OR open to suggestion)

OS drive
Samsung 970 PRO 1TB m.2 NVME
OR Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB m.2 NVME
OR ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB m.2

2nd SSD
Corsair MP510 2TB m.2 NVME

Windows 10 flash drive

I am considering building a new computer. I have been quite torn between i7-8700k, i7-9700k, i9-9900k. The i9 seems to be running hot as hell so that makes me shy away from it. I prefer air cooling over water mainly because I'm more familiar with it than liquid but closed loop CPU coolers seem pretty simple besides the radiators sitting behind case intake fans? Or exhaust fans at the top?
Anyways my main goal is to get good performance, low heat, no OC necessary. I go for stability and longevity, hardware is way ahead of software right now.

My main questions are:
CPU 8700k vs 9700k (the 9700k has no HT but has 8 cores and seems similar in performance) or wait for gen 10.

RAM 32GB vs 64GB (mostly unneccessary) 3000 vs 3200

Video card brands/variants (mostly set on RTX 2080)

Hard drives (want 2 m.2 drives, I have the money and want to be future proofed for a bit)

The last PC I built was overkill and it lasted me several years with only SSD and graphics upgrades. So I'm really looking for something with good airflow/cooling, low strain on components and longevity. Please comment on any and all pieces you are willing. Thank you :)

why 32GB? Are you anywhere near limits on a 16GB system? I'd take 16GB of very fast over 32 of moderately fast ram? If i'm using lightroom or PS I might start to get close to 15GB of usage, but never gaming, so do you really need 32GB? if not and you actually have that budget, and you have the screen size and refresh rate then a 2080ti might be better.

Nicely thought out between the 9700k and the 9900k. Considered ryzen 3000?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
CPU 8700k vs 9700k (the 9700k has no HT but has 8 cores and seems similar in performance) or wait for gen 10.

There is very little to seperate them in real terms, the 9900k would be better but is usually outrageously more expensive. Theoretically the 9700k could generate less heat in certain chip locations without HT but that's open for debate. I would potentially consider a new gen Ryzen build.

Don't worry about air vs water cooling. There is little to seperate them nowadays outside of budget, size, and aesthetics. Top end air coolers perform the same if not better than AIO water coolers, so go with what fits your needs more (I.e. budget).

RAM 32GB vs 64GB (mostly unneccessary) 3000 vs 3200

What are you planning on using it for? If it's gaming, 16GB will still be plenty. Equally if you go Ryzen, you'll probably be better with 3200. Intel, maybe little difference between them so it would come down to budget.

If you have said "mostly unnecessary" then you are wasting money - if you have 32GB and your most RAM heavy application only uses 15GB, you have 17GB of RAM sitting there doing absolutely nothing except drawing power - unless you happen to be running 600+ tabs on chrome.

Video card brands/variants (mostly set on RTX 2080)

I'd say go again for what suits your budget and aesthetic requirements best, personally I'm a huge fan of MSI, after that probably ASUS, becuase I find their software support also fantastic.

Hard drives (want 2 m.2 drives, I have the money and want to be future proofed for a bit)

Again depends, M2 drives in real life are no faster than standard SATA 2.5 SSDs. M2s are only really showing a big difference in benchmarks, but in real world performance, the difference in negligible. Ultimately you're still handicapped by what an application can pull. Theoretically future applications may utilise this more, but I can't see a strong case for this just yet.

jerusalem

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: June or July (but can wait longer if something exciting is imminent)

Budget Range: ~$3000-$3500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, movies, coding, web design, SEO

Are you buying a monitor:
No (but currently have 2 Asus 1ms 144hz gaming monitors. Open to suggestions if something can significantly outperform them or is preferred these days)

Parts to Upgrade: Full Build

Do you need to buy OS:
Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:Amazon (prime + 5% cash back, but newegg in the past and open to suggestions)

Parts Preferences:
preferred Intel in the past but AMD has some exciting new 7nm.
EVGA graphics cards
Gskill RAM
Gigabyte mobos (Asus in the past but gigabyte seems to have top notch VRM nowadays)
Samsung SSDs

Open-minded if you make a good argument for/against

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 but open to new tech

Additional Comments: priorities are low temps, good performance, stability, longevity.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm running an i7-2600k with GTX Titan and 16GB RAM. Still running strong but just getting a bit long in the tooth. May be time to upgrade.

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
Intel core i7-9700k
Gskill trident z RGB RAM 32GB 3000mhz
Cougar panzer evo rgb
Corsair AX850
EVGA RTX 2080 XC ultra gaming
Samsung 970pro 1TB m.2 NVME
Corsair mp510 2TB m.2 NVME
Noctua nhd15 cooler
Windows 10

Open to all suggestions and advice. Also hoping that cooler fits that mobo and case. I may have to raise the fan above the RAM a bit.

jerusalem

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
The main reason for 2080 vs 2080 Ti is it appears the Ti doesnt have much performance gain for $400 more. But I do usually get the most aggressive card. Just waiting for something truly impressive (like the titan was to me when it came out) but open to arguments on performance gains.

16GB RAM is probably plenty but I remember my last PC I did 16GB when everyone said 8GB was plenty. So I'm kind of torn the 32GB kit is relatively cheap these days but again probably dont need that much, maybe for future?

I was a huge AMD fan in the 90s and early 2000s. I had a k6-2 a k7(athlon) and I think my last AMD was a phenom. Intel started to really surpass them and I switched over but it appears they are closing the gap or even starting to surpass Intel (especially that 7nm at computex!) So I'm kind of torn now.

jerusalem

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Alright so perhaps I will put this project on hold pending next gen releases. Any other thoughts component wise for the build? I will technically spend whatever is needed to build a long living stabile and cool PC I just try to weigh the performance/$ I am obviously willing to pay a premium for certain overkill components though. If price of entry on a component is $300 I dont mind paying $400 for a significant jump or even a moderate jump in performance because it is simply a 33% increase if that logic makes sense. Not trying to buy crazy stuff just for fun and bragging rights but willing to pay a bit more for something for future proofing or boost :). Thanks for all the replies so far. PC tailor thanks for the breakdown of multiple points and 13th monkey sound like he might have a good point.

jerusalem

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Also from looking at PCIe lane sharing and allocation it appears 2 - m.2 nvme drives could run in x4 off of chipset (or would they split x2 x2 ? As far as I am aware it is about 960MB/sec per lane please correct me if I am wrong). So would 2 m.2 nvme drives run both at x4 or split the lanes x2 and x2? . It also appears that sata slots are disabled if using all 3 m.2 slots. Im new to m.2 nvme so I am just trying to make sure I am not setting up half speed drives by using 2 - m.2) The GPU slot 1 will run x16 off of CPU if my understanding is correct.

Again wait and see the reviews will cover it on the x570 boards. Sometimes 1 m.2 will kill off 2 Sata, certainly if it is a sata m.2 and not NVME.

But keep researching and pulling questions together so that you know what you need answers for when the reviews come out.