[SOLVED] New Gaming PC Wont Boot or Post. No fans, no signal. DOA? Please help!

May 12, 2020
So I just received my new custom built gaming pc off of Ebay and immediately upon turning it on, I am already experiencing no boot or post, no signal, no spinning fans, and 2 red led lights on the motherboard. One for where there's a "START" button, and one for the CPU. They both stay on continuously.

The specs for my new gaming PC are:

Ryzen 5 3600x
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 Super
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero Mobo
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHZ RAM
EVGA 600W PSU
Antec C400 120mm White Cooler
NZXT H510 case

This is my first gaming computer and I'm not sure as to what to do next or how to get this thing up and running.
I've already been researching for a few days and am at my wits end to finding a solution. As I mentioned earlier, the intricacies of computer parts are still very new to me so I have refrained from taking anything apart for now.

If there is anyone who could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

~James

Solution
Sorry to hear, it can be a crapshoot even getting new PC parts and building from scratch. Hopefully the seller takes it back. If not I suggest seeing if you can get your hands on a really low end power supply. An 600w EVGA (while not great) could run you about 40 bucks. There not fun to setup. But it could prevent you from having really pricy paper weight.
May 12, 2020
Yes I was assuming it had something to do with the cpu or its fan, but I'm not sure what to do about it next.

As far as I see, no numbers. If you're referring to those Q led's in the corner, yes I was expecting them to turn on.

Does this mean I would have to get a new cpu? Or would simply taking it apart and reattaching it might help? Thank you so much for your quick response.

May 12, 2020
maybe your CPU cable isn't plugged in?
The red lights tell us there is a fault somewhere. In this case there is a CPU error. (section 1.1.8)
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...2.1659704941.1589306635-1887061650.1585598718
Is there a number that lights up as well? If so in section A-1 there is a table that tells you what each code means.

Yes I was assuming it had something to do with the cpu or its fan, but I'm not sure what to do about it next.

As far as I see, no numbers. If you're referring to those Q led's in the corner, yes I was expecting them to turn on.

Does this mean I would have to get a new cpu? Or would simply taking it apart and reattaching it might help? Thank you so much for your quick response.

May 12, 2020
maybe your CPU cable isn't plugged in?

If so, where would I find it? ..Isn't this it?

IMG-20200512-113757.jpg

My first thought is that the motherboard doesn't have a current enough BIOS for the CPU. While that one is supposed to be Ryzen 3000 ready, there is no guarantee that you didn't get one that was made before the builtin BIOS update. You need to be on BIOS 2304 or later for the CPU to work. I believe your motherboard does allow for BIOS update without a CPU installed so that might be what you need to do.

D

Deleted member 2720853

That's the 4 pronged cable coming out of the fan right?

Would you happen to know of any resources/instructions on how to go about doing that? Thank you! :)
That cable is for plugging in the cooler to the motherboard, there should be an 8-pin CPU power cable from your power supply (ATX12V, EPS12V) that you need to plug into the appropriate motherboard slot. Check the picture above I sent, and check jeremyj_83's advice about your motherboards' BIOS.

May 12, 2020
My first thought is that the motherboard doesn't have a current enough BIOS for the CPU. While that one is supposed to be Ryzen 3000 ready, there is no guarantee that you didn't get one that was made before the builtin BIOS update. You need to be on BIOS 2304 or later for the CPU to work. I believe your motherboard does allow for BIOS update without a CPU installed so that might be what you need to do.

If that's the case, how do I get it to accept the new BIOS update if I can't get it to boot? Does this mean I'm going to have to take off the cpu to get it to update? I apologize for the dumb questions as I'm still very green to all of this. Are there resources/ links that you would know of that could tell me how to do this?

May 12, 2020
That cable is for plugging in the cooler to the motherboard, there should be an 8-pin CPU power cable from your power supply (ATX12V, EPS12V) that you need to plug into the appropriate motherboard slot. Check the picture above I sent, and check jeremyj_83's advice about your motherboards' BIOS.

I checked the above picture you mentioned and yes, the 8 pin cable is plugged in. Thank you and will do!

If that's the case, how do I get it to accept the new BIOS update if I can't get it to boot? Does this mean I'm going to have to take off the cpu to get it to update? I apologize for the dumb questions as I'm still very green to all of this. Are there resources/ links that you would know of that could tell me how to do this?
I've never used a motherboard with the ability to update without a CPU. However, my guess is the CPU doesn't need to be in the motherboard to get into the BIOS. At which point you update the BIOS with a USB stick, I think. Check your motherboard manual for more information.

May 12, 2020
I've never used a motherboard with the ability to update without a CPU. However, my guess is the CPU doesn't need to be in the motherboard to get into the BIOS. At which point you update the BIOS with a USB stick, I think. Check your motherboard manual for more information.

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it. I'll do just that.

May 12, 2020
Okay, so I attempted to update the BIOS with a USB stick, and still ...nothing.
The manual states that after pressing the BIOS button on the back it should stop blinking. It did, but then the light remained solid. I guess supposedly this means that the BIOS flashback isn't working properly?

Would attempting to update this way possibly harm the computer in any way?
I'm at a loss on what to do next. At this point would you still recommend that I take off and reattach the cpu?

STEVED12

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
So I just received my new custom built gaming pc off of Ebay and immediately upon turning it on, I am already experiencing no boot or post, no signal, no spinning fans, and 2 red led lights on the motherboard. One for where there's a "START" button, and one for the CPU. They both stay on continuously.

The specs for my new gaming PC are:

Ryzen 5 3600x
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060 Super
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero Mobo
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHZ RAM
EVGA 600W PSU
Antec C400 120mm White Cooler
NZXT H510 case

This is my first gaming computer and I'm not sure as to what to do next or how to get this thing up and running.
I've already been researching for a few days and am at my wits end to finding a solution. As I mentioned earlier, the intricacies of computer parts are still very new to me so I have refrained from taking anything apart for now.

If there is anyone who could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

~James

I suggest that you check the PSU, you mentioned that the fans are not even spinning, if you have another PSU try to install it mainly the plug of the MB CPU and GPU see if it will work and post to the BIOS screen. It could be that for some reason, the MB is not receiving enough power

May 12, 2020
I suggest that you check the PSU, you mentioned that the fans are not even spinning, if you have another PSU try to install it mainly the plug of the MB CPU and GPU see if it will work and post to the BIOS screen. It could be that for some reason, the MB is not receiving enough power

You know, that did cross my mind but at the same time I haven't been sure as to how far a PSU can be pushed in relation to the CPU and graphics card as I'm still very new when it comes to PC building.

Unfortunately I don't have another PSU as this is officially my first gaming computer and I already saved every spare dime I had when I bought it.

This thing has already given me way more trouble than I bargained for so I think the best bet would be to just return it to the seller and chock this up as a learning experience.

May 12, 2020
The user manual also describes an Internet- bases BIOS update on page 3-27. Did you try that?

You know, I didn't but I think I'm already waaaaay over my head when it comes to PC troubleshooting.

At this point I believe the best bet would be for me to just return it to the seller rather than risking any potential damage.

I'm thankful for everyone's help though!

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Sorry to hear, it can be a crapshoot even getting new PC parts and building from scratch. Hopefully the seller takes it back. If not I suggest seeing if you can get your hands on a really low end power supply. An 600w EVGA (while not great) could run you about 40 bucks. There not fun to setup. But it could prevent you from having really pricy paper weight.

Solution