new gaming pc - very poor performance in csgo

CharAznable

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
I recently purchased this PC http://www.ebuyer.com/753731-cyberpower-gaming-ice-warrior-pc-ecc01503?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51482419139&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzNfDBRD2xKrO4pSnnOkBEiQAbzzeQUHB2WelPqES1b_yvv3UlZ8gHCg2XLIPjRcwcc70pcIaAqWc8P8HAQ

AMD Quad Core FX 4300 3.8GHz 8GB RAM + 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Windows 10 Home 64bit

I'm playing on 1024 x 768 black bars. I knew when i bought it it wasn't super amazing, but i thought it would at least be able to run CSGO at decent FPS (i would be happy with 200 stable). However despite me trying every FPS improvement guide i can find, my FPS is often >150 and sometimes it even goes below 100 when there is a lot going on. I've posted on other boards as well, but i was hoping someone here might be able to tell me if there is any way for me achieve a stable 200 FPS with this machine? i was looking at changing the CPU to an i5 or something like that? any help would be much appreciated as my attempts at solo research have left me baffled & frustrated.

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo CharAznable

It does indeed seem like a CPU bottleneck. If you want to 'minimize' the bottleneck, you should turn up the resolution to put more stress on GPU. Since it's just waiting for the CPU to do its job, you might as well give the GPU some more more work to do with some extra pixels to render.
You could try overclock your CPU. I won't say how much it would help, but seeing you're not getting "acceptable"(?) framerates, it might be a good idea, just to squeeze the last bit of power left in the CPU.

Good luck solving the problem!

CharAznable

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

lol, i lowered my resolution to the above thinking it would boost my fps. :(

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016

Sadly enough no. Your GPU is more than capable of running CS:GO at even 4K with high fps. Ramp up the resolution and observe if the fps drops or stay the same.

Lets presume we are talking about a game with all details at max, if a cpu can render in that game 200 fps (for the cpu it does not matter the resolution, it can render 200 fps, period) and you have a gtx 1080, at 720p you will have 200 fps (limited by the cpu) but the videocard it is used 20%, increasing the resolution to 1080p you will still get 200fps (again limited by the cpu) but the videocard it is used 87% now, increasing to 4k now you will get 120 fps, why? Because now you are limited by the videocard. You must find balance between cpu usage and videocard usage, usually increasing the resolution and the fps stays the same you are limited by the cpu, if you increase the resolution and the fps drops then a better videocard is needed. Higher resolution more stress on the videocard, lower resolution, videocard is capable producing more fps but the cpu might not handle such a large number of fps and you will be limited by the cpu then. Hope i made my self understood how this thing works.

CharAznable

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

thank you for your reply, yes i understood you just fine. i just tested a bunch of different resolutions and the the FPS was pretty much identical. so i'm assuming its a CPU issue.

CharAznable

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

would it be viable to simply replace the existing CPU with an i5?

CharAznable

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a haswell build? i want to keep as many of my existing components as possible.