2716DG to go with it. 165Hz with G-Sync, oh yes! Can't wait.

Going from 60 to 165Hz in windows alone is lovely, can't wait to see it in a game.

TRENDING THREADS