[SOLVED] New Gaming PC - Should I upgrade my monitor?

Dec 31, 2020
You guys are the pros....so, I knew I should ask my question here. In advance, thank you for taking time to give me your opinions.

I am currently waiting to receive a PC that I ordered from NZXT. The Specs of my new gaming PC are as follows:

• NZXT H710I (BLACK) CASE
  • ASROCK Z490 TAICHI MOBO
  • INTEL CORE I9-10850K 10-CORE 3.6GHZ CPU
  • NZXT KRAKEN X73 CPU COOLER
  • ASUS GEFORCE RTX™ 3080 TUF GAMING OC O10G GPU
  • TEAM T-FORCE XTREEM ARGB 4000MHZ (MAX SPEED) 32GB (2X16GB) RAM
  • SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 2.0 TB SSD
  • WD BLUE 3D NAND 2.0 TB SSD
  • EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W G5 GOLD PSU
  • WINDOWS 10 PRO SOFTWARE
My current main gaming/streaming display is an Alienware AW3418DW. Here is a quick link to the specs: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/494fdf1

I am considering upgrading my display and purchasing the Samsung 32" Odyssey G7 monitor. Here is a quick link to that monitor's specs: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/128c1f95

Here is a side by side comparison of both monitors, making it really easy to see the difference: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/249a12bf97

What is your opinion about upgrading to the Samsung monitor from my current Alienware monitor, in terms of gaming and streaming?

Thank you, again, for taking the time to offer your opinion or suggestions.........it is greatly appreciated.

Solution
I would stick with the Alienware. It has more ports, , is larger, and has an IPS panel which means it has better colors. The only reason to get the samsung monitor would be if you wanted higher refresh rates or HDR. Which are nice but not worth the price tag if you're replacing your alienware with this monitor. The 3080 should be able to pull some high FPS that would utilize the higher refresh rate of the samsung monitor, which is the most compelling reason to get it, but honestly not many people can tell the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz. So that point is sort of null. It's up to you, do you want higher refresh rates and HDR but with a smaller screen and less color fidelity OR do you want the best colors and wider screen but...
I would stick with the Alienware. It has more ports, , is larger, and has an IPS panel which means it has better colors. The only reason to get the samsung monitor would be if you wanted higher refresh rates or HDR. Which are nice but not worth the price tag if you're replacing your alienware with this monitor. The 3080 should be able to pull some high FPS that would utilize the higher refresh rate of the samsung monitor, which is the most compelling reason to get it, but honestly not many people can tell the difference between 144Hz and 240Hz. So that point is sort of null. It's up to you, do you want higher refresh rates and HDR but with a smaller screen and less color fidelity OR do you want the best colors and wider screen but moderate refresh rates coupled with a card that can pull more than 120FPS for most titles at 1440p?

If it was me I'd just stick with the Alienware if it's not showing any issues or anything that bothers you upfront.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS