Question New gaming PC internal SSD install issue

Joeym28

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hey all, recently got my fiance a gaming PC for her christmas present. The PC I purchased for her was
/iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop SlateMono 239i Intel Core i5 11th Gen 11400F (2.60GHz) 8GB DDR4 480 GB SATA SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Windows 11 Home 64-bit/ , and also additional storage a SK hynix Gold S31 SSD, and we are having some difficulty installing it. I researched it and thought it was compatible, but was I wrong? Since its a prebuilt, the screws to unlatch the cable side of the desktop arent budging so maybe I am trying to install it wrong. Any advice or youtube videos would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The Hynix SSD appears to be a very ordinary SATA drive and should be perfectly compatible.

Do you intend to just use it for storage of some type, or do you intend to put Windows and applications on it?

Do you have a direct link to the PC you bought? I am not familiar with the case, but they can be tough to get into, depending on design.

Reactions: Joeym28

Joeym28

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015

Joeym28

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
That’s what I thought I read, however it’s extremely tight to maneuver inside especially as a pre built, and the side of the case that detaches to access the cables has a screw that keeps turning like it’s stripped, and another screw that won’t budge. So any advice would be greatly appreciated if I could even install the ssd from the inside without taking that side cover off.

Joeym28

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
I can't tell much from the pictures at Newegg, but those certainly look like ordinary thumb screws on the back of the case. You should be able to loosen them by turning them counter clockwise, which should dislodge that side of the case.
Right. I tried that but the bottom screw keeps turning like it’s stripped so I’m unable to get it off.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated if I could even install the ssd from the inside without taking that side cover off.

I'm not following that.

How could you "install the ssd from the inside" if you cannot open the case??

Is the other side of the case also attached by thumbscrews?

Or rivets?

Or?

If that thread is stripped, you likely need to use brute force or a hacksaw, but I'm certainly not telling you to do that.

Is returning the whole thing to Newegg an option?

Do you have access to a local technician or mechanically inclined guy who may be able to do a repair on that stripped thread. It's doable, but a pain.

Maybe others have input?

Joeym28

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
I'm not following that.

How could you "install the ssd from the inside" if you cannot open the case??

Is the other side of the case also attached by thumbscrews?

Or rivets?

Or?

If that thread is stripped, you likely need to use brute force or a hacksaw, but I'm certainly not telling you to do that.

Is returning the whole thing to Newegg an option?

Do you have access to a local technician or mechanically inclined guy who may be able to do a repair on that stripped thread. It's doable, but a pain.

Maybe others have input?
I’m not explaining myself as best as I can and I apologize for that. The ssd is internal, I am able to remove the side of the case with the internal hardware, but not able to remove the opposite side with the cables. I’m inquiring as to whether I can complete the install without utilizing the side of the wires due to not being able to get that side off.

I’m not explaining myself as best as I can and I apologize for that. The ssd is internal, I am able to remove the side of the case with the internal hardware, but not able to remove the opposite side with the cables. I’m inquiring as to whether I can complete the install without utilizing the side of the wires due to not being able to get that side off.

Do I have this correct?

You CAN get inside the case from one side and see the fans, the power supply, the CPU, the motherboard, the hard drive, etc.

If that is correct, all you have to do is;

1; decide where in the case you want to attach the SSD. Attach it there.

2; the SSD needs 2 cables. One goes to the power supply. The other goes to a SATA port, which is likely on the edge of the motherboard.

You shouldn't have to remove the other side panel of the case.

I have zero experience with Ibuypower hardware, so anything is possible.

I assume you have the PC manual.