[SOLVED] New Gaming PC, low FPS

Sep 18, 2019
Hello guys! I recently bought a gaming pc with these components:

i7 9700k 3.6GHz with CPU ID-Cooling Chromaflow 240 RGB
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 windforce2x
Corsair Vengeance LPX black 16gb 3000mhz
SSD Samsung 970 evo plus
Corsair TX650M 80+ gold

I also have a Dell monitor, with G-Sync, 2k and 144hz.

My problem is that i mostly play PUBG, and in the game i barely reach 100-110 fps with all settings on low.. also the game doesn't reach more than 144 fps, idk why, it is not capped.. I mean i have some friends with weaker components that have more fps than me. How is that possible? What can i do, or, what have i done wrong?

Solution
You definitely need to fix the one ram stick. You pretty much shot yourself in the foot with that move.
You're covered on the capacity, but not bandwidth, which the cpu would like.

Single stick configs are not ideal in gaming oriented PCs.

Now, do you want to play a mixed ram game? A new 2x 8GB kit, or just adding another 16GB stick?
-Memory is only guaranteed to work as sold.
-Kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - this is simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate.
-The symptoms do not always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, and BSODs.

EDIT: You're better off not using any monitor's overclock mode. It increases refresh rate at the cost of overshoot(high margin of error). It increases the...

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
did you build the system your self or is it prebuilt?
did you play around with anything in your BIOS if so can you specify what they were?

once you boot open up task manager and see if your system has 100% cpu or memory usage or hdd usage. (could be a virus or bloatware affecting system performance)

check your power management you should be either on balanced or high performance profile.

have you seated the gpu in the x16 slot? the top pci-e slot/1st pci-e slot should be where your gpu is installed.

where have you connected your monitor? did you happen to connect it at the back of the motherboard or to your gpu? make sure its connected to your gpu you could have been running on i-gpu this whole time.

have you seated the ram in their proper slots, them being 2nd and 4th slot FROM your cpu." | x | x "

it might not help a lot but did you set your xmp profile properly?

did you upgrade from an old gpu or an amd gpu? if so try using DDU and do clean install of your GPU drivers.

which os are you running? have you tried doing a clean install of windows and see if the problem still happens?

these are the most common mistakes and problems i can think of on top of my head but if your problems persist try these to further check the root of the problem.

when you play try using these programs.
MSI Afterburner
HWinfo64

msi afterburner has an in game overlay which you can set to show GPU and cpu usage and temps, check if something is wonky there. you should see 90~100% gpu usage with cpu around 10 to 30% usage or upto 50% if you run some stuff in the background.

have HWinfo64 open then minimized, after you play for about 5-10min
after you test your game, like in buildings or firefights, maximize HWinfo64 again and check temps for cpu and gpu.
you could also be getting horrible temperatures for both your cpu and gpu.
check the boost/clock speeds for your cpu and gpu see if they are hitting the speed they are supposed to hit.

Reactions: Spywaree
Sep 18, 2019
Ok, here we go:

• i build the system myself
  • i did not played around in bios
  • when i boot, in task manager everything has low percentage
  • power management is set on high performance
  • gpu is installed in the right slot
  • the monitor is connected to GPU with a Display Port cable
  • i have only 1 ram card (1x16gb)
  • i did not upgrade, all components are new, purchased at the end of july
  • i am running windows 10
  • i have been used CAM to see info about my temperatures, and it goes max 80 degrees for GPU and max 67 for CPU, i don't kinda know how to set and work with boost/clock speed. Still i did some changes on GPU fan speed cuz when i was gaming gpu was going like 88 degrees and that scared me a little bit.

P.S.: One friend told me to overclock the monitor, so i've set the monitor to 165hz and the grafic card to 165hz and now my fps SOMETIMES go a little higher. Still, i don't feel like it's running smoothly.. Maybe my pc it's fine and it's fro m the game, or, i don't know..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You definitely need to fix the one ram stick. You pretty much shot yourself in the foot with that move.
You're covered on the capacity, but not bandwidth, which the cpu would like.

Single stick configs are not ideal in gaming oriented PCs.

Now, do you want to play a mixed ram game? A new 2x 8GB kit, or just adding another 16GB stick?
-Memory is only guaranteed to work as sold.
-Kits of the same brand and specs can still fail - this is simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate.
-The symptoms do not always show up right away: freezing/crashing, stuttering, and BSODs.

EDIT: You're better off not using any monitor's overclock mode. It increases refresh rate at the cost of overshoot(high margin of error). It increases the ghosting effects.
Overclocking the gpu at this point will just further increase the cpu limitation caused by running the single memory stick.

Last edited:
Solution

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Ok, here we go:

• i build the system myself
  • i did not played around in bios
  • when i boot, in task manager everything has low percentage
  • power management is set on high performance
  • gpu is installed in the right slot
  • the monitor is connected to GPU with a Display Port cable
  • i have only 1 ram card (1x16gb)
  • i did not upgrade, all components are new, purchased at the end of july
  • i am running windows 10
  • i have been used CAM to see info about my temperatures, and it goes max 80 degrees for GPU and max 67 for CPU, i don't kinda know how to set and work with boost/clock speed. Still i did some changes on GPU fan speed cuz when i was gaming gpu was going like 88 degrees and that scared me a little bit.

P.S.: One friend told me to overclock the monitor, so i've set the monitor to 165hz and the grafic card to 165hz and now my fps SOMETIMES go a little higher. Still, i don't feel like it's running smoothly.. Maybe my pc it's fine and it's fro m the game, or, i don't know..

yea have to agree 1 stick of ram is really not ideal. try getting a new kit of 2x8gb, dont risk getting another single 16gb it could work even if its the same model but sometimes bad things happen and you'd have 2 sticks of useless ram at that point. this could be the main culprit on your performance problem.

now try this, get msi afterburner enable the overlay that shows you your cpu and gpu clock speeds and temps while you are in game.
now look up your max frequency for your gpu , for your cpu it should hit 4.6ghz while in game, see if both your cpu or gpu is hitting the desired clock speed.

now if it doesnt hit the desired clock speed especially with your gpu it could be a temperature issue, 80-88c is fine for a gpu tbh but its still toasty you can try to remove the side panel of your case and see if you see any performance boost from there. for your cpu its normal to get around those temps.

also, with everything looking normal and fine, the only remaining culprit aside from the single ram and temperatures is your psu, its a good psu but it could still be faulty. if you have a friend who can lend you a quality powersupply you can test if you get these horrible frame rates while in game, since it could be a power delivery issue. obviously do this step with care since you will be handling your pc once again so yea be careful.

Sep 18, 2019
Hey guys, i know i have to fix the single ram kit issue but i read something about XMP option in bios. I activated it, and my fps goes much much higher. In game i have like 120+ now, and it's really an upgrade from 70-80 fps constant.

Last edited: